Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 09:16 AM   #1
kvon
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Default Horizontal scroll & focus?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm having troubles implementing horizontal scrolling: I have a collection of managers (horizontal, vertical & flow) with subordinate BasicEditFields all arranged into a 9x9 table. The whole thing is wider than the screen, and I have horizontal scrolling enabled in the MainScreen object. When you scroll focus to one of the fields in the right column, the screen scrolls horizontally - sort of. What it seems to do is only scroll right far enough that 1 or 2 characters worth of space is showing in the left side of that right column. i.e. maybe it's scrolling so as to only show the focus highlight region? I dunno. But I want the whole EditField that has focus to be visible. Interesting thing is, that when I scroll focus back to the left, those fields behave properly. i.e. when you shift focus to one of the fields, the manager re-displays the table so that the entire left column is visible.

Does this have anything to do with whether horizontal scrolling is implemented in the manager vs. the mainScreen object?

Do I need to implement some custom behavior here, or is it just a matter of setting some properties or flags that I haven't found yet?

Many TIA
Old 11-09-2006, 10:46 AM   #2
donricouga
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

What type of screen are you using ?
By default, a FullScreen contains a single vertical field manager. Use a FullScreen to provide an empty screen that
you can add UI components to in a standard vertical layout. If you need another type of layout, such as horizontal or
diagonal, use a Screen class and add a Manager to it.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:58 AM   #3
kvon

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by donricouga
What type of screen are you using ?
I'm using a MainScreen -- I understand that MainScreen comes with a VerticalFieldManger. I'm using a FlowFieldManager as my high-level (delegate?) manager, and doing MainScreen.add(FlowFieldManager).

Quote:
Originally Posted by donricouga
If you need another type of layout, such as horizontal or
diagonal, use a Screen class and add a Manager to it.
I tried doing this -- looks like it'll take some effort to get it to work, since there's a bunch of functionality in MainScreen I'm using that I'd have to re-create (e.g. focus handling). I also tried using a FullScreen and passing my FlowFieldManager into the FullScreen(delegate, style) constructor. That behaved the same as the MainScreen version.

My question is, do you think that might really make a difference, vs my current approach of using a MainScreen and providing a different delegate manager? This approach has worked fine for me, up until I tried to implement the horizontal scrolling...

Thanks for any info!!

Last edited by kvon; 11-09-2006 at 12:03 PM..
Old 11-10-2006, 02:07 PM   #4
kevin.ross

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

You can use MainScreen, we do.

Make sure you add the styles on construction of the screen to allow horizontal scrolling.

I think your issue is that you have scrolled, but it doesn't show your whole field, this leads me to believe that you need an extra focusable field at the end (to trick it to scroll all the way over).

On your HorizontalManager (row), try adding a NullField(Field.FOCUSABLE) as the last one.