Old 06-18-2006, 11:37 AM   #1
o2mpx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint and ATT
Default Changed over---8700g vs 8700c differences

Please Login to Remove!

Switched from g to c, still on Tmo. Differences are:

1. c is made in Mexico while the g is made in Canada.

2. c keyboard has no play or squishing around while the g did. But the battery cover about same looseness.

3. biggest reason for my switch was the c keyboard feels easier to type on as my thumbs can feel the buttons better, and can be more precise which letter I'm pressing.
If you look at the 2 units from the sides, you'll see the c keyboard almost has a slight rise in the center and bows out, while the g has a curve and dips in the center. Don't know if it's designed in or not. Will be listing g on ebay, maybe after I get an unlock code from Tmo as I've been a long term customer.

4. from other posts about unlocking, called the cingular intl help line and requested an unlock code since I have a # on cing for years that my wife uses, but rep wouldn't agree to it saying I bought the 8700 just now (I upgraded online with cing as my other phone for my wife already's out of contract) and had not used it for 90days.
I asked him nicely to put a request in anyway, and he said it'll not get approved, but the next day, voila, the unlock code came and now I'm using it on Tmo, which is what I have all along. Thanks cingular.

5. just as a side note, from other posts about bluetooth sync, my work laptop is an ibm x41 and has no bluetooth. Bought a Belkin dongle, but couldn't get 8700 to recognize non-microsoft drivers, but followed someone's instruction on how to modify the bluetooth .inf file, loaded the microsoft stack for the Belkin, and got it to sync contacts/calendar finally. I'm on BIS for mail.

This is a great forum, have taken advantage of many posts. Thanks all...
Old 06-19-2006, 09:59 PM   #2
phonemonkey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

My 8700c (bought from a Cingular corp store in late Feb) says it's made in Mexico. The keyboard definitely wiggles, but the battery cover is almost welded into place. Maybe some of each model get made in either country, and it's a crapshoot as to which one you wind up with.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:59 AM   #3
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2mpx
Bought a Belkin dongle, but couldn't get 8700 to recognize non-microsoft drivers, but followed someone's instruction on how to modify the bluetooth .inf file, loaded the microsoft stack for the Belkin, and got it to sync contacts/calendar finally.
Do you recall where these instructions are?
Old 06-20-2006, 09:20 AM   #4
blake.blake
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: pearl
Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
Do you recall where these instructions are?
yes me 2! i have a belkin bt i would like to fix...
Old 06-20-2006, 10:36 AM   #5
mymitsu3kgt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9780
PIN: 236676A8
Carrier: TMobile

You need a "certified" bluetooth device. I'm not exactly sure what makes it certified but when I install my bluetooth dongle, a Windows message comes up saying there is no Windows Certificate for my device. The bluetooth dongle works perfectly on it's own but Desktop Manager won't recognize my bluetooth device I believe because there is no Windows Certificate for it. I'm pretty sure there are multiple threads of certified bluetooth devices that will work with Desktop Manager.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:46 AM   #6
vbaskar
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Default which dongle?

do anybody know which is a better dongle in belkin F8T003V or F8T012V? I am confused between these 2...

sorry forgot to mention i run a Win XP - Thinkpad T42 (without bluetooth support)

Last edited by vbaskar; 06-20-2006 at 12:02 PM..
Old 07-10-2006, 03:34 PM   #7
phone_caller
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

What did you do with the 8700g? Are you interested in selling it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2mpx
Switched from g to c, still on Tmo. Differences are:

1. c is made in Mexico while the g is made in Canada.

2. c keyboard has no play or squishing around while the g did. But the battery cover about same looseness.

3. biggest reason for my switch was the c keyboard feels easier to type on as my thumbs can feel the buttons better, and can be more precise which letter I'm pressing.
If you look at the 2 units from the sides, you'll see the c keyboard almost has a slight rise in the center and bows out, while the g has a curve and dips in the center. Don't know if it's designed in or not. Will be listing g on ebay, maybe after I get an unlock code from Tmo as I've been a long term customer.

4. from other posts about unlocking, called the cingular intl help line and requested an unlock code since I have a # on cing for years that my wife uses, but rep wouldn't agree to it saying I bought the 8700 just now (I upgraded online with cing as my other phone for my wife already's out of contract) and had not used it for 90days.
I asked him nicely to put a request in anyway, and he said it'll not get approved, but the next day, voila, the unlock code came and now I'm using it on Tmo, which is what I have all along. Thanks cingular.

5. just as a side note, from other posts about bluetooth sync, my work laptop is an ibm x41 and has no bluetooth. Bought a Belkin dongle, but couldn't get 8700 to recognize non-microsoft drivers, but followed someone's instruction on how to modify the bluetooth .inf file, loaded the microsoft stack for the Belkin, and got it to sync contacts/calendar finally. I'm on BIS for mail.

This is a great forum, have taken advantage of many posts. Thanks all...
Old 07-10-2006, 11:51 PM   #8
CUSTEL
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: 8 Characters
Carrier: AT&T Wireless

now i had the complete opposite feelings...

1. my 8700c had too much play in the keyboard, my 8700g doesnt wiggle at all.

2. The battery door on my 8700c is extremely loose and slides up and down every time i grab it (have had it for less then 30 days) while the battery door on my 8700g doesnt move at all.

so i guess each one has their flaws...
Closed Thread