Carrier: at&t

Please Login to Remove!

it's working now after trying 10 times.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:31 PM   #82
croman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers

wow cant believe i didnt see this thread earlier!! anyways, got it working - got a questions, not sure if anybody knows the answers..

when u "Email Location" ive emailed it and im guess it has to be emailed to another BB? i sent it to another email of mine, but it only comes up with a webpage (not a map).. anyone know what the deal is?
Old 11-24-2006, 07:36 PM   #83
bcichon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

Everytime I try and select an address from the Address book it says it cannot locate, and I realized it doesnt ever pull the city, state, it only searches the street address, any else have this problem?
Old 11-24-2006, 11:23 PM   #84
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

great tool , now if I can get a GPS pod for the 8700 it will be wonderful
Old 11-25-2006, 06:49 PM   #85
eap
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Pearl
Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
works fine on the 7100i
Any success with OTA on the 7520 would B appewciated. I've tried the above links but get server errors - I'm out on the BB now and could use a direct OTA link...thanks
Old 11-25-2006, 09:53 PM   #86
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Just an FYI, the download has been removed from blackberry.com, for now. The second link may work for the JAD file, but it won't load since the COD files are no longer available.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:46 AM   #87
Cyclops
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800

Download link seems to be working, I just downloaded from www.blackberry.com/maps from my Blackberry Bell Mobility 7130e browser, can someone recommend a good Bluetooth GPS receiver to use with the 7130e (Bell Mobility)
Old 11-26-2006, 12:40 PM   #88
eap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
Just an FYI, the download has been removed from blackberry.com, for now. The second link may work for the JAD file, but it won't load since the COD files are no longer available.
thanx for that. I was able to get the JAD file downloaded to the PC but would get an error related to missing "Java.. (something) on line 6 or 7" - must be the COD files(?). Would always get a 50x server error when attempting to link from the BB7520...
Old 11-26-2006, 02:24 PM   #89
Askani

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Wasn't working for me earlier. But Cyclops's link works for me now.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:39 PM   #90
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by eap
thanx for that. I was able to get the JAD file downloaded to the PC but would get an error related to missing "Java.. (something) on line 6 or 7" - must be the COD files(?). Would always get a 50x server error when attempting to link from the BB7520...
No, you'd need to use your BlackBerry to download a JAD file, not your PC.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:23 PM   #91
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

Just downloaded BlackBerry Maps for the first time.

I find Google Maps nicer for looking up unknown addresses (as I don't have GPS), but for the ability to lookup a map directly from the addressbook, this is pretty cool.

While i prefer the colors of Google Maps, the antialiasing in BlackBerry Maps is the best I've seen: I can tell it uses subpixel antialiasing (ala Microsoft ClearType style) which results in sharper non-pixellated edges.

Some suggestions for future versions of BlackBerry Maps:
  • Support letter suffixes. For example "595B Besserer Street, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada" and "763-A Springland Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada" ... Just automatically strip the letter prefix and automatically lookup "595 Besserer Street". Since units A, B, C are at the same location.
  • Support configurable font sizes so I can use a smaller font and see more street names. I want to use tiny font sizes. 5-point and 6-point font is sufficiently readable on an 8700 screen when it is well-antialiased.
  • On faster BlackBerry models, support background rendering of offscreen areas as I scroll, so that there is less flickering as I scroll
  • Seeing it is vector based, configurable color scheme ("Daytime", "Night Vision", "Google Style", etc) should be feasible and would be nice.
  • Ability to generate directions from two addresses in the addressbook
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 11-26-2006 at 05:25 PM..
Old 11-26-2006, 07:44 PM   #92
Need
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130E
Carrier: Sprint

After using BB maps for the weekend, I think I might just cancel my Telenav monthly subscription. Yeah, Telenav has a lot more functions like voice prompt, turn by turn prompt, business search, and re-route. But now that I have a free GPS application, I don't really want to pay $10 a month. If I really got lost, BB map + Google maps would get me out just as easy.

I took BB map to my walking trip with the baby this weekend. It was very accurate. I can see 10 sat around my house on a cloudy day. I like the giant letter showing which street is coming up. Because of this, the direction is easier to follow than Google maps. Great tool and probably going to save me $10 a month! ;) Thanks OP.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:23 PM   #93
eap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
No, you'd need to use your BlackBerry to download a JAD file, not your PC.
I've tried it dozens of times both ways. Loading from the PC with the Desktop Manager reveals the Java error on line 6 or something like that.

Downloading from the Blackberry.com/maps sites now reveals a "HTTP error 404: Not found...". The Knology gave a differenet error --- but wait, I'm trying again now for 30th @$@#!%$ time and it looks to be going through.... Good thing I was off this weekend....Sheesh... Is this what being a "crackberry" is like... ?
Old 11-26-2006, 09:56 PM   #94
joginder
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Passp
Carrier: ATT

Also On Google Maps I can looks for University Ave, Chicago, IL but BBMaps will not let me do this.
I think so far I am sticking to Google more than on BBMaps. May be time will tell.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:09 PM   #95
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joginder
Also On Google Maps I can looks for University Ave, Chicago, IL but BBMaps will not let me do this.
I think so far I am sticking to Google more than on BBMaps. May be time will tell.

I think you just need them both. Today was looking for a place in Telenav and gave up - Google had it. Go figure as both use NAVTEQ for data.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:13 PM   #96
eap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need
After using BB maps for the weekend, I think I might just cancel my Telenav monthly subscription. Yeah, Telenav has a lot more functions like voice prompt, turn by turn prompt, business search, and re-route. But now that I have a free GPS application, I don't really want to pay $10 a month. If I really got lost, BB map + Google maps would get me out just as easy.

I took BB map to my walking trip with the baby this weekend. It was very accurate. I can see 10 sat around my house on a cloudy day. I like the giant letter showing which street is coming up. Because of this, the direction is easier to follow than Google maps. Great tool and probably going to save me $10 a month! ;) Thanks OP.
I finally got BBMap loaded on my 7520 but was not as impressed as you were.

I use Telenav also, and like following my route with BBMap (which Telenav does not do), I found BBMap way to slow to update while moving at highway speeds (my daughter driving...). Several minutes (not seconds) and even while stoppd for a red light, the BBMap still indicated I was moving (20mph down to 4mph) until the light changed green.

The TeleNav voice prompt works great and the screen is easy to read.

Anyway, I'll keep all for now, Navtec (office pays), BBMap, GoogleMap...

Great forum BTW.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:56 PM   #97
DLB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops
Download link seems to be working, I just downloaded from www.blackberry.com/maps from my Blackberry Bell Mobility 7130e browser, can someone recommend a good Bluetooth GPS receiver to use with the 7130e (Bell Mobility)
I have the same question as Cyclops. Since the activated internal GPS in the 7130e does seem to work with Blackberry Maps or Bell Mobility...what is a good Bluetooth GPS receiver to get.

Thanks

DLB
Old 11-28-2006, 03:54 PM   #98
FightingDevil
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Installed via the JAD file, the blackberry.com OTA didn't work for me!

It's OK...I think I'm still partial to Google Maps, though!! Although, I do like the 'Map from Address Book Feature'...that does ROCK!!

Last edited by FightingDevil; 11-28-2006 at 03:58 PM..
Old 11-29-2006, 01:04 AM   #99
aviationwiz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Has anyone gotten this to work with the built-in GPS on the Verizon 7250?
Old 11-29-2006, 02:25 PM   #100
korereactor

Model: 8820

I can't seem to keep my backlight from going out. I set the setting for 75%, then tried all the settings and it keeps going out. Any ideas? It's quite annoying. I've got a Cingular 8700c with a bluetooth GPS unit.
Closed Thread