BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 11:27 AM   #1
Brian Kendig

Model: 7130c
Default I want Blackberry address book to only have what's in Outlook

Please Login to Remove!

I have a Blackberry 7130c which I'm synching up to my Outlook 2003 address book. The Blackberry has several addresses in it that aren't in Outlook, but I don't want this to be the case - I want the Blackberry to be an exact copy of what's in Outlook, and any contacts on the Blackberry that aren't in Outlook should be deleted.

I'm using the Blackberry Desktop Manager 4.1.1.9 to do the sync.

How do I get the Blackberry's address book to show only what's in Outlook, and remove all the other contacts?
Old 10-02-2006, 11:34 AM   #2
CodyMac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: AT&T

Connect your BB.
Open Desktop Manager.
Double-click Synchronize.
Click the Configure Synch button on the Configuration tab.
Highlight Address Book and click Configure.
Click Advanced Settings.
Choose "Microsoft Outlook Wins" on the Conflict Resolution tab.
Click OK.

I have not tested this, but makes sense that it would work.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:36 AM   #3
sbaska
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular

i'd say back-up anything that you need to keep, wipe the handheld, and then reactivate. when it resyncs with your outlook, it should transfer all your contacts that are in your address book in outlook.

somebody please correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:07 PM   #4
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8300r
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

If there are contacts in your Outlook which are not in your blackberry (and/or vice-versa) then you are not syncing properly to begin with.

Remove the contacts that you don't want from outlook (or blackberry) and then check your syncing settings to ensure that you are properly syncing.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:34 PM   #5
Brian Kendig

Model: 7130c

I've got it set to "Microsoft Outlook Wins", but that's only updating the contacts that are already in Outlook - the ones that aren't in Outlook, it's leaving on the Blackberry. I want to have all of these automatically deleted.

Can I wipe the Blackberry's address book without touching any other data on the device - and if so, how? And how do I back up all of the Blackberry's data first so I can revert if I mess something up?

Right now when I sync it appears to be doing a "merge" with the Blackberry's address book. Is there any setting to tell the Blackberry to be an exact mirror of what's in Outlook?
Old 10-03-2006, 12:40 AM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

You can delete entries manually on the handheld. You can also used the advanced feature of the backup utility in Desktop Manager to clear the address book. There are probably a couple more ways as well...
Old 10-03-2006, 01:56 AM   #7
Ideasmiths

Model: 7100v
Carrier: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Kendig
I've got it set to "Microsoft Outlook Wins", but that's only updating the contacts that are already in Outlook - the ones that aren't in Outlook, it's leaving on the Blackberry. I want to have all of these automatically deleted.

Can I wipe the Blackberry's address book without touching any other data on the device - and if so, how? And how do I back up all of the Blackberry's data first so I can revert if I mess something up?

Right now when I sync it appears to be doing a "merge" with the Blackberry's address book. Is there any setting to tell the Blackberry to be an exact mirror of what's in Outlook?
There are 2 ways

1) Go to Desktop Manager, click on Backup/Restore->Advanced, see the device database on the right panel? Highlight the database that you want to clear from your handheld? For example address book, select it then click clear.

NOTE: Suggest you BACKUP first by running the Backup/Restore

2) The other way is to go to your outlook, create a subfolder under your main folder, example Backup. Drag ALL your contacts from your main folder to this sub-folder.

Then set your blackberry to synchronize both (ie NOT outlook wins). Your data from blackberry should show up in the outlook main folder right? After that DELETE all the contacts in the main folder, do a sync again. That will wipe out both the outlook main folder and blackberry.

Last of all, drag all the contacts from the sub-folder back into the main folder and sync with your blackberry. Now everything is equal.

AGAIN. I suggest backup your blackberry data and your outlook data first

Hope that helps
Old 10-03-2006, 05:09 AM   #8
howitzer

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmobile

I think the problem you are having is the address book is pulling from your SIM card. If the above suggestions do not work delete the files on the SIM.
Closed Thread