Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 12:11 AM   #1
o2mpx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint and ATT
Default 8100 Quality

Please Login to Remove!

Continue to be frustrated with RIM's quality or lack there of. Top of phone chromed area next to the standby button started to have a scratch, then began to pit.

Wonder if I should try to rub the whole thing off like the penny trick I read on silkscreen logo removals. Has anyone come across this?
Old 12-09-2006, 04:04 AM   #2
walds11
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 3GS
Carrier: at&t

I picked up my Pearl last Saturday. As I was driving home from the Cingular store, I noticed a very small pit on the chrome in the same area you described. Not a huge deal as I was not going to turn around and head back to exchange it. Too late to exchange it now I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2mpx
Continue to be frustrated with RIM's quality or lack there of. Top of phone chromed area next to the standby button started to have a scratch, then began to pit.

Wonder if I should try to rub the whole thing off like the penny trick I read on silkscreen logo removals. Has anyone come across this?
Old 12-09-2006, 08:12 AM   #3
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

As far I am concerned, the quality of RIM devices dropped drastically when they changed from molded products like the 75XX series where the plastic was the same color all the way thru. I could use a 7520 for a couple of years without any signs of wear.

Today pretty and shiney painted Blackberrys will not last near as long before it's cosmetics sufferes. From the feel of the 8100c keyboard, it will not last as long either. As far as the Pearl ball v.s. the scroll wheel, the jury is still out to see how long the ball lasts.

I would like RIM to go back to who ever made their devices like the 75XX series and use the same material for the cases. This texture plastic may not be as glitzy as what some users want, today, but it will look beter and be more rugged in the long run.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:24 AM   #4
tprime
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Tmobile

Its funny many said the 8700g is cheaply made but I've had mine for 8 months and it still looks good. I'll admit its doesn't feel as rugged as the older devices it looks better and only time will tell its durability. As for the pearl my wife got one from Tmo the first week it was released and it still looks great. She always complained that BBs are too ugly. But the pearl is the best looking BB to date. Is it durable...only time will tell. I say let wait at least a year and see how they look and if they endure. My buddy got a 8700c when it first came out on Cingular. It has some scratches on the corners but its still in good shape so I'm all for the improved looks.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:29 AM   #5
firstrebel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Vodafone UK

This applies to many things now. I wonder if it is a ploy for us to buy a newer model sooner than we normally would.

Bob
Old 12-09-2006, 01:44 PM   #6
soch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8220
Carrier: tmo

I saw a small dent/broken part near the top left side of the trackball outer ring (chrome color) & the dent goes to the black surface too.

I have been very careful with 8100. I don't think I pressed something sharp on it.

I wanted to exchange but that is too much of a hassel with TMO (too many minutes wasted on phone).
Old 12-09-2006, 02:29 PM   #7
Dark Knight
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

I've enjoyed the Pearl since I purchased it. The only issue I have is the lack of video recording capability and not able to edit documents if the need arises. There's third party software for document editing/sharing such as eOffice but it's also costly. Other than those two complaints I find the device sleek and sexy. Definitely more suited to executives than a every day joe/jane user, while at the same time offering features found in stylish devices such as the Moto SLVR. Sure it's a phone you would want to take extra care with but it's no RIM 7230 and it's a lot lighter to carry than the Treo or other bulky smartphones like the HP iPAQ HW6515.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:59 PM   #8
BiggJayBK
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: 243070B3
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt
As far I am concerned, the quality of RIM devices dropped drastically when they changed from molded products like the 75XX series where the plastic was the same color all the way thru. I could use a 7520 for a couple of years without any signs of wear.

Today pretty and shiney painted Blackberrys will not last near as long before it's cosmetics sufferes. From the feel of the 8100c keyboard, it will not last as long either. As far as the Pearl ball v.s. the scroll wheel, the jury is still out to see how long the ball lasts.

I would like RIM to go back to who ever made their devices like the 75XX series and use the same material for the cases. This texture plastic may not be as glitzy as what some users want, today, but it will look beter and be more rugged in the long run.

I couldn't agree with you more. I bought the rubber skin for my phone a week after i purchd it and it looks good to me. All phones are made with cheap cases. except the razor, well the krazor looks kind of cheap.

Old 12-09-2006, 04:49 PM   #9
562pearl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: pearl
PIN: 23F83543
Carrier: tmob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've enjoyed the Pearl since I purchased it. The only issue I have is the lack of video recording capability and not able to edit documents if the need arises. There's third party software for document editing/sharing such as eOffice but it's also costly. Other than those two complaints I find the device sleek and sexy. Definitely more suited to executives than a every day joe/jane user, while at the same time offering features found in stylish devices such as the Moto SLVR. Sure it's a phone you would want to take extra care with but it's no RIM 7230 and it's a lot lighter to carry than the Treo or other bulky smartphones like the HP iPAQ HW6515.

couldnt said it any better
I love my pearl !!!!

Last edited by 562pearl; 12-09-2006 at 05:00 PM..
Old 12-09-2006, 05:20 PM   #10
mpallo

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

I have had my Pearl for a couple weeks now and must say that the screen is much more resistant to scratches and pits than I would have thought. The black plastic while smudging pretty easily, has yet to get any scratches.

With that said I am pretty happy with the quality.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:07 PM   #11
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Well I'll chime in since this is an interesting subject.

I think the Pearl looks the way it does because RIM designed it to look attractive to the 190 million "Non-BB" cell phone users that RIM is going after. Hence the chrome, black, shine here and there, etc.

Those 190 million non-professional users don't buy phones based on how sturdy the case is, they buy on looks. Imagine the Pearl with 7100t looks and construction.

If the Pearl looked like my old 7100t, probably 99% of prospective customers would not give the phone a second look. I used the 7100t for about 18 months. I heard nary a compliment that phone. Let's face it, the thing looked like a government-issued device.

As to construction quality, I do wonder what happened there. The Pearl took three years to develop. That is a long time. Was all the effort put into the innards without regard to the case? I dunno.

Some of the pieces seem easy enough to beef up without adding weight or bulk to the phone, such as the battery cover locking mechanism. I suspect RIM will upgrade that area or new models will address the issue.

I don't have a problem with the phone's fit and finish because I have a total BSE skin and I keep it encased in a Seidio rubberized case. The phone feels pretty solid and the surfaces are protected [and out of view since the case covers most of the phone except the keyboard and display].
Old 12-09-2006, 10:47 PM   #12
o2mpx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint and ATT

Started rubbing off the chrome with edge of penny. Looks like it'll take it off but it'll not be shiny underneath as RIM didn't use the shiny black plastic where the chrome was. Guess that's still better than seeing the chrome pitted.

Since I like the size of the 8100 and not use a skin or case as I just put it in my pants pocket, will wait for the 8800 and in the mean time will check out the Tmo Dash and see how that is.

The main draw for me is email, and if there's a better built device out there, slim to fit in pocket with full qwerty or suretype, I'll be happy.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:20 AM   #13
rkkeller

Carrier: T-Mobile USA

People are also forgetting that the average life of an electronics device is two years. I am not saying it will stop working after that but usually a newer product is released and people upgrade.

I have been getting a new cell/pda approx. every 2-3 years. The last one from Verizon I only kept a year then went with Tmobile and the Pearl.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:24 PM   #14
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Also, do not remember how many BB users had one of the 7500 series but the screen was recessed and made of a different material than the 8100 screen.

Please don't get me wrong as I am a happy 8100C user. I did only purchase it so that I will be used to the Indigo. I will still take a horizonal oriented screen and QWERTY!!!
Old 12-10-2006, 12:43 PM   #15
Mandizzle
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9800
PIN: 2322E11D
Carrier: Rogers

I've had the Pearl since Rogers released it and haven't got any scratches or dents. I used the pearl without any protection for the first 2.5 weeks or so. Now I have the BSE full skin and the OEM BB rubber skin case. The device seems pretty well protected as the only exposed parts are the screen and the keyboard. Just need to be careful against dropping the phone and I think it should hold up pretty well over time.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:51 AM   #16
blakeatl

Carrier: T-mobile

With my protective case.....my Pearl is gonna look as brand new in 2 years as it did when I first picked it up.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:12 AM   #17
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Mine is only going to look a few months old as I will toss it in a drawer with the other Blackberrys when the 8800 Indigo is introduced in January! The SureType is NOT growing on me, nor is the vertical screen thing.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:26 AM   #18
blakeatl

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt
Mine is only going to look a few months old as I will toss it in a drawer with the other Blackberrys when the 8800 Indigo is introduced in January! The SureType is NOT growing on me, nor is the vertical screen thing.

I'll take a 7105 off your hands if you have one. Always wanted to see how those worked.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:06 PM   #19
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
Well I'll chime in since this is an interesting subject.

I think the Pearl looks the way it does because RIM designed it to look attractive to the 190 million "Non-BB" cell phone users that RIM is going after. Hence the chrome, black, shine here and there, etc.

Those 190 million non-professional users don't buy phones based on how sturdy the case is, they buy on looks. Imagine the Pearl with 7100t looks and construction.

If the Pearl looked like my old 7100t, probably 99% of prospective customers would not give the phone a second look. I used the 7100t for about 18 months. I heard nary a compliment that phone. Let's face it, the thing looked like a government-issued device.

As to construction quality, I do wonder what happened there. The Pearl took three years to develop. That is a long time. Was all the effort put into the innards without regard to the case? I dunno.

Some of the pieces seem easy enough to beef up without adding weight or bulk to the phone, such as the battery cover locking mechanism. I suspect RIM will upgrade that area or new models will address the issue.

I don't have a problem with the phone's fit and finish because I have a total BSE skin and I keep it encased in a Seidio rubberized case. The phone feels pretty solid and the surfaces are protected [and out of view since the case covers most of the phone except the keyboard and display].

I couldnt agree with you more. I am one of the spoiled people who bought the Pearl for its looks. I was thinking about getting a Sony phone from Europe, but then say the Pearl, it was simply amazing. The looks will propel BB into a new market.

8100c
Closed Thread