BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 01:09 AM   #1
pr0pel

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Default Thinking of switching to BB

Please Login to Remove!

Although BB's are widely available in my company, people are telling me that web access has been disabled and the BB's are locked for company email only. I asked if I can purchase my own BB and have them add it but the BES admin told me no (due to security). Since I manage 2 exchange boxes, one being a shared support email address, the BES admin also told me that the BB's are incapable of addressing 2 exchange boxes. (In Outlook, I have my own personal company email and another "inbox" where support emails can be viewed/replied by the few support staff we have)

I wanted to know what my options are at this point?

Is there an alternative way to sync my work outlook/calendar with a personal BB? Granted if I get my own, I'll have it check more than the 2 work emails and also use it to surf the web. I didn't know if it was possible to have it synced up even though the BES admin said wasn't possible.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2006, 10:15 AM   #2
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0pel
Is there an alternative way to sync my work outlook/calendar with a personal BB?
Based on what you have said, not without breaking a number of security rules.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-14-2006, 10:21 AM   #3
neutral
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Cu/Bo
Carrier: Verizon/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fisher
Based on what you have said, not without breaking a number of security rules.
I've never used redirector so this may not even remotely work. But just a suggestion....

What about redirector on a desktop which has more than one mailbox opened in the same profile?
Old 05-14-2006, 10:37 AM   #4
pr0pel

Model: 8800

Or I guess I can setup a rule in outlook to forward emails going to both inboxes to my *blackberry.net email right? The ony problem with this is that it won't be synced up if I reply to something. I also want emails going to the second inbox to have a reply to: or something different than my personal email.

I've been reading about the BB desktop manager and I'm unsure if it will sync my inboxes without using BES. Is this the same as the redirector software? I'm guessing calendars are a no go without BES but I can live with that if I can have my inboxes synced up.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:02 PM   #5
radimus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0pel
Or I guess I can setup a rule in outlook to forward emails going to both inboxes to my *blackberry.net email right? The ony problem with this is that it won't be synced up if I reply to something. I also want emails going to the second inbox to have a reply to: or something different than my personal email.

I've been reading about the BB desktop manager and I'm unsure if it will sync my inboxes without using BES. Is this the same as the redirector software? I'm guessing calendars are a no go without BES but I can live with that if I can have my inboxes synced up.
If your organization has rules against forwarding company email to an outside address you might have problems with forwarding everything to the blackberry.net address.

If you install Desktop Manager and set it for the Redirector is shouldn't talk to nor care about the BES server. Calendar, Notes, and all that won't sy wirelessly but you might be able to get your email.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:04 PM   #6
RLLD
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290
PIN: 23F7DB5F

If you just want to sync the calendar, or some other PIM folder, yes there is a way.

In your personal account add ownership permissions for your business account to the overall information store, and then also to the specific folder to which you want to sync.

Then adjust your business profile settings so that it also opens up your pesonal account when you login. This will create an additional entry in the folder list on your business account for your personal folder. Once it exists in this manner you can sync to those folder as though they were local resources.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:32 PM   #7
bb_frustrates_me
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290

Get a Windows mobile device if your company is using Exchange 2003 with SP2. You can't have two email addresses configured at once but you can change the mail server name and appropriate account details to check your email, there's no messing around with account activations. It can sync email, contacts, tasks and calendar. It uses direct push technology and you can control when the device checks for new email messages. It's not an ideal solution against BlackBerry just yet but no doubt it soon will be.
Closed Thread