BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 12:57 PM   #1
ChuckieZ
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7105t
Talking Screen Replacement: Lesson's Learned!

Please Login to Remove!

Ok! I got the hookup for all you damaged screeners out there...

This is 7100 specific, but I'm sure it will apply to most other models as well. This might not be new to some folks, but I'm not all that savy with this sort of thing, and am posting this for folks like me, that might tear some stuff up trying to mess with replacing the screen.

In another thread, someone was asking how to get to all the screws. You have to remove the plastic shield cover over the speaker on the back. To remove the shield, apply pressure to the bottom two retainer clips, as the top two aren't made to release. It pops off from the bottom.

So that's 2 screws under the battery cover, and 2 under the speaker shield. The screws themselves are STAR shaped, so you need a star shaped allen wrench to get them out. We ordered an 8 piece star set, and it was the smallest size (T6?). Turns out they sell one at www.blackberryrepairs.com in the "Parts" section for the phone itself. It was listed there for around $7 bucks.

There are retainer clips on the sides of the screen. You could probably do it without removing the keyboard component, but I took that off as well. 4 more star screws on the back, and it's free.

Now, the biggest thing that I figured out was how to release the ribbon cable without tearing the crap out of the thing. There's a brown piece that you'll see, which appears to be part of a "plug" on the end of the screen's ribbon cable. Actually, it's some sort of retainer piece that FLIPS DOWN allowing the screen's ribbon cable to be easily removed.

When you get your new screen from the same place that I listed above (or other place if you find one), put the ribbon cable in the jack, and just flip up the brown piece, which will click into place.

EASY AS PIE!

Hope this helps...

Chuck
Old 03-15-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Great post Chuck, I am sure it will be handy to some.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 07-10-2006, 06:33 PM   #3
lauren22510

Model: 7280

ChuckieZ I need your help! I have a BB 7280, on which I am attempting to remove the scratched screen. Your directions on how to open the BB helped me a lot, but I'm still having trouble removing the ribbon cable. My main question is -- do I remove the ribbon from the screen end or the computer end? In other words, after the screen is removed, will the ribbon cable be attached to the screen or will it still be attached to the phone?? Please help!! Thanks, Lauren =)
Old 07-12-2006, 12:12 AM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren22510
ChuckieZ I need your help! I have a BB 7280, on which I am attempting to remove the scratched screen. Your directions on how to open the BB helped me a lot, but I'm still having trouble removing the ribbon cable. My main question is -- do I remove the ribbon from the screen end or the computer end? In other words, after the screen is removed, will the ribbon cable be attached to the screen or will it still be attached to the phone?? Please help!! Thanks, Lauren =)
I'm not sure about the 7280 but on the 7100t the ribbon is an integral part of the screen. The circuit board is where the ribbon unplugs from.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:18 AM   #5
adamlau
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Sprint

Post pics please!
Old 07-12-2006, 04:00 PM   #6
Dale Emery
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks for detailed info ChuckieZ.