Old 02-06-2007, 01:36 AM   #61
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Scarlet
I am English and proud of it. Born to these green and pleasant lands. I was debating the merits of DSP in Bluetooth Headsets and a new find, the evoQ from Qstik. It's the bees knees IMHO and this review is somewhat supportive of that opinion.

legitreviews.com/article/453/1/

"The EVOQ by no means fails in its ability to noise cancel however. With the EVOQxxx8217;s noise cancellation we were able to have a conversation under the most windy and noisy conditions. Most times, the party on the other end of the phone didnxxx8217;t even know what environment we were in. Any concerns we had about the volume level of the headset are tossed out the window when you use the stereo headset. Using the EVOQxxx8217;s stereo headset is a pure pleasure. The EVOQ constantly adapts and automatically adjusts to its surroundings to ensure great voice and sound quality throughout the conversation. One of the most dramatic examples came when I was traveling down the I-110 freeway talking on the phone with the stereo headsets (donxxx8217;t worry, I only had one ear bud in xxx8211; totally legal). I had the radio up quite loud and my party had no problem hearing me. I then rolled down the window traveling 65 miles per hour (again, legal) and the person I was talking to still didnxxx8217;t notice anything unusual and could hear me quite clearly! This is the most incredible performance we have seen from a consumer noise-cancelling headset".

Legit Bottom Line:

The Qstik EVOQ is hands down the best noise cancellation headset that we have used with our cellular phone. Whether you are using this set for VOIP, listening to stereo music with the enclosed headsets, or just using it with your cellular device, this set doesnxxx8217;t skip a beat and has worked flawlessly for us. We wish we could get a little more volume using the headset only, but if you plug in the stereo earbuds, all is good. The price tag may be a bit high at £59.99 (~$120), but in our opinion, it is well worth it.
Your constant shilling and spamming for this new headset are getting REALLY annoying!

It's one thing to be a user/enthusiast/geek like the rest of us. But your posts are nothing more than blatant adverts for the headset in question!

I'm confident that the mods will eventually realize this and take appropriate action.

Of course, if you were to act like a NORMAL member of this forum, and talk about a variety of topics, instead of being solely focused on pushing this headset THAT WE CAN'T EVEN GET IN THE STATES, at least not officially, then MAYBE we might accept you and welcome you as a member of our forum.

Your choice. Good day, "guv'nor"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggman
Yep and it works great. Noise cancelling is awesome.
Cool, that's 2 confirmations that I made a good choice!

I ordered a black one today, can't wait to get it! I just hope it fits my ear so I can enjoy the superior sound quality!

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(

Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 02-06-2007 at 01:44 AM..
Old 02-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #62
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

All that over 3 posts in greater than a month's time equates to "constant shilling and spamming"?

Tempest in a teapot.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:56 AM   #63
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbeat
All that over 3 posts in greater than a month's time equates to "constant shilling and spamming"?
Absolutely!

It's because those are the ONLY posts "Captain Scarlet" has made, and that headset is the subject of all of them. Every one of his posts is worded like an advert for the headset! But please, do NOT just take my word for it! Go ahead and click on his user name, then select "Find all posts by Captain Scarlet". You'll see what I mean.

Again, if he were posting like a NORMAL member of the forum, i.e. posting in a variety of threads to talk about a variety of topics related to BlackBerries, it wouldn't be an issue. But when the one & only topic he EVER talks about is that headset, and when all his posts praise it in the same way a manufacturer's advertisement praises the product, it just seems fishy.

Now, don't worry, I haven't been a complete jerk... I haven't reported any of his posts to the mods... yet.

But if his future posts continue to follow this trend, I wouldn't be surprised if the mods eventually noticed what was going on all on their own.

Now, keep in mind that I HAVE just given him a very good opportunity to prove me wrong. If he begins posting in a more normal fashion, branching out into other topics of discussion, and IF those posts aren't just more of the same, i.e. blatant advertising for some product, then I'll gladly admit that I was wrong!

I just don't think it's very likely that he'll prove me wrong, but that's just my opinion. I COULD be wrong... even though I'm probably not!

Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 02-06-2007 at 11:08 AM..
Old 02-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #64
Onenail

Model: 7250
Carrier: verizon

I have a question about the jawbone. I am brand new to the forum so go easy on me. I work in a noisy environment where eht noise is not constant, like a leaf blower, vacum, etc.. but it spikes then quiets and spikes again. I am looking to get the best headset to eliminate the background noise. I Like what I see in the Jawbone, but the demo's all appear to be with a constant background noise. I have also seen theboom demo's bu prefer to use a wireless headset. I currently have a Plantronics 510 that I use with my 7250 and I get compaints that the background is too loud. I want to make the most profesoinal sounding calls possible. Any help would be great. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2007, 11:19 AM   #65
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onenail
I have a question about the jawbone. I am brand new to the forum so go easy on me. I work in a noisy environment where eht noise is not constant, like a leaf blower, vacum, etc.. but it spikes then quiets and spikes again. I am looking to get the best headset to eliminate the background noise. I Like what I see in the Jawbone, but the demo's all appear to be with a constant background noise. I have also seen theboom demo's bu prefer to use a wireless headset. I currently have a Plantronics 510 that I use with my 7250 and I get compaints that the background is too loud. I want to make the most profesoinal sounding calls possible. Any help would be great. Thanks!
You raise a good, interesting point, one that is worth investigating. Once my Jawbone arrives, I'll have to try it out with noises like you describe and see how it handles them.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:31 AM   #66
hermdog
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin
Not yet, they are still awaiting FCC approval. I'd be interesting in seeing a comparison between the EVOQ and the Jawbone. IMO, the Jawbone sure looks better!
I agree. I looked at the EVOQ website and that thing looks like huge earing. I'm not sure I would look and feel comfortable with this even if the noise cancellation was better than the Jawbone.

Last edited by hermdog; 02-06-2007 at 11:53 AM..
Old 02-06-2007, 11:38 AM   #67
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

If this were a matter of "constant shilling and spamming", you wouldn't need to police this at all, as the Mods would've already seen to it.

Are these posters affiliated with the brand they are trumpeting? Maybe. Has their posting been obnoxious as compared to some occassional sponsors or new upstarts that have been shown to have multiple logins? Not exactly.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:51 AM   #68
hermdog

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onenail
I don't see this as an issue. I seem to remember reading somewhere, maybe the Jawbone site, that it has two mics one for the voice and one for the backround noice and that it was always listening to counter the backround noise. Now that being said I haven't had a oppurtunity to test it in a dynamic noise enviroment. I'm usually in a Server room where there is a constant humming of cpu fans.

I am very happy with the results of the Jawbone. It has allowed me to work hands free in noisy areas and still keep my hands on the keyboard.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:55 PM   #69
likefre
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

For those who have it, is it loud enough? Do you experience a lag when answering/hanging up calls? How is it compared to the Discovery 655 (blackberry branded version)? I am debating between these 2, need advice!
Old 02-06-2007, 10:06 PM   #70
drgoodtymes
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour
PIN: 30D4E281
Carrier: Sprint

I have had both the Jawbone and the Blackberry HS-855.

They both have great volume, no lag time when answering/ending callings.

The jawbone though, hands down has the noise reduction beat compared to the HS-655.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC5bVFduTRM
Old 02-06-2007, 11:00 PM   #71
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermdog
I don't see this as an issue. I seem to remember reading somewhere, maybe the Jawbone site, that it has two mics one for the voice and one for the backround noice and that it was always listening to counter the backround noise. Now that being said I haven't had a oppurtunity to test it in a dynamic noise enviroment. I'm usually in a Server room where there is a constant humming of cpu fans.
Well, if you want to know about the number of mics, and how that ties into the noise cancellation, here's some info straight from the horse's mouth... this was posted on Howard Forums by the Chief Scientist at Aliph, the man that designed the technology in this headset!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gburnett
I wouldn't say we use "only" DSP. We have three mics, one used to detect the speech in your cheek and two used to sample the speech and the noise environment. This is different from anyone else out there and is the reason we have such good noise suppression performance. Every headset uses DSP to do even the simplest tasks - but almost all of them use a single mic and do single channel processing. This kind of processing invariably distorts the desired speech, which we take great pains to preserve.

It's far from "only" DSP!

Bone conduction technology does not use the jawbone - it uses an accelerometer or modified microphone in the ear and uses the bones of the head and ear to detect speech. There's nothing out there that attaches to the jawbone to detect speech. I don't know why "jawbone" has come to represent bone conduction technology.

Greg Burnett
Chief Scientist
Aliph
At the end there, he was also explaining the difference between the Jawbone® headset's technology and bone conduction technology (which was planned for use in the now-cancelled Motorola H5 "Mini-Blue" headset. Due to Moto's inability to get the technology working satisfactorily, the headset was redesigned to use a conventional mic and has now been redubbed the H9). The person he was replying to was VERY hardheaded, and insisted on using the term "real jawbone technology" in reference to bone conduction technology. What can I say? The guy in question was more than a little bit "dee dee dee!"

Old 02-06-2007, 11:36 PM   #72
Baggman
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: 7-10 split
Carrier: AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by forevergreen
I purchased the jawbone a few days ago. ... I don't like the little rubber cover for the charging contacts, it falls off frequently. ...

I e-mailed Jawbone / Aliph about getting another charger (they'll have accessories on the web site soon), and I mentioned getting extras of the rubber cover (I called it a 'plug') and here's what they told me:
Quote:
The rubber "plug" is only used when the headset is placed on its stand for shipment. It is designed to be flimsy and is actually being removed from all future shipments.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:13 PM   #73
hermdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance
Well, if you want to know about the number of mics, and how that ties into the noise cancellation, here's some info straight from the horse's mouth... this was posted on Howard Forums by the Chief Scientist at Aliph, the man that designed the technology in this headset! At the end there, he was also explaining the difference between the Jawbone® headset's technology and bone conduction technology (which was planned for use in the now-cancelled Motorola H5 "Mini-Blue" headset. Due to Moto's inability to get the technology working satisfactorily, the headset was redesigned to use a conventional mic and has now been redubbed the H9). The person he was replying to was VERY hardheaded, and insisted on using the term "real jawbone technology" in reference to bone conduction technology. What can I say? The guy in question was more than a little bit "dee dee dee!"
Sweet nice find!
Old 02-07-2007, 09:39 PM   #74
CurbMonkey

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

I noticed in the demo that you have to turn the noise cancelling feature "on". If you leave this on all the time, does the battery life suffer?

Also, this may be a stupid question, but since it is a Cingular Exclusive, does that mean that it works only on Cingular BB's?
Old 02-07-2007, 10:03 PM   #75
claykin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMobile

I've had the Jawbone for about 2 weeks. So far I'm happy with the headset but.......the original rubber earbud that came on the headset fell apart (the rubber separated from the plastic backing). My attempts to get help from Aliph via email have resulted in no reply. So I'm not as pleased as I should be. I just sent my request again for the second time.

Lets see if they care about their customers....
Old 02-07-2007, 10:05 PM   #76
claykin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TMobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbMonkey
I noticed in the demo that you have to turn the noise cancelling feature "on". If you leave this on all the time, does the battery life suffer?

Also, this may be a stupid question, but since it is a Cingular Exclusive, does that mean that it works only on Cingular BB's?

haven't tested long term with the noise canceling turned off. With it on, batt life is fairly good, but not quite the 6 hours talk and 120 hours standby that Aliph touts. its probably about 1/2 of that, but still better than many other BT headsets.

The Jawbone will work with ANY BT phone. Does not have to be Cingular!!!
Old 02-08-2007, 10:47 AM   #77
CurbMonkey

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-09-2007, 08:29 AM   #78
Captain Scarlet

Model: 7100T
Default Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance
Absolutely!

It's because those are the ONLY posts "Captain Scarlet" has made, and that headset is the subject of all of them. Every one of his posts is worded like an advert for the headset! But please, do NOT just take my word for it! Go ahead and click on his user name, then select "Find all posts by Captain Scarlet". You'll see what I mean.

Again, if he were posting like a NORMAL member of the forum, i.e. posting in a variety of threads to talk about a variety of topics related to BlackBerries, it wouldn't be an issue. But when the one & only topic he EVER talks about is that headset, and when all his posts praise it in the same way a manufacturer's advertisement praises the product, it just seems fishy.

Now, don't worry, I haven't been a complete jerk... I haven't reported any of his posts to the mods... yet.

But if his future posts continue to follow this trend, I wouldn't be surprised if the mods eventually noticed what was going on all on their own.

Now, keep in mind that I HAVE just given him a very good opportunity to prove me wrong. If he begins posting in a more normal fashion, branching out into other topics of discussion, and IF those posts aren't just more of the same, i.e. blatant advertising for some product, then I'll gladly admit that I was wrong!

I just don't think it's very likely that he'll prove me wrong, but that's just my opinion. I COULD be wrong... even though I'm probably not!
JTC.

What will be interesting is the Broadcom and CSR battle in the BT market. The partnering with non-proprietory technology developers allowing BT consumer products to deliver high quality. The introduction of the Jawbone from Aliph, Gennums offerings, Parrott, Nextlink(one to try IMHO), Bluetrek and many others are raising the bar and will only serve to improve the products available and reduce cost to the consumer. The dominant players in the market will have to respond. JTC, the consumer market is now demanding high audio quality at low cost in numerous applications. I hope we can continue to discuss the relevance of the frontrunners in DSP offerings and their undoubted influence on the gadgets of the future. Forgive me for my exuberance when I actually find one that works
Old 02-13-2007, 07:52 PM   #79
tHEmaCHInE

Carrier: ATT

Yeah I picked up the black one and its awesome!
Old 02-15-2007, 11:49 AM   #80
CurbMonkey

I went to my local Cingular store and they dont have any! They said there was a manufacturing problem with the first batch so they sent them back and are waiting for them to arrive, any day. I then called two other Cingular stores, same story. They aren't in our area yet! Jawbone is currently sold out, except for the red, too! I don't know if I can wait any longer! AHHHHHHHHH
Closed Thread