Old 08-23-2006, 12:55 PM   #21
datafirm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: New ATT because of iPhone

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joginder
Does anyone know what is the processor and speed on E61 phone. is it faster than BB8700x series
E61 is @ ~116 vs 8700 @ ~312
Old 08-23-2006, 03:55 PM   #22
joginder
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Passp
Carrier: ATT

hmmm,,if there is such a big diff in processor speed, then we really need to find out if BB has too much power or E61 has the just right amount of power..
Just hard to say
Old 08-24-2006, 06:14 AM   #23
deezmfnutz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: STORM
Carrier: vzw

Quote:
Originally Posted by joginder
hmmm,,if there is such a big diff in processor speed, then we really need to find out if BB has too much power or E61 has the just right amount of power..
Just hard to say
The E61 is one of two things:

1 - Underpowered from a hardware point of view

OR

2 - Overly complex inefficient OS that is slow

Either way the end result is the same VERY sluggish UI experience. Everything is slow, slower than the 7100t. The 8700 is pretty fast; however, it is NOT over powered is there such a thing??
Old 08-24-2006, 07:10 AM   #24
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

We only have 1 E61. It is sitting on a shelf cause the user went back to the BB8700. The Nokia is too slow and too complicated to use efficiently.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:13 AM   #25
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

My E61 should be here tomorrow.
Symbian has been a disappointment to me (as has BlackBerry Connect). This is part of a Windows "Smart"phone pilot...
Old 08-24-2006, 12:18 PM   #26
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I think a lot of potential users who go shopping tend to look at the device specs and make decisions based solely on those numbers or a list of features.

However, something that a majority of people seem to overlook is that the Blackberry is like an iceberg. The handheld itself is just the obvious "tip" that sticks out over surface of the water. The true strength of the Blackberry is the underlying infrastructure (BIS/BES/MDS/etc) that you don't see that really does the majority of the work. Simply duplicating the visible parts of the Blackberry and adding other features isn't going to create a true Blackberry killer by a long shot.

Anyway, that's all just my opinion FWIW. I'm not saying that the Blackberry will be the best option for everyone out there nor that it will be the best option forever. To confuse matters even further, the marketplace doesn't always favor technically superior products (*cough* Betamax).

Last edited by takeshi; 08-24-2006 at 12:21 PM..
Old 08-24-2006, 02:50 PM   #27
Razor1973
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: None
Carrier: AT&T

Well, my new E61 is at home waiting for me (FedEx just delivered it), so I will be able to see by myself. I will be biased, though, as I like Symbian. Then again, I loved every BlackBerry I've played with. It's just that I am an application freak and the lack of availability would kill it for me with a BB.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:51 PM   #28
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

I have the opposite bias; I hafve always been disappointed with Symbain, since the first Nokia 6600 that I couldn't give away.

We'll see how long the Nokia lasts.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:02 PM   #29
Razor1973

If the BlackBerry had better (and cheaper) application support, I seriously would have considered it more.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:13 PM   #30
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

If my grandmother had b***s she'd be my grandfather

If, if, if.

BB Connect continues to disappoint me.

But I will try the E61. Just like I tried the Q, MDA and Nokia 9300 before it...
Old 08-24-2006, 03:20 PM   #31
Razor1973

If BB Connects disappoints you that much, do give the E61 a try. You also can use GoodLink, Visto and Seven as alternatives.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:44 PM   #32
Good_Guy

Carrier: Verizon/Sprint

I actually tried the E62 the other day (the North American verision of the E61) and I have to say I was blown away. The keyboard, the screen, the feel of the device, the phone quality. It was very, very impressive. The OS was very responsive and had some nice features. Bear in mind, this was my first intro to Symbian and I only played with it for about 20 minutes, so I can't speak to battery life, etc., so that remains to be seen.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:58 PM   #33
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor1973
If BB Connects disappoints you that much, do give the E61 a try. You also can use GoodLink, Visto and Seven as alternatives.
We're in a production environment with 1500 BBs globally. We support BES and that's it. I don't have time, funding or personnel to work with alternatives. We are quite happy with BES.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:17 PM   #34
Razor1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Guy
I actually tried the E62 the other day (the North American verision of the E61) and I have to say I was blown away. The keyboard, the screen, the feel of the device, the phone quality. It was very, very impressive. The OS was very responsive and had some nice features. Bear in mind, this was my first intro to Symbian and I only played with it for about 20 minutes, so I can't speak to battery life, etc., so that remains to be seen.
You mean the Cingular version of the E61, which, as usual, means it's crippled. No UMTS 2100 (not like you can use it in the US), no WiFi, different key layout, etc.

Symbian is indeed an acquired taste. You cannot expect to like it in the first 20 minutes, but, if you did, that's a big step.

Battery life on the E61 (420 min talk) is rated at almost double the time of the 8700 (240 min talk)! RF and audio quality is top notch. After all, it's a Nokia.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:06 AM   #35
Good_Guy

Carrier: Verizon/Sprint

Quote:
You mean the Cingular version of the E61, which, as usual, means it's crippled. No UMTS 2100 (not like you can use it in the US), no WiFi, different key layout, etc.

Symbian is indeed an acquired taste. You cannot expect to like it in the first 20 minutes, but, if you did, that's a big step.

Battery life on the E61 (420 min talk) is rated at almost double the time of the 8700 (240 min talk)! RF and audio quality is top notch. After all, it's a Nokia.
I never said I didn't like the OS, just different from any I have worked with. I think, however, after my brief intro to the phone, that I would like it, though.

Talk time battery life is not my major comparison factor on smartphones. The fact that data will typically get used more than voice and also more in tha background. I will be interested to see how email solutions, web browsing, etc., affect the battery life.

Crippled wifi and lack of UMTS aside, I noticed very little difference in the keyboards between the E61 and E62, though the last time I touched an E61 was several months ago. Main keyboard layout differences are the locations of symbols.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:46 AM   #36
Razor1973

Indeed. The differences are in the symbols.

I got my E61 yesterday and I'm in love. I really like hot the cold metal feels to the touch.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:05 PM   #37
fxstsb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Guy
Check out the features before you buy. I have one.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:07 PM   #38
fxstsb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820

Quote:
Indeed. The differences are in the symbols.

I got my E61 yesterday and I'm in love. I really like hot the cold metal feels to the touch.
Try loading, saving, and reading the E61 manual on it. Cut it in half and do the same.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:41 PM   #39
dhendriksen

Model: 9530

Does anyone else like this E61/E62? I use an 8700 with BIS, and I love it. I am used to getting a phone every few months, but am in love with PUSH mail. I have not found another source for RELIABLE push mail that is not expensive. If this blackberry connect works good, and the phone is nice I may consider. I have not been able to find anything to knock the 8700 of my belt, and believe me I have been looking. I am itching for a new phone, but cant find one that seems to be an "upgrade".
Old 10-18-2006, 09:05 PM   #40
BES admin

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T

The Symbian OS is S-L-O-W as hell!

The E6x series looks nice, but NOTHING is going to compare to the BB.

We had a manager INSIST on getting one of these Nokia devices. We pleaded and begged for him not to. So he did anyway.

three months go by and yesterday they called me to activate his new 8700.

The proof is in the user. I love Nokia and think they make a rock solid device, but as an email/pda/phone the guts (OS) suck.