BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 11:48 AM   #1
capp50

Model: 8703e
Default Tough Questions- Only really smart folks need view...

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, just kidding, these aren't really tough -- more like really frustrating. And the answer to both may simply be, "you can't", which is fine, because at least I'll stop looking /asking.

1) Auto backlight when Alerts/Reminders come up -- Whenever a calendar reminder comes up, my previous PalmPilot automatically turned on and displayed the reminder/alert. With my current Blackberry the audible alert sounds, but the screen remains dark and I have to hit a key to see what's going on. Very frustrating Does anyone know of a way to change that? FYI, I'm currently testing PocketDay, which professes to be able to do this, but a) it doesn't seem to do so on my 8703e, even though I've found and enabled the option and b) I'm not sure I like the product all that much anyway.

2) Auto Syncrhonization -- I do not have BES. I use both the USB cable and Bluetooth to synch. calendar and email. I'm using Desktop Manager 4.2.0.10. In the Synchronize setup, there's a checkbox that states "Synch. the items selected above automatically when your device is connected to the Desktop Manager". I've checked this box, yet I cannot get this thing to auto-synch. Anyone have any idea why? Is this a feature that really doesn't work?

Thanks folks
Old 11-16-2006, 12:36 PM   #2
careyana
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8820
Carrier: CingATT

Okay, in answer to your questions:

1). I don't believe it's possible

2). Do you have DM running when you connect your device to synch?
Old 11-16-2006, 01:13 PM   #3
Nickster248

Model: 9800
PIN: 2333C6FD
Carrier: Telus

Quote:
Originally Posted by capp50
Ok, just kidding, these aren't really tough -- more like really frustrating. And the answer to both may simply be, "you can't", which is fine, because at least I'll stop looking /asking.

2) Auto Syncrhonization -- I do not have BES. I use both the USB cable and Bluetooth to synch. calendar and email. I'm using Desktop Manager 4.2.0.10. In the Synchronize setup, there's a checkbox that states "Synch. the items selected above automatically when your device is connected to the Desktop Manager". I've checked this box, yet I cannot get this thing to auto-synch. Anyone have any idea why? Is this a feature that really doesn't work?

Thanks folks
When you say "automatic", do you mean sync the Blackberry without any User intervention, or do you simply want the BB to sync the moment you connect the USB Cable?

Being able to sync without any User intervention is simply a matter of going to your 'Advanced' options and unchecking the two boxes that deal with confirmations of deletions and/or changes. You might also want to look at your Conflict Resolution tab as well.

If you want your BB to sync the instant you connect to your BB Desktop Software, then the check box you alluded to in your posting is the way to do that, although there are at times delays before the sync process actually begins. I have no idea why the delay.

BB PIN: 2333C6FD on a Torch 9800
Old 11-16-2006, 03:14 PM   #4
crackbradley
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9900
Carrier: Telus

To add my $.02 worth on your second point make sure you've got the Desktop Manager running at startup, not just the BB device manager. The device manager will manage the connection (physical or bluetooth) but the desktop mgr is needed to do the actual sync.

Brad
Old 11-16-2006, 03:20 PM   #5
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

For question number one, do a quick search for "BBLight"...it's a 3rd party app that will do what you ask, I believe.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:59 PM   #6
capp50

Update:

Ok, for some reason, when I check all of the checkboxes in the 'Synchronize' tab (synch org. data, execute add-in actions, update device date/time), the auto-synch appears to work. Now the only annoying part is that when I go out of range and then come back in range of my PC, the software asks me if I want to make a bluetooth connection to my handheld (well, yes of course I do, can you please not ask me every time?) If anyone knows how to stop that annoyance, I'll buy you a malt beverage.

On the other issue, from what I hear, BBlight (recommended above), allows you to keep your backlight/display on all the time, but what I want is only for it to come on when I have an alert....that's not too much to ask is it?? (Dare I say the backlight/display should remain on always when connected via USB cable??? That would be way too Palm-like).

Thx
Old 11-17-2006, 09:42 AM   #7
careyana

Quote:
Update:

Ok, for some reason, when I check all of the checkboxes in the 'Synchronize' tab (synch org. data, execute add-in actions, update device date/time), the auto-synch appears to work. Now the only annoying part is that when I go out of range and then come back in range of my PC, the software asks me if I want to make a bluetooth connection to my handheld (well, yes of course I do, can you please not ask me every time?) If anyone knows how to stop that annoyance, I'll buy you a malt beverage.

Then I have an answer!

If you go to your Bluetooth devices and go to the device properties (not options!) for the connection to your PC, change Trusted to Yes.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:57 AM   #8
capp50

Thanks. On the blackberry, I went to <options> , <Bluetooth>, <Device Properties>, and <Trusted> was already set to -YES-. So unless there's somewhere else to look, I don't think that's it.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:09 PM   #9
careyana

Quote:
Thanks. On the blackberry, I went to <options> , <Bluetooth>, <Device Properties>, and <Trusted> was already set to -YES-. So unless there's somewhere else to look, I don't think that's it.
Oh heck, you meant you're getting the prompt on your PC, right?

I wish I could help you there but our BES policy restricts data connections with our devices. :(
Old 11-19-2006, 02:50 AM   #10
Nubian

Model: 8830e
Carrier: Verizon

Get a case with a sleeper function (magnet). When you hear the notification chime (whatever you set it to be), open the case/take the phone out of the case... and the screen will automatically come on so you can view it. Works like a charm on mine and my husbands, we have flip cases. I hear the chime, open it up, and Yay!!!! backlight...
Closed Thread