BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 07:33 AM   #1
elazarus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default 7100..I love the phone but the typing is the worst....

Please Login to Remove!

Is it me? I switched from the 7230 as the telephone was weak and the hearing on it was impossible....so I got the 7100.

The phone is excellent....but it takes me forever to do e-mails...I get 300 e-mails a day and both the suretype and the abc method is rediculous.

is there an answer.....is it only me?

Is there another model that I can use from T-mobile?

Thank you

Elliot
Old 04-05-2005, 07:47 AM   #2
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Like fine wine it's an acquired taste for some, such can be said for the 7100... You may have answered your own question, the 7100 is just that an excellent phone that does email. Myself I prefer the traditional keyboard but some like the new form of the 7100 and SureType. For others that receive a bulk of email on a day to day basis seem to find the 72XX/75XX and 77XX series of devices more practicle.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:46 AM   #3
harleyxlc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none

It does seem that most people who are unhappy with it have come from other bb models. My previous cell actually had a full qwerty keyboard (Motorola a630), but I don't have 300 email a day and actually like the qwerty/suretype combination
Old 04-05-2005, 08:59 AM   #4
Bratag
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T

Quote:
Originally Posted by elazarus
Is it me? I switched from the 7230 as the telephone was weak and the hearing on it was impossible....so I got the 7100.

The phone is excellent....but it takes me forever to do e-mails...I get 300 e-mails a day and both the suretype and the abc method is rediculous.

is there an answer.....is it only me?

Thank you

Elliot

The keyboard takes some getting used to try just looking at the keys instead of the screen - suretype is pretty good and those words you go back and correct will be remembered next time.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:30 AM   #5
bogey
Knows Where the Search Button Is

i have had a blackberry of some sort or another for 5 years of so now - have been through 4 or 5 difft models. Just got the 7100g last week and found it really took all of about 20 mins to get used to the typing. get prob 100 emails a day and send prob 40 or so. the advice given about not looking at what you are typing until you are done is the key. in all the typing i have done so far i have only had to go back and fix a handful of words
Old 04-05-2005, 12:27 PM   #6
Talldog
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by elazarus
T-Mobile now has the 7290.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:27 PM   #7
TRaymond

I agree with Bogey. I was a Sidekick customer with a full qwerty keyboard and i absolutely rocked with that keyboard. Purchased my 7100t about 5 days ago and am getting more and more confortable with it.

The Key IS to not look at what you type until you are done....took me the first 4 days to get used to that. All in all...the suretype does what I need it too (which is give me a qwerty-like keyboard that I can type fast on) while providing it in a form facter that doesn't feel like a PocketPC plastered to my face.

Just my $.02

----------
TRaymond
Old 04-05-2005, 01:12 PM   #8
zero1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

i think it is a very easy transition from sidekick 2 to the blackberry. because i dont know about any other sidekick 2 users but i used to type with one finger (thumb) all the time and did most tasks on it with one hand, and eventually came very adapted to the qwerty keyboard and now having it all on a device that can easliy fit in one hand with the same keyboard layout and predictive text input is awesome. I loved my sidekick but i was using way too many devices. I had my pocket pc in one holster and the sidekick 2 in another and that was just getting tedious. After the sidekick i had the hp pocket pc 6315 and that thing sucked cus for everything you needed a stylus and email integration was the worst. Now i have all my appts., contacts, tasks, notes, all in one small device in which i can input text at an ever increasing speed. As a fan of evolving mobile technology which is not only mainstream and user friendly but the functionality is only limited by the 32mb, i commend the device.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:28 PM   #9
garf12

But dont you have to look at what you are typing to correct it? Sometimes the word I want will not be there when I have completely typed it out, I have to pick the choices on the scroll wheel in the middle of typing the word.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:48 PM   #10
Bratag
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T

Quote:
Originally Posted by garf12
But dont you have to look at what you are typing to correct it? Sometimes the word I want will not be there when I have completely typed it out, I have to pick the choices on the scroll wheel in the middle of typing the word.
This is true - but the next time you use it it will pick it up and suretype it correctly. People tend to use the same words over and over so after a few days of slow correcting you should be all set.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:32 PM   #11
robhawley

I adapted to suretype pretty quickly from a Treo 600. Most of my e-mails are pretty short though.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:22 PM   #12
Lucky Luciano
Thumbs Must Hurt

I could never go back from the suretype. I pump out emails on this thing, and pretty much don't even have to look anymore. I find it to be much faster than my old 7280 because the keys were so small on that I'd end up hitting a bunch at a time.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:44 PM   #13
CINCNORAD
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Sprint

Quick newbie question:

Does the suretype learn bad habits after a while? It was working fine for the past few weeks... but suddenly it's typing out words that don't even exist. I don't look when I type either, but lately, when I review the sentence I just typed... there are many flubs.

ETA: Figured it out. It has auto-learning features and adds custom words to the lexicon... Apparently, it learned words I typed incorrectly in the past, and then used them when I would type. I just edited them out in the settings menu.

Last edited by CINCNORAD; 04-05-2005 at 06:43 PM..
Old 04-05-2005, 07:40 PM   #14
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

hahaha. fun stuff

i will say, contrary to someone above, the key is not to not look at it while your typing, but simply to be reluctant to correct yourself while you type until you get towards the end of the word.

and nothing against auto-learning, but this thing still won't seemingly learn my damn company's name... its not like i never type it in.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:36 PM   #15
CINCNORAD
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
hahaha. fun stuff

i will say, contrary to someone above, the key is not to not look at it while your typing, but simply to be reluctant to correct yourself while you type until you get towards the end of the word.

and nothing against auto-learning, but this thing still won't seemingly learn my damn company's name... its not like i never type it in.
Create an entry in your address book for the Company, with their name in it. SureType uses the names in there when guessing what you're typing.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:15 PM   #16
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

i work for the company. its in my address book about 10,000 times.

trust me, its probably something i did to the phone over the last few weeks... i just get rather amused when it suggests a 'v' over a 'c' in my company's name.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:22 PM   #17
emrys01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: at&t

um... Settings -> Options -> AutoText -> New

enter the usual misspelling and the correct spelling... that oughta fix you up, eh?
Old 04-05-2005, 09:59 PM   #18
GTNTP

Model: 7100t

Suretype is great to me. I agree with Jibi that y ou have to trust the software and then you can type very quickly.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:29 AM   #19
tankee531
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: xxxx
Carrier: Singtel

this suretype is not as smart as I would like it to be

I have some colleagues that have given up and decided to go back to their old BB devices. too many typo.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:33 AM   #20
manualmaxima

you think the 71 is hard, i have the nokia 3650 before this phone and i got high numbers e-mail's as well. It is a very difficult but i learned how to do it. Now that i moved on to the 7100 i am currently learning the new keyboard and i acually think it is a very good design. The only thing i do nto like is when you type a word and you have to choose it by rolling the wheel, it would of been much quicker is there was someway you could chage it on the key board
Closed Thread