BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 10:34 PM   #1
Javier Fernandez

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default PocketMac prevents IMac from Shutting Down.

Please Login to Remove!

For some reason the process called SyncManager started by PocketMac prevents my IMac from shutting down properly. The process gets started when the PocketMac syncronizes with my Pearl but never shuts down. I am using the latest version of MacOS X 10.4.8 on an IMac 20in G5 with a Blackberry Pearl 8100. The only way to prevent this is by killing the process using the Activity Monitor. If you keep hard shutting the computer this will introduce errors in the hard drive. Then you will need to run the disk utility. If you find the cause of this problem and/or a better solution please let me know.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:11 PM   #2
mr_kitty
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-mobile

are you sure it is SyncManager? I bet if you check activity manager again you'll find pcscd running, owned by root, taking all your free processor bandwidth and unable to be force quit'd.

pcscd is the smart card daemon of the OS. It's job is to basically detect smart card readers and decide which drivers should be used to talk to them, then go away. afaict, it detects the internal memory of the 8100 as a unknown usb device, decides it's a smart card reader and spirals out of control when it can't find the appropriate smart card drivers for it.

initially, i only saw it do that when i clicked the "Install to Device" option under utilities, but in my last round pcscd decided it really really really liked my phone no matter what.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:08 PM   #3
Javier Fernandez

Default PocketMac prevents IMac from Shutting Down.

I tried looking for the pcscd process (in all processes) after the syncronization is complete but is not present. The only process added is the SyncServer which is an user process. If I leave it open then I can not shut down properly. I contacted Blackberry directly but no help yet. Other than this the phone has been working just fine. It causes a lot of envy on Treo users just because of its size.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:15 PM   #4
Javier Fernandez

Default The problem is somehow related to the security in the BB.

By disabling the password in the BB the system no longer crashes at shut down. So you either have to disable the password before the sync or not use it at all. I opted for the last. I still have to connect and disconnect a few times before the software finds the device (some other topics include this problem) but at least is no longer corrupting my HD.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:45 PM   #5
peestandingup
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320

Hmm, have you tried to repair your permissions via the Disk Utility?
Old 11-02-2006, 11:35 AM   #6
MACE44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier Fernandez
By disabling the password in the BB the system no longer crashes at shut down. So you either have to disable the password before the sync or not use it at all. I opted for the last. I still have to connect and disconnect a few times before the software finds the device (some other topics include this problem) but at least is no longer corrupting my HD.
I just got my 8100 and having the same problem using PocketMac and the pcscd [root] maxing the CPU.

What password on the BB are you refering to?
Old 11-02-2006, 04:46 PM   #7
FroogleThis
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint PCS

MACE44, I believe he is talking about the standard locking password.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:44 PM   #8
Activator

Carrier: Cingular

I think I found how to prevent pcsd from taking over your Mac.

Up 'til now, I was ONLY mounting my 8100 Pearl and syncing or moving files to/from the SD card if I was going to be able to restart after the sync, since my Mac would be next to useless because of the pcsd process taking over.

Today I decided to try un-mounting the SD card before unplugging the Pearl (previously, I had simply unplugged the phone from USB when it rang or I needed to leave the room). This seems to have left my Mac pcsd free and I haven't had to restart!

Hopefully this is a fix!
Old 11-03-2006, 07:21 PM   #9
peestandingup

Model: 8320

It should be a given to ALWAYS unmount any type of disk after you are done using it. Not doing so can really mess stuff up.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:50 PM   #10
Activator

Carrier: Cingular

Oh, I do, I do, but with a phone, it's like, just unplug it and go... I usually don't think about it. I have a SLVR which mounts it's card on the Mac and in iTunes, and you can just unplug and go with no trouble.

Trust me, Firewire drives ALWAYS get dismounted before unplugging.

Anyway, I've done it a few times now, and dragging the SD card/virtual disk icon to the trash before unplugging seems to prevent the dreaded pcsd hang.
Closed Thread