Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 04:51 PM   #1
wlee309
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel
Default Verichat blues

Please Login to Remove!

I've been searching for an IM program for the blackberry 7520 and decided to give each of them a try.

For testing purposes, we used a desktop account and sent/received IM messages to a blackberry 7520 on Nextel web client (No BES) for 4 popular IM services (AOL/MSN/ICQ/Yahoo). All correct version DL'ed and installed onto the BB. Well, here are my reviews:

update April 2, 2005 - IM+ - 5 day trial, pretty stable; wish I can try it longer. Single socket connection.

Very simple software if not no-frills. IM+ originally had no way to tell who IM'ed you despite having notification (vibrate or sound) but with version 2.1, has that capability. My 5 day trial is over for the last version and I hope IM+ will allow me to try 2.1. Please post your results.

Also, the ability to log on or disconnect certain supported IM proggies at your choice is great as well as the global connect and disconnect. However, there is no global 'away' or global status; one must set each one manually. There's also a bug. When you join a session, the current screen meshes with the chat screen which causes the text to overlap....the only way to fix this is if you hit a key or scroll the wheel (no biggie but a bit annoying).

Verichat - 30 day trial, uses four separate connections.

For the life of IM'ing, every other IM gets either lost, delayed or simply never transmitted. We also lose connection to the IM service occasionally. I like Verichat which seems more robust than IM+ and the ability to see how many IM's you receive while in a chat session with someone else is great for heavy IM users. But if IM's are lost or your contacts never receive your IM, things can get frustrating.

Webmessenger - 30 day trial, uses single socket connection.

Outstanding utilities and features and has the best interface in my opinion. Has chat rooms and has the ability to play chess or card game/s with another buddy (haven't tested this). The single socket connection theory is awesome IF the server can keep you connected. Researching past posts reveals that many users have the same problem. (supports Jabber and Lotus SameTime)

Last edited by wlee309; 04-02-2005 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: IM+ just updated their software to address the major issue I had w it.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:39 AM   #2
AL904
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

I gave up on Verichat a couple of weeks ago, and installed WebMessenger. I'm still in my thirty-day trial, but plan to buy a license for WebMessenger at the end of the trial.

I had originally intended to wait for the single-socket version of Verichat to be released. However, I like WebMessenger too well, now, to give it up..

Old 03-30-2005, 09:58 AM   #3
SchmutzBerry

Model: 8800
Carrier: Evil Mr. Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL904
I gave up on Verichat a couple of weeks ago, and installed WebMessenger. I'm still in my thirty-day trial, but plan to buy a license for WebMessenger at the end of the trial.

I had originally intended to wait for the single-socket version of Verichat to be released. However, I like WebMessenger too well, now, to give it up..
Why did you find it better. I'm evaluating Verichat right now. I like it, it's very reliable for me. The only problem I have is if I leave it running in the background, it just EATS up my battery life. Is Webmessenger better for this?
Old 03-30-2005, 10:07 AM   #4
AL904

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmutzBerry
Why did you find it better. I'm evaluating Verichat right now. I like it, it's very reliable for me. The only problem I have is if I leave it running in the background, it just EATS up my battery life. Is Webmessenger better for this?
I haven't noticed any battery-life probs, but then, I don't leave WebMessenger running in the background a lot.

I kept having problems with Verichat: "malformed address," and various other errors including continuous logging on and off at times. The only time I used Verichat for any length of time, without probs was when I only connected to AOL IM. Trying to log on to all four messenger services would give me connection problems.

On the other hand, WebMessenger stays logged on without any problems. It just seems like a much more stable program to me.

Old 03-30-2005, 06:52 PM   #5
wlee309
Thumbs Must Hurt

Have any of you guys tried IM+ yet? so far, it's been rock solid for me. As much as I like the features of Verichat, the reliability is just unacceptable. I'd love to try Webmessenger when my trial ends. It would also be nice if the Webmessenger website can be updated with a colored version of their software.

Can Webmessenger work from Blackberry to Blackberry? The visual chart they have does not provide a solution for handheld to handheld. There's also a mention of having a webmessenger software to DL onto a desktop. I'm a bit confused about their approach to portable IM.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:44 AM   #6
blackberrycat
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers

I have been using the Verichat on my 7280 for quite a while now, and recently while enrouting to Florida from Canada in our caravan I put the program to an extreme test chatting with friends and office using msn, icq & yahoo. Sorry I dont know anyone using AOL. The reception and clarity & speed came through with flying colors. People I chatted with were using their desktops and they were rather impressed with the speed of transmissions. I must add that as we drove thru different states to our final destination the switching from rogers, cingular and t-mobile networks didnt slow down the transmission speed and or accuracy of msgs. I would recommend Verichat anytime.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:31 AM   #7
AL904

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee309
Can Webmessenger work from Blackberry to Blackberry? The visual chart they have does not provide a solution for handheld to handheld. There's also a mention of having a webmessenger software to DL onto a desktop. I'm a bit confused about their approach to portable IM.
The way I understand WebMessenger's approach is that you connect with their server. The WebMessenger server connects to each of the four IM servers and acts as an intermediary between you and the Yahoo! Messenger server, for example. (WebMessenger also has a Jabber interface too, I believe.) IM+, on the other hand, is simply software you run on your 'berry to connect separately to each of the four IM servers (AIM, MSN, etc.)

Connecting to a single interface server at WebMessenger offers the advantage of a more stable and consistant connection. The disadvantage is that each user has to pay an annual fee to use the software and access the WebMessenger server.

As a separate application, WebMessenger has a desktop client (somewhat like Trillian) to send and receive IMs.

With WebMessenger you have a username that allows you to communicate via IMs with other WebMessenger users, as well as the other IM services.

For direct Blackberry-to-Blackberry messages, PIN Messages may be your best bet.

Somebody please correct me if I have any of this wrong.

Old 03-31-2005, 10:35 AM   #8
wlee309
Thumbs Must Hurt

"IM+, on the other hand, is simply software you run on your 'berry to connect separately to each of the four IM servers (AIM, MSN, etc.) "

I thought that IM+ is a single socket IM program as per their diagram:
http://im.shapeservices.de/SCREENSHOTS/BB/bb_scheme.gif

I won't argue that Verichat is a bad/good software but as I sit in front of my desktop and IM my boss' 7520 Nextel, she does not get some of my IM's. We were testing this in real time on 3 separate days. Sometimes she would compose a message and I won't see anything on my desktop (We're using Yahoo only btw).

I'm going to try Wemessenger today. What I would like to know is whether it is possible to send/receive IM's from a BB using webmessenger to another BB user also using webmessenger/verichat/IM+.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:52 AM   #9
AL904

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee309
I thought that IM+ is a single socket IM program as per their diagram:
http://im.shapeservices.de/SCREENSHOTS/BB/bb_scheme.gif
It looks you're right (and I'm wrong) about IM+.

Last edited by AL904; 03-31-2005 at 10:56 AM..
Old 03-31-2005, 04:04 PM   #10
wlee309
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for trying the webmessnger to webmessenger with me; looks like it works mobo to mobo. Despite having a few intial crashes teh software is nice. I prefer it over Verichat and like the fact that there are built in onlien games as well as chat rooms which you can also set as private. Very nice features. I'm lovin; my BB even more.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:49 AM   #11
Eric5273

Model: 7100g
Carrier: Cingular

I need an IM program that will let me see which of my AIM buddies are away and which are online. Until one of the programs allows for this, I am not going to bother paying for any of them. I do not use IMs as a major way of important communication. I use email or SMS (or make a phone call) for that. AIM is just for leisure when I have some time to kill. With VeriChat, I sign on and see 15 buddies are online and one by one I send them messages only to get a return message from 14 of them that they are away from their computers. It makes the program useless to me.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:27 AM   #12
briandor

Model: 7100t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5273
I need an IM program that will let me see which of my AIM buddies are away and which are online. Until one of the programs allows for this, I am not going to bother paying for any of them. I do not use IMs as a major way of important communication. I use email or SMS (or make a phone call) for that. AIM is just for leisure when I have some time to kill. With VeriChat, I sign on and see 15 buddies are online and one by one I send them messages only to get a return message from 14 of them that they are away from their computers. It makes the program useless to me.
Looks like Webmessenger shows online status correctly. I just got webmessenger working the other day and from what I've seen so far I like it way better than VeriChat. Only downside so far is that it seems that their server goes down a lot.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:59 PM   #13
AL904

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandor
Only downside so far is that it seems that their server goes down a lot.
In the two and a half weeks that I have been using WebMessenger on a trial basis, I haven't seen any server down-time until today.

I have been unable to connect to the WebMessenger server with either my Blackberry or my PC all day today.

Now, I am having second thoughts about buying a license.

Old 04-01-2005, 02:37 PM   #14
briandor

Model: 7100t

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL904
In the two and a half weeks that I have been using WebMessenger on a trial basis, I haven't seen any server down-time until today.

I have been unable to connect to the WebMessenger server with either my Blackberry or my PC all day today.

Now, I am having second thoughts about buying a license.
I was seeing down time yesterday too. Like I said I just got webmessenger working like 3 days ago so seeing the server down 2 out of 3 days makes me think that their server is down alot. It's still better than VeriChat. I can't get VeriChat to maintain its connections for more than a few hours without rebooting. It's even shorter when I actually dare chat with anyone. I really don't get why people go on so much about VeriChat.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:53 PM   #15
AL904

The WebMessenger server came back up earlier this afternoon. However, the downtime is making me nervous. I guess I'll see what happens over the next couple of weeks while my trial period is still running.

Old 04-01-2005, 04:37 PM   #16
Andicardwell

Model: 7130e
Default VeriChat works good for me

We have been using VeriChat at my company for about a month now and I love it. I don't seem to have any problems with lost messages or not getting notified of IMs. I find that I get my messages quickly and find responding very easy. I would definitely recommend VeriChat.

The only other IM solution we have tried is Berryvine Messenger which is for MSN only and found that to be not effective at all.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:18 PM   #17
wlee309
Thumbs Must Hurt

The new version of IM+ (2.1) is out today. My biggest turnoff from this proggie was the original inability to see who IM'ed you.

When perusing the IM+ user manual, there is a distinct photo that shows a number next to your buddies in the contact list which prompted me to email them about this. They replied today saying that this feature is available and is ready for DL.

I used WebMessenger and Verichat and much prefer IM+ for its reliability.

Verichat would consistently lose messages to/from my buddies. My boss and I would test IM';s from our desktop in real time and would conclude that about 80-95% of IM messages would succeed. It also logs you on and off quite often and does not do a good job updating your buddies' online status.

Webmessenger crashed my BB about 5 times the first day I started using it. And the server was down today. The interface is the best to me and I also love their features although their options menu can be better configured in terms of layout/use. WM is also the most feature rich app I have used to date. Just going into the settings menu would prove that. Plus, it has chat rooms (can be private) and card/chess games you can play with another member.

I'm rooting for IM+ (especially for their one time fee) and urge everyone to give it a try. I haven't had a single disconnection with them (they're single socket).....unfortunately I wish I can try the software longer. It's only a 5 day trial.

FYI, Nextel users should be hopeful since customer rep told me that they are working on a proprietary IM for BB users. sweet.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:36 PM   #18
AL904

In the new version of IM+ can you tell who the IM is from?

Old 04-01-2005, 06:09 PM   #19
wlee309
Thumbs Must Hurt

sorry if my post wasn't clear. version 2.1, as per the folks at IM+, has this feature. So yes, it does show who IM'ed you.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:50 PM   #20
mobilehavoc

Model: None
Carrier: Cingular

WARNING! I actually had WebMessenger now for over a year (I paid for it last January) and I have to say it was very painful and frustrating experience. They have HUGE stability issues since you as a user are 100% dependent on their servers.

I evaluated and bought Verichat recently...I'm loving it. I login everytime, all the time, chats are fast/responsive, UI is better, it's just a better app IMHO.

Again, WebMessenger is NOT for people who want to be able to use their chat client when THEY WANT rather than when the server feels like working!
Closed Thread