Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 05:13 PM   #1
mongoose_eyeball
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: cingular
Default I dumped my data plan!

Please Login to Remove!

This will probably turn me into a pariah, but I just dumped my data plan. I kept it long enough to qualify for the rebate, then I dropped it like hot armadillo guts.

Sorry, but I just didn't use it. It was nice to click onto the Internet once in awhile, during a rare idle moment, but most of the sites I went to wouldn't read anyway (for example, hotmail required some kind of java support I didn't have), and the ones that did were painfully slow. I felt like I was using my mom's Pentium I.

And I never bothered to set up the email feature. I can wait until I get to a computer to check my email.

I use my 8700 for the easy texting, the calendar, the good address book, and the memo pad. I have a razr too, but I just can't give up the qwerty keyboard on the blackberry.

So am I the only fool out there who thinks $40/month is too much to pay to spend 10 minutes downloading a weather forecast or football score once every two weeks?
Old 11-09-2006, 05:26 PM   #2
pspiegel
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

no it seems logical, though i would hope you didn't pay full retail for the device.. then THAT would be a huge waste to pay a great amount of money up front and then not use half of the device's features...
Old 11-13-2006, 09:55 AM   #3
blakeatl
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose_eyeball
This will probably turn me into a pariah, but I just dumped my data plan. I kept it long enough to qualify for the rebate, then I dropped it like hot armadillo guts.

Sorry, but I just didn't use it. It was nice to click onto the Internet once in awhile, during a rare idle moment, but most of the sites I went to wouldn't read anyway (for example, hotmail required some kind of java support I didn't have), and the ones that did were painfully slow. I felt like I was using my mom's Pentium I.

And I never bothered to set up the email feature. I can wait until I get to a computer to check my email.

I use my 8700 for the easy texting, the calendar, the good address book, and the memo pad. I have a razr too, but I just can't give up the qwerty keyboard on the blackberry.

So am I the only fool out there who thinks $40/month is too much to pay to spend 10 minutes downloading a weather forecast or football score once every two weeks?

Would it be too much if I called you a gadget junky?
Old 11-13-2006, 10:42 AM   #4
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Meh. Whatever works for you. I'd switch to a carrier that offered better Blackberry data plan pricing if I wanted it but felt that $40/month was too much (though in reality coverage is always my top concern). YMMV. Who cares what other people think? They're not footing the bill...
Old 11-13-2006, 10:55 AM   #5
b1g b3n

Model: 8703e
Carrier: VZW

seems kind of silly to have a blackberry if you aren't going to use the data features, especially email. whatever works for you, though. it's your $.

i don't user proper capitalization when typing.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:04 AM   #6
phjnky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

My Blackberry allows me to be in contact whether there's a PC around or not. Since I work from home, I'm not chained to my desk. I can can go out and cut firewood, chat, reply, receive alerts..

You're right though, if you don't use it for email or chat, it's not worth paying for the web browser to check sports scores etc. I always found that to be pretty much a waste.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:01 PM   #7
mongoose_eyeball

Model: 8700c
Carrier: cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1g b3n
seems kind of silly to have a blackberry if you aren't going to use the data features, especially email. whatever works for you, though. it's your $.
Actually, my 8700c was free after the rebate, it's not like it cost me anymore than my wife's bottom-of-the-line Nokia.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:52 PM   #8
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Ya $40 samolies is a bit much, glad I am on T-Mo for $19 smackers

I actually dont use email much on my 8700... BUT I do use Berry411 quite a bit (saves the $2 411 charge each time I use it)... I use BBWeather a few times a day... AND most important I love and use PDSports several times a day for sports scores... For these reasons I cant do without the data connection. To me at least it is well worth $19 samolies a month for the above stated uses... Now if it was $40 a month.... I might have to reconsider
Old 11-14-2006, 09:43 PM   #9
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

I agree, I'm glad I'm with Tmobile also.. I Need my data, must have for me.

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 11-14-2006, 10:12 PM   #10
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Model: 8800
PIN: 240582A8
Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash24
I agree, I'm glad I'm with Tmobile also.. I Need my data, must have for me.
yeah switc to TMo lower rats. I need my data for a lot of resons Cingular is robbing people blind you could prbaly port the device to tmo All yow would have to di sync your BB to a box install the th TMO verssion of BB os an chagl the sim from a cingular to TMO I don't think you would have to have it unlocked to pull this off because I can have MyTMo BB detect Cingulars towers and make emergancy calls
I'm betting you can only do this on GSM_edge devices that USE sim cards.
Inother wors presuming your not still locked in a contract with cingular
You could pull this off Juist make sure yo use Manual network detection to change networks anybody care to back up the validity on my Claim an tech solution to save thid guy son $$?
Old 11-14-2006, 10:15 PM   #11
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron
yeah switc to TMo lower rats. I need my data for a lot of resons Cingular is robbing people blind you could prbaly port the device to tmo All yow would have to di sync your BB to a box install the th TMO verssion of BB os an chagl the sim from a cingular to TMO I don't think you would have to have it unlocked to pull this off because I can have MyTMo BB detect Cingulars towers and make emergancy calls
I'm betting you can only do this on GSM_edge devices that USE sim cards.
Inother wors presuming your not still locked in a contract with cingular
You could pull this off Juist make sure yo use Manual network detection to change networks anybody care to back up the validity on my Claim an tech solution to save thid guy son $$?
No need to change the OS to T-Mo as Cingular's (or any carriers) os works just fine on any BB

Yes the device would need to be unlocked for it to work on T-Mo... It's locked to Cingular just as T-Mo's are locked to T-Mo...
Old 11-14-2006, 10:41 PM   #12
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Model: 8800
PIN: 240582A8
Carrier: tmobile

Yeah we need our data
An yes your a gadet junkie from what you've just told us seems to try to be living beyond your means.
No offense. I only ys and invest in gadets th I know will use about ALL the funtions
But I also live on a budget too. Don't tell mey you signed up with cingular just to get the BB.
BTW razr's break so easilly
Sell it on ebay
Old 11-14-2006, 11:01 PM   #13
camaxtli
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
PIN: a colada
Carrier: Tmobile

Why do you pay 40 on cingular? Are you on cingular? I pay $29 for unlimited data with BIS. 39.99 plus $5 off with voice plan. on cingular. Did you get stuck with a BES plan? I admit its still a little high but every bit helps.

(you know what to put here)business.cingular.com/businesscenter/plans/dataconnect.jsp

Last edited by camaxtli; 11-14-2006 at 11:03 PM..
Old 11-14-2006, 11:53 PM   #14
plchan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700g
Carrier: NO One

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1g b3n
True and someone just "wants" a bb and not know exactly he/she wants to use a bb for; additionally, the op seems interested to get the rebate. May be an amazon rebate and make the final price of the bb to be zero.