BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 07:44 AM   #1
yorkie
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default I got an 8707v - modem probs

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I just got an 8707v this morning and have been trying to use it as a 3G modem. Couldn't find any documentation on using it via Bluetooth at all (Blackberry site shows USB connection instructions only)

Under Settings > Bluetooth > Options > Services > I only get:

Headset
Handsfree

Surely I should be seeing "serial port" or "modem" or something under these services?

Anyway, so I carried on and tried it with the USB cable. I installed Device Manager from the CD and got it connected, followed the advice in http://www.blackberry.com/uk/product...e_trial_UK.pdf but i just sat there for ages on "opening port" when I tried to dial-up.

Any suggestions, particularly on getting it to work via BT?

Cheers

Yorkie
Old 06-08-2006, 09:28 AM   #2
cooperpwc
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers

All fair questions. It doesn't sound like the 8707 is enabled for bluetooth modem use which would be consistent with the 8700: bluetooth is headset/handsfree only.
But the real problem is that you're the first kid on the block to get the new 8707. So as the pioneer here, we're all looking forward to hearing how it works when you figure it out. Hack away and good luck!
Old 06-19-2006, 10:13 AM   #3
mrpropaganda

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

I think I got a bit farther on my 8707V. Followed the instructions and it dials up fine, says "Registering computer with the network" and just hangs and then times out with the error "TCP/IP CP reported error 718..."

Log from the modem diagnostics shows:

06-19-2006 16:04:50.216 - Recv: <cr><lf>CONNECT<cr><lf>
06-19-2006 16:04:50.216 - Interpreted response: Connect
06-19-2006 16:04:50.216 - Receive Connect but CD was low, Waiting for signal to go high
06-19-2006 16:04:50.231 - After waiting 20ms CD is still low.

And then it just times out.

Apparently all of the rumor and/or hype about the 3G modem working through bluetooth is not correct. I can find nothing anywhere on this being supported. Hope I am wrong.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:19 AM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Where was there hype/rumor that you could use the Bluetooth as a modem?

I don't recall reading anything. Since that would seriously break RIM's security model (IMHO), I think we'd have heard something about it...
Old 06-19-2006, 10:54 AM   #5
mrpropaganda

Model: 9630

Honestly, I don't care that much about the Bluetooth modem thing anyway, I would just like to get the tethered 3G modem working.

Would be nice is MMS worked as well, but its not on my 8707v either.

So my current opinion of the 8707v...

- It does everything my 8700c does (8700c is unlocked and I use my Vodafone SIM in it when I in my London home) only slower. Its slower, interface-wise, than the 8700c. Think original 7100t speeds here and you have it about right.

- I cannot get the stupid 3G modem to worked tethered. Hopefully this is a short term problem. Because without this working there is really no point in it whatsoever.

- The 8707v works in Japan. Ok, one good thing about it.

- Oh wait, one more. I can receive and send e-mail while using the Blackberry's phone. This actually is kind of nice

PS. I fail to see how a laptop connecting to a BB via Bluetooth to dialout through as an IP modem would be any more of a "security" problem than the laptop using it tethered.

Last edited by mrpropaganda; 06-19-2006 at 10:56 AM..
Old 06-19-2006, 11:55 AM   #6
skygear

Model: 9000
Carrier: Google Voice

would love to see pics of the phone inside and out and the full specs
Old 07-11-2006, 04:52 AM   #7
ronedwards
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: Vodafone

Using the BB8707 after changing from 8700, I can't honestly notice any difference, other than the new cool theme - it's great! Modem on BT still doesn't work :(. I also can't actually notice any speed diff when using the modem ;(.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:09 PM   #8
martinitime

Model: 8707v
Default 8707v Modem

greetings everyone

i have had my first blackberry and 3g phone for just over a week now and i am quite impressed i have to say.

before i had a QTEK GPRS pda which i was quite happy with - big downside no keyboard!!!!

i have succesfully enabled my 3G connection via usb at a truly staggering 115.2kbps!!! which reminds me of 1996 - happy days (talking to you now via this connection)

my questions are

1. can i configure the device to be a dial up or bluetooth modem, rather than just a GPRS/3G modem? when i do a bluetooth connection to my laptop i can make my laptop a hands free headset - (this requires more than three elastic bands and a small amount of double sided tape)

2. when connected 3G/GPRS - can i turn up the speed? (perhaps to the first broadband speeds?)

3. its a vodafone (obviously) connection - is the dial up speed dependant on the network coverage - so far the most bars on my 3G connection i have had are 2 out of 5

i chose this thing based on the blurb on the Blackberry website - have i been taken in terribly???

if so can i have a pearl please

cheers fellas

Martinitime
Old 11-12-2006, 10:50 AM   #9
riggers

Model: 8800
Carrier: o2

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinitime
greetings everyone
1. can i configure the device to be a dial up or bluetooth modem, rather than just a GPRS/3G modem? when i do a bluetooth connection to my laptop i can make my laptop a hands free headset - (this requires more than three elastic bands and a small amount of double sided tape)

You can not use the device as a bluetooth modem.

2. when connected 3G/GPRS - can i turn up the speed? (perhaps to the first broadband speeds?)

Turn up the speed???

3. its a vodafone (obviously) connection - is the dial up speed dependant on the network coverage - so far the most bars on my 3G connection i have had are 2 out of 5

I would think that the better the signal quality the less latent the connection is.

i chose this thing based on the blurb on the Blackberry website - have i been taken in terribly???
Closed Thread