Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 07:31 PM   #1
WaxonWaxov
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100g
Angry I want to go back to Cingular 1.8

Please Login to Remove!

Someone please tell me how.

Without webmail, my BlackBerry is useless. I might as well smash it with a hammer.

I really NEED to go back to 1.8. Someone please tell me how.

Don't tell me "someone said how to do it in another thread" I've tried and tried, but can't find said thread. Someone please point me in the right direction.

thanks
Old 06-13-2006, 08:02 PM   #2
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Probably you'll need to call Cingular, have them cancel your BIS account name then register again.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:08 PM   #3
Airmark1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT uhhhh Cingular uhhh I mean ATT

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Strange that you pushed the "Yes go ahead and give me 2.0" link. I actually like the new 2.0. But then again, I am not dealing with the same problem you are. I am not going to smash this wonderful BB with a hammer. At least not yet.

?was it a cat i saw?
Old 06-13-2006, 08:09 PM   #4
Airmark1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT uhhhh Cingular uhhh I mean ATT

?was it a cat i saw?

Last edited by Airmark1; 06-13-2006 at 10:16 PM..
Old 06-13-2006, 08:34 PM   #5
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

See this thread post #224

http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...&highlight=1.8
Old 06-13-2006, 08:51 PM   #6
WaxonWaxov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmark1
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Strange that you pushed the "Yes go ahead and give me 2.0" link.
Silly me, I don't follow these forums that much. I had no idea the change was coming. When I went to open my email this morning at about 7am, half awake, and doped up on Vicadin (had a tooth pulled) all I saw was "update" So I thought, "um, OK"

If I had the slightest dream that it would take away my web email and ruin my blackberry... literally, then of course I would not have done it.

thanks
Old 06-13-2006, 09:30 PM   #7
conker
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
PIN: 249E86E3
Default Why do you want to switch?

Can you offer some details as to why you want to switch? Maybe someone here has found a solution to your problems?
Old 06-13-2006, 09:46 PM   #8
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by conker
Can you offer some details as to why you want to switch? Maybe someone here has found a solution to your problems?
He wants to look at his email on the web not his BB. You lose this with 2.0, and folders too.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:12 AM   #9
WaxonWaxov

I did it! I did it!

I love 1.8! 1.8 rules!

yeeee ha!

Thanks to likefre for his help and to Stinsonddog for pointing me to him.

Just to prove I'm a swell guy, I removed my rated pg avatar!
Old 06-14-2006, 10:39 AM   #10
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxonWaxov
Without webmail, my BlackBerry is useless. I might as well smash it with a hammer.
Not arguing with you, just very curious. Why do you say your BlackBerry is useless without webmail? On every one of my email accounts, both business and personal, I can go to a webmail page to deal with them, OR use Outlook. What does BlackBerry webmail do that you don't already have available via the webmail offered on the mail accounts themselves? Why do you need yet another webmail interface? I thought the whole point of BlackBerry is to make your mail available when you're not in front of a computer and able to pull email up with either a webmail view or your Outlook (or other) mail client. I found the webmail views on BIS 1.8 to be primitive at best, compared to native webmail screens or using Outlook; so personally I never ever used the webmail and its a complete non-issue that its gone away with 2.0.

Last edited by DallasFlier; 06-14-2006 at 10:41 AM..
Old 06-14-2006, 01:03 PM   #11
WaxonWaxov

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier
...What does BlackBerry webmail do that you don't already have available via the webmail offered on the mail accounts themselves? Why do you need yet another webmail interface?
Excellent question. Here is the answer.

The ITnazis here at the company I work work (the name of which is JP, then the name of a popular type of US Silver dollar, then a synonym for "pursue") have blocked all webmail sites. If it has "mail" in the url, it's blocked.

However, the blackberry webmail site under Cingular is NOT blocked, because mainly, it doesn't have "mail" in it's url.

As for Outlook, that won;t work for me either as we use, belive it or not, Lotus Notes here and it's for company email only.

PLUS there's the fact that I'm pretty much never home these days so the only internet interface I have is at work.

clear as mud?

But as I said before, I got back on 1.8 by convincing Cingular to close my BIS account and delete the username, then I went back into their 1.8 site and re-setup as a new user and PRESTO! I'm back on 1.8

Now all I have to do is get them to stop promting me to switch to 2.0 and I'm golden.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:20 PM   #12
mobilehavoc
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: None
Carrier: Cingular
Angry

Quote:
Excellent question. Here is the answer.

The ITnazis here at the company I work work (the name of which is JP, then the name of a popular type of US Silver dollar, then a synonym for "pursue") have blocked all webmail sites. If it has "mail" in the url, it's blocked.

However, the blackberry webmail site under Cingular is NOT blocked, because mainly, it doesn't have "mail" in it's url.

As for Outlook, that won;t work for me either as we use, belive it or not, Lotus Notes here and it's for company email only.

PLUS there's the fact that I'm pretty much never home these days so the only internet interface I have is at work.

clear as mud?

But as I said before, I got back on 1.8 by convincing Cingular to close my BIS account and delete the username, then I went back into their 1.8 site and re-setup as a new user and PRESTO! I'm back on 1.8

Now all I have to do is get them to stop promting me to switch to 2.0 and I'm golden.

I happen to work for the same company and I guess you would even call me one of the top IT nazis.

There's a reason webmail is blocked - but I guess that would have been the obvious and logical conclusion. Have to lower my expectations.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:34 PM   #13
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Quote:
I did it! I did it!

I love 1.8! 1.8 rules!

yeeee ha!

Thanks to likefre for his help and to Stinsonddog for pointing me to him.

Just to prove I'm a swell guy, I removed my rated pg avatar!
We will miss the avatar but it was the right thing to do, and this is why I love being a moderator here.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:36 PM   #14
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

[QUOTE=WaxonWaxov]

QUOTE]

Please post the 1.8 url so others can have it in case.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:26 PM   #15
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: eapple and ham pizza is good

Stinsondog,
You know me as a big user/proponent of the Gmail forward solution on your site. Has anyone nailed down the effects of 2.0 on that setup?

I do not see any advantage to 2.0 for me as I use the Gmail forward, get all my e-mail (from 4 accounts) forwarded instantly and keep a record of all in Outlook by POP with Gmail.

The only thing I could ever look for would be Outlook-BB reconciliation and that is available thru BES if I really needed it, which I don't.

As of right now the Gmail setup is a great solution, am I missing anything by staying @ 1.8 and if I go to 2.0 will that mess up the kbart/stinsondog Gmail forward setup?
Old 06-14-2006, 02:33 PM   #16
calkenneth
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Telenor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfromphilly
Stinsondog,
You know me as a big user/proponent of the Gmail forward solution on your site. Has anyone nailed down the effects of 2.0 on that setup?

I do not see any advantage to 2.0 for me as I use the Gmail forward, get all my e-mail (from 4 accounts) forwarded instantly and keep a record of all in Outlook by POP with Gmail.

The only thing I could ever look for would be Outlook-BB reconciliation and that is available thru BES if I really needed it, which I don't.

As of right now the Gmail setup is a great solution, am I missing anything by staying @ 1.8 and if I go to 2.0 will that mess up the kbart/stinsondog Gmail forward setup?
I'm using that new Gmail setup and the only two benefits I can see are 1) emails associated with that account can now be viewed in a separate inbox, and 2) all emails that you send from the BB are also kept in the conversation trail.

However, I have other POP accounts and would love to forward the emails for faster response times, but can't. Nothing is suitable for forwarding since all emails would merge under the main (aka "Gmail") inbox (if you set-up the settings according to stinsondog's site).

I was going to set-up the POP account in BIS 2.0 but have a filter deny all emails and then forward the emails from that POP server to the blackberry.net address, but I could not get it to separate the emails into the other mailbox.

Everything merged under the main inbox which wouldn't be a problem except that I can't set-up Gmail separately except as a shadow of the main blackberry.net account in BIS 2.0.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:40 PM   #17
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

I don't see any advantages at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfromphilly
Stinsondog,

Old 06-14-2006, 02:45 PM   #18
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

[QUOTE=calkenneth]I'm using that new Gmail setup and the only two benefits I can see are 1) emails associated with that account can now be viewed in a separate inbox, and 2) all emails that you send from the BB are also kept in the conversation trail.
QUOTE]

The conversation trail thing is no big deal to me as I rarely, if ever, go into Gmail. I use Outlook Express at my home office PC and the BB on the road and that is it. Works for me but then again I do not know of any other way...
Old 06-14-2006, 02:46 PM   #19
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
I don't see any advantages at all.

Just checking.....
Old 06-14-2006, 03:10 PM   #20
WaxonWaxov

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehavoc
I happen to work for the same company and I guess you would even call me one of the top IT nazis.

There's a reason webmail is blocked - but I guess that would have been the obvious and logical conclusion. Have to lower my expectations.
The good news I'll only be working here for another 45 days and then Mr. Crystallized Carbon can bite me.
Closed Thread