BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 02:24 AM   #1
42minus71

Model: 8700c
Default Yahoo! Mail (plus)

Please Login to Remove!

I've got this Yahoo! Mail plus account i'm tryin' to get hooked with my 8700 w/o using the web interface to access mail. I'm pretty sure that for POP3, Yahoo forces the use of port "587" and not port 25, which I imagine the BIS is trying to get down with by default. Where can I tell BIS to use 587 for the Yahoo! Mail account? This is the only thing holdin' me back from being 100% solid right now. Suggestions?

/42minus71/
Old 12-31-2005, 03:06 AM   #2
MooseBerry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9930
PIN: Up :)
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Try setting up the Yahoo! mail online. When it doesn't work, it'll open up a sub-menu that has more settings. There you can enter the new port settings. I think if you try it on the handheld and you have two or three unsuccessful attemts, you get that sub-menu as well.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:53 AM   #3
42minus71

I'm half asleep here; You're right, you can force ports if you put in info incorrectly. I was confusing the outgoing with the incoming. I've got the BB setup to poll pop.mail.yahoo.com -- the BIS shows status of green for hat email account, but, I never get the actual emails that go to yahoo (only by logging into yahoo web mail do I still see what I am supposed to see). This isn't a case of the yahoo web client interfering somehow? I mean, the BIS is hitting pop.mail.yahoo.com as well -- could one be snatching messages from under the other? I've got things setup to 'leave mail on server', so in theory, I could hit the server with 10 different clients, and still see the exact same new messages. Whats the step I'm missing here?

/42minus71/
Old 12-31-2005, 04:35 AM   #4
42minus71

There must be something up with the 8700c's from Cingular with regards to Yahoo! mail. I'm getting mail popped from other accounts it seems, but not my yahoo account. I'm confident it's configured correctly, but, it just doesn't seem to work. Not sure what the deal is, but I'd like to be able to get my personal mail from Yahoo! via the BB.

/42minus71/
Old 12-31-2005, 04:53 AM   #5
MooseBerry

I have the Verizon 7130e and I just sent an email from AOL to my Yahoo! address to test it and I got it on my BB. So, if you set everything up correctly, maybe it is a cingular problem. You can call their BB Data Support and see what's up. If you get a good tech, they'll figure it out.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:43 PM   #6
42minus71

Turns out the filters I had setup on my Yahoo! mail account causes an issue since BIS doesn't check all folders on the pop mail server, only 'Inbox'. Removing the filters resolved the issue. Thanks for all the help.

/42minus71/
Old 07-14-2006, 01:46 AM   #7
Vegasbaby

hi, i am newbie.just got my 8700 yesterday(cingular.) and am also not having any luck setting up my yahoo mail ( i was able to set up another email acount w/ no problem) i don't have any filters set up. i have yahoo plus. i've tried to set it from my desktop and from the 8700 device. it also doesn't give me any ability to enter anything pop info etc. what am i doing wrong? thanks for any help or if anyone can even tell me a help # that i can contact for this type of support. thanks. this forum has already been helpful for me , just reading around and trying to get up to speed on this device.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:51 AM   #8
MooseBerry

When I switched to the new BIS on cingular, my yahoo mail didn't work either. I called 800-304-3044 (data support) and after several attempts to integrate the yahoo account, the tech forced it through manually and it's worked fine since then.
Good luck!
Old 07-17-2006, 12:14 PM   #9
SENATOR

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasbaby
hi, i am newbie.just got my 8700 yesterday(cingular.) and am also not having any luck setting up my yahoo mail ( i was able to set up another email acount w/ no problem) i don't have any filters set up. i have yahoo plus. i've tried to set it from my desktop and from the 8700 device. it also doesn't give me any ability to enter anything pop info etc. what am i doing wrong? thanks for any help or if anyone can even tell me a help # that i can contact for this type of support. thanks. this forum has already been helpful for me , just reading around and trying to get up to speed on this device.
I am having this same problem. Data support told me they have no control over Yahoo and refused to help me.

Bottom line: I am able to add gmail, cox and hotmail - but not my yahoo plus account. Trying to input my yahoo email address and pw inot the BIS results in the following error: "An error occured during your email validation. If error persists, please contact your email provider" - I am not given any other options to enter the pop address like I was with gmail.

EDIT: It took 3 calls, but finally someone at Cingular was able to help!

Last edited by SENATOR; 07-17-2006 at 12:42 PM..
Old 07-17-2006, 12:42 PM   #10
SENATOR

Carrier: Cingular

NEW PROBLEM: My Yahoo emails are showing up in both my work (BES-based) email folder and the new Yahoo folder on my device. How can I keep them separate?
Old 08-14-2006, 08:38 AM   #11
dlbrock
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9300
Carrier: AT&T

I would like to provide a little more information to fill in the blanks.

In BIS email account setup enter your email address as 'user@yahoo1.com'

the server then gives you the option to manually enter the information.

Update your email address.
For the mail server enter: pop.mail.yahoo.com

It works after that.
Closed Thread