Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 07:55 PM   #1
shaun76
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile
Default Bluetooth and Desktop Manager

Please Login to Remove!

Anybody been able to use desktop manager with bluetooth? I see the bluetooth config in the connections option, but they are grayed out.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:36 PM   #2
kneyens
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

Most likely b/c you aren't using the built in microsoft bluetooth drivers.

If your BT adapter came with it's own software more likely than not it uses the WIDCOMM driver.

You have to uninstall the WIDCOMM driver in the control panel and let windows discover and install the device. I'm not sure if you have to also uninstall / reinstall the desktop software but if the BT driver uninstall / reinstall does't work that's your next move.

Also note that if you are on a BES they may have disabled the bluetooth communicate to the desktop software. B/C of security reasons it's disabled in the IT policy profile by default.

Check your bluetooth services on the phone and make sure you have
* Disable Desktop Connectivity
* Disable Wireless Bypass

If you don't all the work above is a waste of time.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:41 PM   #3
shaun76
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneyens
Most likely b/c you aren't using the built in microsoft bluetooth drivers.

If your BT adapter came with it's own software more likely than not it uses the WIDCOMM driver.

You have to uninstall the WIDCOMM driver in the control panel and let windows discover and install the device. I'm not sure if you have to also uninstall / reinstall the desktop software but if the BT driver uninstall / reinstall does't work that's your next move.

Also note that if you are on a BES they may have disabled the bluetooth communicate to the desktop software. B/C of security reasons it's disabled in the IT policy profile by default.

Check your bluetooth services on the phone and make sure you have
* Disable Desktop Connectivity
* Disable Wireless Bypass

If you don't all the work above is a waste of time.
I am using the wondows drivers. I did notice that my bt services say desktop conn and wireless bypass, but I don't see a way to change this. Any suggestions? I have paired the device with the laptop fine.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:55 PM   #4
kneyens

Carrier: AT&T

No suggestions from me sorry. When I unstalled the WINDCOMM driver and used the windows solution it worked like a champ, hope somebody with more bad luck/ then good luck responds.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:56 PM   #5
shaun76
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneyens
hope somebody with more bad luck/ then good luck responds.

Nicely put! lol
Old 09-18-2006, 12:33 PM   #6
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun76
I am using the wondows drivers. I did notice that my bt services say desktop conn and wireless bypass, but I don't see a way to change this. Any suggestions? I have paired the device with the laptop fine.
This is definitely good news for you. On the PC, go to the control panel > Bluetooth Options. Set the BB in discoverable mode and use the PC to find it.

Once paired and connected from the pc to the BB, open the BB Device manager and do the configure BT. you'll have to add the BB here too.

Should be good to go. There's a KB on it on BB's web site, but I'm too lazy to pull it up right now. If you don't understand some of what I said here, go to blackberry.com and search their public knowledge base for setting it up.

Zro
Old 09-21-2006, 10:41 AM   #7
douirc

Model: 8700G
Carrier: Cingular (the new ATT)

so i followed the instructions to remove the WIDCOMM drivers from Add/Remove programs in the control panel, but it removed the BT device completely. I rebooted and windows detected a USB device, so instead of my typical routine of installing WIDCOMM I simply pointed the windows installer to the device drivers and BAM, it's installed. problem is, there's no BT icon in the control panel. windows device manager says the device is installed and working properly, but I have no way to communicate with it.

kneyens - you mentioned the second step may be installing the desktop software. how? is that part of the WIDCOMM installation or is it in Windows somewhere? I think I'm close...but I don't have any control of the BT device that's now installed using default Windows.
Closed Thread