Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 11:59 AM   #1
Remax Realtor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmo
Default Problem with pearl

Please Login to Remove!

I have a small problem I cant seem to figure out. The red "end" button on the right used to end the program I was in to take me back to the main menu. Lets say im on the internet and I want to leave to go to the main menu, I used to just push the red button and it would do that. Now it doesnt do anything. the only thing i can do with it is turn off the phone if its held down.

Second problem: When I used to push the green button on the left it would go to the phone. Now it doesnt do anything either. Did i accidentally mess up a setting? I cant seem to find it in my phone.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:20 PM   #2
blackninja
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700G
Carrier: Tmo

it's funny that you mention this problem as I just had the same problem yesterday. it turned out that I had installed a 3rd party application that was poorly coded and it conflicted with the phone's settings. In my case it was 'drug wars', a text based, turn based game.

think back to when your phone was last working and uninstall all 3rd party software you installed since then. after you uninstall the conflicting software and give the phone a soft (or hard) reset, it should start working.

also in the future, I'd say at least once a week, back up your phone using the BB desktop software.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:27 PM   #3
Remax Realtor
Thumbs Must Hurt

I havent installed any programs on my phone. Does the hard reset wipe the phone? How do you do one?
Old 11-10-2006, 12:31 PM   #4
ejmccartin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

hard reset is a battery pull as far as I know. cures many ills. but doesn't wipe the phone.
also, the red end key may take you back to the home screen but doesn't turn off the app you were running necessarily. may slow your pearl down.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:36 PM   #5
blackninja
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700G
Carrier: Tmo

no, hard reset just wipes the rom. you perform a hard reset by taking out battery while phone is on, leaving out for 10seconds or so and then putting battery back in. try this first.

--
so you installed no 3rd party themes, games, etc.? hmm.. I guess if you don't have a backup of your phone's profile saved, just to wipe the phone totally, that way you will see if it is a software or hardware problem. (if the hard reset doesn't work)

steps:
1) go to options
2) security options
3) general settings
4) click the options key (the one with the 7 specs)
5) choose 'wipe handheld'

it'll ask you if you are sure, choose 'continue' and wipe all data. it will then disable your messaging and phone service. (basically defaults the phone)

start it back up and and see if your send/end key start to work again.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:47 PM   #6
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remax Realtor
I haven't installed any programs on my phone. Does the hard reset wipe the phone? How do you do one?
Don't go wiping the phone yet. That's a drastic procedure. Just do the battery reset. If that does not work, do it again. Try at least three times.

As I have said before, the BB operating system is a complicated OS for what we are asking it to do. After a time things get gummed up, just like your PC does.

The longer you go without doing a reset, say three or four days, the more likely you will experience some type of program, phone or other crashes, such as the keys not working.

A battery reset usually fixes things.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:55 PM   #7
Remax Realtor
Thumbs Must Hurt

The hard reset worked. Thanks guys!
Closed Thread