BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 09:14 AM   #1
csorensen

Model: 8100c
Carrier: AT&T
Default UK BB connected to USA BES problems

Please Login to Remove!

Is there a way to have someone based in the UK, with an O2 or Vodafone BB connected to my USA BES? I was told by O2 that we needed a separate BES in the UK or have them host it. If any one has more knowledge about this, I would love to be enlightened why I need another BES to have an office with UK BlackBerry devices.

Thanks.

PS. I know it does work because I was able to activate it. The BlackBerry worked for about a day and a half before O2 disabled the data plan on the device.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:44 AM   #2
Krissy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100!
Carrier: Rogers

I believe your friends at O2 may be trying to squeeze another BES out of you Someone in the UK can be connected to a BES in the US sans probleme. Think of it this way, what would happen if someone travelled from the US to the UK, they would still get their mail right? I was in Germany last week and didn't have any issues. This is the whole point of the solution. Always on, always connected.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:05 AM   #3
csorensen

I have users that are using Cingular BBs around the world. I wanted to get local numbers to reduce the costs of international roaming and having them carry two devices.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:12 AM   #4
acnst
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: not configured
Carrier: T-Mobile

Are you using Exchange or Notes? Where is your mailbox located? If it is also it shouldn't be an issue, else the overall performance of the BES could be affected if the BES is to far away from the Exchange or Notes server, e.g. ping latency time of 40ms or 50ms and more.

for Microsoft Exchange

Old 10-12-2006, 10:35 AM   #5
BlackBerry Master
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700r

Quote:
Originally Posted by acnst
Are you using Exchange or Notes? Where is your mailbox located? If it is also it shouldn't be an issue, else the overall performance of the BES could be affected if the BES is to far away from the Exchange or Notes server, e.g. ping latency time of 40ms or 50ms and more.
Could be using GroupWise too, why do people always forget about GroupWise? Sheesh...

The physical location of the user's mail server in relation to the BES location will dicate latency. Apart from that, there should be no reason why you cant. As long as that user is part of your mail network.

It stopped working because O2 disabled the provisioning of data traffic for NA (North America). By default, they provision for the UK only, like we do for NA here. I do not believe there is a cost associated with this additional provisioning but O2 may have other ideas. Either way, they just need to set this switch and the user will be in business.

Last edited by BlackBerry Master; 10-12-2006 at 10:38 AM..
Old 10-12-2006, 11:13 AM   #6
csorensen

I tried getting them to enable the NA provisioning. That is when they told me to get a BES in the UK. I want to know how I can have my users use any carrier, anywhere and connect to my BES. I don't want to have another BES for a dozen users. I use Exchange and BES 4.1.2. I have a sexy WAN that allows me to connect to a dozen or so servers with one BES. They are all in North America, so the latency is less than 100ms even in our most remote areas. I would guess that I'm not the only one to have international users, or does everyone just use their local carriers for their international needs. If this is a bigger issue, I'll be more understanding, but how on earth do I justify getting another BES and Exchange setup for each country we go to?
Old 10-12-2006, 04:07 PM   #7
c13

Model: 8100

this is definatley possible,

all you need is an corporate version of BB in the UK, if you do then it will work. if you walk in to a shop and buy a BB then it wont work. trust me!

this is probabily the same for all the networks, there is a slight difference which causes a problem.

if you have a further question let me know, definately know this will work
Old 10-12-2006, 05:04 PM   #8
csorensen

That is what I tried to do. The O2 rep I called informed me that I can't just order one corporate line. He told me that the minimum is 12 and that it is an additional 2000 pounds per month because of the BlackBerry service. Then, he told me that I needed to get a UK BES. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:04 PM   #9
|||||||
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7100

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBerry Master
Could be using GroupWise too, why do people always forget about GroupWise? Sheesh...
Lies GroupWise does not exist.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:35 AM   #10
acnst
BBF Moderator

PIN: not configured
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBerry Master
I did not forget Groupwise BES. I just did not mention it, because it is not used that often.

for Microsoft Exchange

Old 10-13-2006, 02:21 AM   #11
c13

Model: 8100

do you have a corporate accout with O2?

if you don't Let me have you email and I'll pass to the relivant department within O2 who can help with this issue if you do then you should just be able to contact the normal line. from what you have wrote above its seems you don't have a corporate account.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:36 AM   #12
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by csorensen
That is what I tried to do. The O2 rep I called informed me that I can't just order one corporate line. He told me that the minimum is 12 and that it is an additional 2000 pounds per month because of the BlackBerry service. Then, he told me that I needed to get a UK BES. Any help would be appreciated.
Hi

It sounds like you are being fed a line by O2. The design of BB from the ground up is to support people on say an N. American BES but with say a UK sim card and vice versa. We have multiple customers who have UK based BES's and exchange/notes servers but the actual end-user is permanently based overseas and uses a local Sim card in that country. This includes users in Italy, Russia, Germany and other countries.

I work for a O2 and Vodafone service provider (reseller) and would be happy to provide you with a corporate account for one BB user and or device - with a view that you would take a few more over time.

You don't need £2k per month, but you do need to be subscribed to the BES plan. most of the retail outlets and call centres can't cope with connecting customers to the BES, all they understand is BIS and that won't enable your device to work on a BES.

Drop me a mail via my profile and we can follow up offline.

cheers
bb

Last edited by bertiebassett; 10-13-2006 at 04:39 AM..
Old 10-13-2006, 06:52 AM   #13
luke_slatford

Model: 8707
Carrier: O2

Quote:
Is there a way to have someone based in the UK, with an O2 or Vodafone BB connected to my USA BES? I was told by O2 that we needed a separate BES in the UK or have them host it. If any one has more knowledge about this, I would love to be enlightened why I need another BES to have an office with UK BlackBerry devices.

Thanks.

PS. I know it does work because I was able to activate it. The BlackBerry worked for about a day and a half before O2 disabled the data plan on the device.

I think O2 are trying it on. We have an exchange server based here in the UK and have 20+ devices connected to a BES server in the US. We experience neglible latency and have had no problems when our users roam. (we are using 8707 and have had no problems in Japan either. We are also using O2 as our provider so i guess it may be something to do with your price plan.

Thx
Old 10-13-2006, 07:08 AM   #14
Stern
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Vodafone UK

just get a normal BB plan with anyone and it will work on any bes in the world. that's it
Old 10-13-2006, 07:53 AM   #15
csorensen

Thanks for helping me know that I wasn't crazy. I've got enough direction now that I can take it from here. Thanks.

and I can also see why there are not that many GroupWise BES out there, having to setup and use one until we migrated them all to Exchange. OH Boy!
Old 10-13-2006, 09:51 AM   #16
Krissy

Model: 8100!

Quote:
and I can also see why there are not that many GroupWise BES out there, having to setup and use one until we migrated them all to Exchange. OH Boy!
Really? In all honesty I find the GW implementation the easiest to install and maintain. Save a few issues at the beginning when it was a really new product I find it less fussy than Exchange & Domino from an admin and end user perspective.

Anyway, that is neither here nor there ...
Old 10-13-2006, 05:57 PM   #17
|||||||
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissy
Really? In all honesty I find the GW implementation the easiest to install and maintain. Save a few issues at the beginning when it was a really new product I find it less fussy than Exchange & Domino from an admin and end user perspective.

Anyway, that is neither here nor there ...
I think he means that you can get a working Exchange system up by clicking next a bunch of times where GroupWise requires more RTFM and understanding.

Disclaimer: I've set up an Exchange server but I still have trouble figuring out GroupWise.
Closed Thread