BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 06-02-2006, 12:34 PM   #1
rsuplido

Model: 8700C
Default Nokia E61: BES or Mail for Exchange?

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, I just saw an app for the Nokia 61 to sync directly with exchange called Mail for Exchange. The manual says:
Mail for Exchange is software that allows you to use the email, calendar, and contacts (address book) of your Microsoft Exchange account on your mobile phone. Keeping the entries on your mobile phone identical to the entries on your Microsoft Exchange account is possible through the process of synchronization.

Synchronization makes the email, calendar, and contacts content on your mobile phone identical to the content of your Microsoft Exchange account. You can customize the way you synchronize by setting up a profile in which you can:
• Select the content you want to synchronize - email, calendar,
contacts, or all three.
• Set up a schedule by which Mail for Exchange automatically
synchronizes. (You can also synchronize manually at any time.)
• Resolve content conflicts during synchronization by specifying
whether the content of your account on the Microsoft
Exchange server or your mobile phone prevails when a conflict
occurs.
• Select Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) to increase the security
between your mobile phone and the Microsoft Exchange
server.
Someone from ZDNet ( blogs.zdnet.com / mobile-gadgeteer / ?p=15 ) had his E61 work with Exchange. Now, If the Nokia E61 has this already, why use BES? Any thoughts?
Old 06-05-2006, 02:23 AM   #2
RxistKJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T

I have Exchange for Mail working on my E61 on T-Mobile. I used a BB for 3 years (BIS) and paid an additional $19.99/month for this service without calendar or PIM synchronization. Now, with Exchange for Mail, I only pay for T-Mobile's unlimited T-Zones ($5.99/month) and get e-mail, calendar, and PIM synchronization. I have noticed my e-mail reaches my E61 before it reaches my Outlook inbox. But I still miss the BB OS, trackwheel, and multicolor light indicator. Overall, if e-mail is your priority, BB is a superior device. However, if you want bells and whistles with a decent e-mail client, the E61 with Mail for Exchange is a better fit.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:03 PM   #3
stufried
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: E61
Carrier: Eitislat
Thumbs up

You asked why BES was superior to Mail2Exchange. From what I can tell, the following are the best reasons for preferring BES:

* If you ever travel outside your home country, there are Blackberry programs which include unlimited Blackberry roaming. Further, even if you do not sign up for such a program, Blackberry roaming is generally cheaper because less data is typically passed in a Blackberry mail download because of the smart server;

* Blackberry mail is push mail. It is automatically sent to you. The quote from the manual you posted sounds like pull mail;

* If your device gets lost or stolen, you can remotely wipe it with Blackberry;

* It sounds like you might need to run a mail2exchange client on a PC some place. If that PC goes down, your e-mail gets shut off;

If you have to pay for your own BES access, these advantages might not be compelling enough to pop for BES access, but that is what I see.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:03 PM   #4
Lex Luthor
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

---posted in wrong thread---

Last edited by Lex Luthor; 06-05-2006 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: Edited/Removed
Old 06-05-2006, 07:58 PM   #5
RxistKJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stufried
* It sounds like you might need to run a mail2exchange client on a PC some place. If that PC goes down, your e-mail gets shut off;
With regards to the above, Mail for Exchange does not require client software on a PC that is always on. I simply configured a connection to my company's Exchange Server on my E61 which stays on all the time via EDGE or WLAN depending on my location.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:48 PM   #6
michael.kaplan1

Model: e61
Carrier: tmobile

Im curious if you can help with this. I have dowloaded a single user BES and when calling BB for support they are offering none. They claim you need to find the BES icon on your E61 in order to make it work. Do you have any idea how to do that?

Going nuts all week.....suffering with the redirector. thank you
Old 06-11-2006, 12:26 PM   #7
RxistKJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Sorry for the basic question but did you download the BB Client software from the Nokia business software site? (in addition to the single user BES Express)
Old 06-14-2006, 03:50 PM   #8
phantom024

Model: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by stufried
You asked why BES was superior to Mail2Exchange. From what I can tell, the following are the best reasons for preferring BES:

* If you ever travel outside your home country, there are Blackberry programs which include unlimited Blackberry roaming. Further, even if you do not sign up for such a program, Blackberry roaming is generally cheaper because less data is typically passed in a Blackberry mail download because of the smart server;

* Blackberry mail is push mail. It is automatically sent to you. The quote from the manual you posted sounds like pull mail;

* If your device gets lost or stolen, you can remotely wipe it with Blackberry;

If you have to pay for your own BES access, these advantages might not be compelling enough to pop for BES access, but that is what I see.
Just an opinion on some of your ideas from a long time MS Exchange administrator.

1. On certain devices Mail 2 Exchange will maintain a constant connection to the server which will allow for a more "push" like email since whenever a message comes in the phone will automatically pull it in, no need to force or schedule recuring synchronizations like most Active Sync devices.

2. You can remote wipe virtually any Active Sync or Mail 2 Exchange device using a free tool for Exchange from Microsoft called Mobile Admin. I have personaly remotely wiped countless Treo 650's as well as a two Nokia E61 for my organization.

3. No client side software is needed on the desktop for Mail 2 Exchange. It communicates directly with the Exchange Server.

Last edited by phantom024; 06-14-2006 at 03:54 PM..
Old 06-15-2006, 06:37 AM   #9
mrclic
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: SFR

Hi all,
Problem of the exchange push mail is first that Exchange 2003 and last SP is needeed. There is a permanent connection between the device and the exchange server, take 10 MB just for connection. So in foreign countries the cost is enormous.
Another point is that the exchange server should be accessible from outside, a DMZ is required.
And BES offer more parts to manage Blackberries.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:17 AM   #10
stufried
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: E61
Carrier: Eitislat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclic
Hi all,
Problem of the exchange push mail is first that Exchange 2003 and last SP is needeed. There is a permanent connection between the device and the exchange server, take 10 MB just for connection. So in foreign countries the cost is enormous.
Another point is that the exchange server should be accessible from outside, a DMZ is required.
With respect to the firewall, the E61 does have VPN support but I think it is only PPTP which most system admins regard as inadequate security. 128 bit PPTP is subject to a brute force attacks assuming that the user doesn't use a very good password.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:32 AM   #11
passepartout

Model: Nokia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclic
Hi all,
10 MB just for a connection? How do you figure? I am currently using the Mail for Exchange on the E70 (at least until the BBConnect client is out for the phone). I would not doubt that BB is more efficient in terms of bandwidth usage, but I'm doing spot checks and metering the amount of data being sent back and forth between my E70 and it's not amounting to that much. The biggest drawback though is that when I set it to be Always Online, the connection stays active, and my battery drains like there's no tomorrow.

When using the BB Connect on the E61, can anyone confirm whether the Blackberry connection stays open all the time? Or does the connection only get initiated by a push from the server and/or send from the client ?
Old 07-13-2006, 04:24 AM   #12
lrdiaz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T

Using BB connect and I can confirm that it stays connected all the time. It uses 'blackberry2' access point. there is a blackberry1 access point, but i have no idea when it is used.
when receiving or making a call, you get 'Packet data inactive' until conversation is done, then you get the packet data active dialog box.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:51 AM   #13
passepartout

Model: Nokia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrdiaz
Using BB connect and I can confirm that it stays connected all the time. It uses 'blackberry2' access point. there is a blackberry1 access point, but i have no idea when it is used.
when receiving or making a call, you get 'Packet data inactive' until conversation is done, then you get the packet data active dialog box.
What's the battery life like with the BB Connect constantly active?
Old 07-14-2006, 12:09 PM   #14
lrdiaz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T

I always charge overnight, so have not tried to see how long it lasts between charges