BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 09:20 AM   #1
hoggan17

Model: 8700c
Default No Coverage Zone - NYC Area

Please Login to Remove!

Just got my 8700 thru cingular about 3 weeks ago. The actual device itself, I love. Why didn't I get this before? My issue is this: I work in NYC and my coverage (data and phone) is great. I live in Hoboken just thru the Lincoln tunnel and never had a data/phone coverage issue before about 3 days ago. All of a sudden, i got the dreaded "data connection refused" when I got out of the tunnel and the lowercase 'edge' or just "GMS" appeared. When I went back thru the tunnel to NYC in the morning, my emails came thru again the the EDGE was in full force. This has been going on for 3 days. I spoke with Cingular who told me that the trasmitters/towers on the NJ side of the Lincoln tunnel aren't up to speed for the data transmissions. A couple of questions:

1. Does anyone in this area experience the same problem?
2. If my data worked before this with no problem and now they tell me the towers aren't sufficient to carry the data coverage, will this be something that Cingular is working to rectify or should I get a replacement phone to see if that is the issue?

Any advice/info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:28 AM   #2
newyowker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

I had a similar problem in the tunnel that the LIRR uses through midtown Manhattan to Queens. Although I was roaming when the data connection was refused. It happened a few times and eventually stopped doing that. Are you roaming there? I think your best bet is to report this to cingular and make sure they put in a ticket for the network engineers.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:30 AM   #3
newyowker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

Once they put in the ticket most companies will have someone call you back within 48 hours. Keep on top of the problem and if they don't call you back, you call back with the ticket number and also maybe alittle bit of complaining might help.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:02 AM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

I also had minimal issues near the west side but a call to Cingular did work. just keep pushing
Closed Thread