Old 08-08-2006, 05:11 PM   #1
jayshen
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Default Traveling Overseas with BlackBerry 8700c

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I am currently traveling overseas and want to clarify a few things on billing. Your response would be very helpful and appreciated.

I have a BlackBerry 8700c with a voice plan and unlimited data plan in US. And I am traveling in Taiwan...I got the network on my BB8700c, which is called: ChungHwa, then it displayed "SOS". What happened??? I unlocked the BB8700c using the unlock code and procedure from customer service.

I want to know how much the roaming charge estimate would be for both voice and data plans in another country/place like Taiwan. What is the recommendation? I am thinking about a prepaid SIM card from a local carrier...

Thanks a lot,

Jay
Old 08-08-2006, 06:57 PM   #2
chirayu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I recently travelled to india and I added unlimited international roaming for a month for extra $20 in addition to my current bb unlimited plan.

Voice is very expensive (around 2.99/min) so I got a local number for much cheaper but my experience of using data to surf web and use email was great! Didn't get charged an extra penny for data usage of a lot MB's

Last edited by chirayu; 08-08-2006 at 06:58 PM..
Old 08-08-2006, 08:35 PM   #3
bighunk

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMobile

#2 Chirayu,

Can you list the connection setting you did to access internet, if you used it as a tethered modem? I tried to get the info from Airtel there , but there could not follow what i was lookign fro
Old 08-09-2006, 05:52 AM   #4
VickyPaz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: TMobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirayu
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I recently travelled to india and I added unlimited international roaming for a month for extra $20 in addition to my current bb unlimited plan.

Voice is very expensive (around 2.99/min) so I got a local number for much cheaper but my experience of using data to surf web and use email was great! Didn't get charged an extra penny for data usage of a lot MB's
Hi, you got unlimited web browsing with that international plan for $20? that's with Cingular? I ask because I have Tmobile and they have the same plan but it only includes email (I'm told) and not web browsing. Which stinks kinda.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:28 AM   #5
RoadRider
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Did you get Cingular's in'tl roaming feature turned on before you left? Sounds like the network you are on is not roaming with Cingular. Do you have a strong signal? Unlocking does nothing for you when you are using your own Cingular SIM card. Using a local SIM card will only give you voice, no data.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:18 PM   #6
chirayu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRider
Did you get Cingular's in'tl roaming feature turned on before you left? Sounds like the network you are on is not roaming with Cingular. Do you have a strong signal? Unlocking does nothing for you when you are using your own Cingular SIM card. Using a local SIM card will only give you voice, no data.
Yes I just added the plan and there was EDGE connectivity almost everywhere I went. Speeds were decent too.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:19 PM   #7
chirayu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighunk
#2 Chirayu,

Can you list the connection setting you did to access internet, if you used it as a tethered modem? I tried to get the info from Airtel there , but there could not follow what i was lookign fro
I didn't take my laptop, but I know what you mean by they could not follow. Customers service reps for airtel are so clueless. but call a few different ones and you might just find someone who knows what they are tallking about.
Good luck.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:20 AM   #8
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshen
I want to know how much the roaming charge estimate would be for both voice and data plans in another country/place like Taiwan. What is the recommendation? I am thinking about a prepaid SIM card from a local carrier...
The Cingular site has up-to-date international roaming rates. Be aware that unanswered calls that go back to your voicemail center in the US will be billed at double that rate. They charge you for both the call going overseas and for the call going back to voicemail in the US. You can either disable voicemail entirely by calling Cingular or by leaving the device turned off.
Closed Thread