BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 05:36 PM   #1
KingMooCow

Model: 8100
Default Bluetooth Static with Motorola H700 Headset

Please Login to Remove!

I haven't seen anyone else post this problem, so I'm wondering if my 8100 is defective...

When using my 8100 and a Motorola H700 headset, I get crystal clear performance/reception as long as the phone is line of sight with the headset (ie, on the desk or in my hand), but when the 8100 is in my pocket the reception gets moderately staticy; enoughso that it's extremely annoying.

I never had this problem with my T-mobile MDA, so I'm wondering if the BT radio in the 8100 is defective...

Anyone have similar problems, or had better results?
Old 09-24-2006, 06:03 PM   #2
zenxacred
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

same same. i have this prob with the h500 model of the headset.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:54 AM   #3
KingMooCow

That may be a dealbreaker for me. My MDA statics /occationally/ in my pocket, but I usually use it in its holster. Maybe if the 8100 came with a holster I'd get better performance from BT.

I may try to snag one if my local store has the SDA case today.

Otherwise, I'll just have to get ridda the pearl.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:08 AM   #4
motradd
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Tmobile
Default Dead On...................

Not to sound so negative, but everyone I talk to is getting a cracking sound when using a bluetooth earpiece. Does not matter what brand you are using! Hopefully, a software fix will correct this. T-Mobile blackberry support states that Blutooth 2.0 on the 8100 does not communicate as well with a bluetooth 1.2 or 1.1 revision. Last time I checked, 2.0 is backwards compatible. Another hickup that needs to be corrected ASAP!
Old 09-25-2006, 07:47 AM   #5
luckiweeman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

I'm getting the same cracking sound on the Moto H3 headphone. Anyone know a timeframe for the software update?
Old 09-25-2006, 08:44 AM   #6
KingMooCow

Well, I'm glad to know it's not just me, though I was really hoping to hear:
"Oh, mine was doing that too, so I exchanged it and the new one is fine"

Blast.

I'll see if I can get my company's RIM rep contact info and see what he says.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:58 AM   #7
archiberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Same here with Jabra 250

I thought my earpiece had suddenly stopped working well.... it has been more than a year...

That needs a very quick fix!!
Old 09-25-2006, 12:00 PM   #8
GrantMethePower
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TMOBILE

I've noticed this too and it sucks big time. I'm using a Logitech headset.

RIM please fix!!
Old 09-25-2006, 04:16 PM   #9
AlwaysOn607
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl

I am using a Plantronics 510 and have not noticed this problem.....when I can stay connected. That is my bluetooth issue; it will not stay connected unless I make a (lengthy) phone call immediately after pairing.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:44 PM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMooCow
I haven't seen anyone else post this problem, so I'm wondering if my 8100 is defective...

When using my 8100 and a Motorola H700 headset, I get crystal clear performance/reception as long as the phone is line of sight with the headset (ie, on the desk or in my hand), but when the 8100 is in my pocket the reception gets moderately staticy; enoughso that it's extremely annoying.

I never had this problem with my T-mobile MDA, so I'm wondering if the BT radio in the 8100 is defective...

Anyone have similar problems, or had better results?
I actually had this same problem with my Motorola H700 and my 7100t. If I put the headset on my left ear and the BB in the holster on my right hip I had noticeable static-almost unuseable at times. But if I pulled it out and had it line of sight it worked ok. I tried my old Motorola HS820 and the static disappeared. I just tried my HS820 with my 8100 and no static either....I can't try my H700 with my 8100 because...well...it got laundered (that's why I went back to the HS820). I don't know what to make of it but almost suggestS something in the headsets but I would think that newer is better...
Old 09-25-2006, 08:37 PM   #11
pauly
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve

slight static from my Jabra BT250. Not too bad at all and no mention of it on the other end of the phone.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:21 AM   #12
sd5187
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: Rogers

I use the H700 with my 8700R and I constantly have issues with range and static. If my Berry is on the left side of me and the headset is on my right ear I get static. Also, I can only go about 10 ft from the device before I get static.

Didn't have the same issue with my Moto H3. That being said I did have major issues with echo on that headset and had to replace it with the H700.

Hmmm - maybe this is a Moto issue. Time to switch to another manufacturer?
Old 09-26-2006, 09:34 AM   #13
ple

i may be way off base here, but....

one of you mentioned that the headset sounded fine until you put it in your pocket. this may be silly, but i wonder if you have the trackball sound ON. If so, when it rolls, it makes a clicking sound that might be mistaken for static. And believe me, when it's in your pocket, that ball is going to roll (just look at the thread on why the Pearl won't ring when it's in your pocket.

i experienced this myself while listening to an mp3 over a wired headset. i had to laugh, because there are some who question whether the trackball really rolls all that much when it's in your pocket. Believe me, it does. Anyway, I turned the trackball sound OFF and the "static" went away.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:32 AM   #14
KingMooCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ple
i may be way off base here, but....

one of you mentioned that the headset sounded fine until you put it in your pocket. this may be silly, but i wonder if you have the trackball sound ON. If so, when it rolls, it makes a clicking sound that might be mistaken for static. And believe me, when it's in your pocket, that ball is going to roll (just look at the thread on why the Pearl won't ring when it's in your pocket.

i experienced this myself while listening to an mp3 over a wired headset. i had to laugh, because there are some who question whether the trackball really rolls all that much when it's in your pocket. Believe me, it does. Anyway, I turned the trackball sound OFF and the "static" went away.

First thing I did when I got my 8100 is turn off that damn clicky noise -- grated on my nerves.
While a good theory, I don't believe that's the issue since it's turned off.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:35 AM   #15
KingMooCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd5187
I use the H700 with my 8700R and I constantly have issues with range and static. If my Berry is on the left side of me and the headset is on my right ear I get static. Also, I can only go about 10 ft from the device before I get static.

Didn't have the same issue with my Moto H3. That being said I did have major issues with echo on that headset and had to replace it with the H700.

Hmmm - maybe this is a Moto issue. Time to switch to another manufacturer?
Bah, I don't really want to have to change.
Seems like from this thread anyway people have had this issue with Jabra, Logitech and Moto; course -- moto's come up a lot more often...

I'll just change back to my MDA -- it's a better phone for features and software IMO anyway. Glad the 8100 was given to me to evaluate for the company use.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:53 PM   #16
CaptainIndignant

As I guess everyone else says - it's not a pocket problem and not a Motorola problem.

With two different Plantronics headsets, I find that the sound is only clear if the top of the BB is pointed at my ear with nothing in between. If I even hold the phone in the hand opposite the ear I'm wearing the earpiece in, I get the static. Or if I take the phone and point the top of it away from my ear but with nothing in between the phone and the earpiece.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:16 PM   #17
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810

I use an H700 with my 8100 and have had no reception/static problems at all. I have used it with the BB in hand and in my pocket.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:57 PM   #18
randysmooth

Model: 8700g

I too use a H700 with my 8100 and have not noticed any problems, in hand or in pocket.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:59 PM   #19
KingMooCow

Well crap.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:17 AM   #20
Bendle
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Tmobile
Default BlueTooth headset keeps losing connection and re-establishing in a loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysOn607
I am using a Plantronics 510 and have not noticed this problem.....when I can stay connected. That is my bluetooth issue; it will not stay connected unless I make a (lengthy) phone call immediately after pairing.
EXACTLY! Glad to find someone same experience.
I have the same headset and I constantly watch my 8100 say CONNECTION WITH PLT510 LOST then a few seconds later CONNECTION ESTABLISHED. Then it repeats the cycle in a loop. I have not had it terminate a call, but when not using it it just sits there and cycles.

I havent been using the headset since this is so annoying. I just turned the headset off.

Clearly there is something wrong with the pairing of these two devices. It worked flawlessly with my 7100t.
Closed Thread