BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 10:27 AM   #1
gadgetman
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Default No camera - big mistake!!!

Please Login to Remove!

I have had a Windows Smartphone for a year. I have never had a problem entering any building with a Windows Mobile phone with a camera. I enter official buildings and industrial facilities frequently. I think RIM has made a mistake. The 8800 would have much larger sales with camera. They could have done an alternative cameraless version.

The camera is extremely useful. Now my main phone is a Blackjack and it's great. Camera, video, streaming radio and TV, 3g, and with the extended 1800mAh battery, no issues whatsoever.

Last edited by gadgetman; 02-12-2007 at 10:30 AM..
Old 02-12-2007, 10:44 AM   #2
r0guenj
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: 305505FA
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Have you actually shown your camera phone to security when entering?

I bet that the official policy is no cameras. No camera is going to be a boon not a hindrance.

Personally, I don't care if my phone has a camera. I have a nice canon sd550 in my laptop bag if I need a quick picture.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:50 AM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Big customers don't want a camera. That's who RIM is listening to.
They listen to the carriers and the large customers.

Did you read the Press release - they build what the big customers want.

We have a major installation that refuses to buy Pearls because of the cameras.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:54 AM   #4
Hobbesgsr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Any company running BES can simply disable the camera with security policies for either everyone or specific groups.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:01 AM   #5
junior1790
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbesgsr
Any company running BES can simply disable the camera with security policies for either everyone or specific groups.
True but this doesn't mean you will be able to tote your bb with camera into secure sites. who is to say whether YOUR or MY IT dept has disabled the camera, and who has time to check and concur thats it's disabled...
Old 02-12-2007, 11:03 AM   #6
ndirish2001
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbesgsr
That is a non-solution. It does nothing for the problem of third-party visitors to secure buildings.

Frankly, I'm delighted to see that the first version of the 8800 lacks a camera. It just confirms that RIM, while determined to make inroads in the consumer market, is not making the mistake of ignoring its base: business customers.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:03 AM   #7
gadgetman

Default Asked once

In answer to your question, I have never been asked about a camera. It has just never come up. However, I don't work for a big organization and perhaps it's those people who have an issue with cameras inside their organizations on a daily basis. But so what? Just do a cameraless version as an alternative. But it seems to me that RIM is losing a big segment of the market by not including a camera.

I had the 8700c for a year with a Windows Smartphone (Cingular 2125) as a backup. I loved the 8700c but the lack of a camera was a killer. I use the camera on my new Blackjack a lot and email the pictures. Also the video is great and I can MMS the videos.

Windows Mobile is a hot seller in the corporate market. How come there is no camera issue there?
Old 02-12-2007, 11:10 AM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Because Windows Mobile does not have a large Enterprise following. It is individuals bringing it in. Nothing on WM even comes close to rivaling BES - and again, RIM is listening to its customers.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:26 AM   #9
BB8100
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

All the above notwithstanding, RIM is making an 8800 with and without a camera so what is the issue? Am I missing something??
Old 02-12-2007, 11:27 AM   #10
Treominator
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

I am not sure what you mean by cameraless version being the only choice.
As has already been discussed (in length) there WILL be a camera version on one carrier or the other (or unlocked) within a matter of months.

They just happened to have released the one without the camera before the other one.

Looks like you are mad that you might need to wait for the other model (and so am I)

Patience Grasshoppa.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:32 AM   #11
[IFC]Area51

Model: 9650
PIN: GU!!!
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Because Windows Mobile does not have a large Enterprise following. It is individuals bringing it in. Nothing on WM even comes close to rivaling BES - and again, RIM is listening to its customers.
I agree that RIM is listening to their customers. Me, in the other hand, im a first time blackberry user. The pearl to me was a bone on a string, hehe. The size, the camera and the idea of me owning a blackberry that didnt really look to much as a business phone got me to switching from regular cellphones, hehe.

I find blackberrys to be mini laptops. Before i owned one, i had to go home to print map directions from my PC but now it's a totally different ball game and sure makes my life easier.

My point to all this is: Everytime i heard RIM or BlackBerry, i always thought corporate, business and all that.

The pearl was a device to basically pull more people in for different aspects like me. I dont really need BES, im just fine using BIS plus the camera to me is great. Like i said, " a bone with a string ".

I cant wait for the CRIMSON release.

P.S. Imagine all these business men going into high security building with a pearl or a camera phone period? There not in business to take a quick snap shot of a nice flower right outside the complex but more to stay in touch with important meetings and track their business/customers.

P.S. Thats why they release different products in different times of the year, if this release is not for you then dont stress it, they might accomodate the next batch of customers request or simply do a camera or whatever upgrade to the same design...i.e, The "Crimson", which im holding out for as the 8800 doesnt suit my taste at the moment, life can be so much easier if we dont critizise what is not our taste.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by [IFC]Area51; 02-12-2007 at 11:37 AM..
Old 02-12-2007, 12:38 PM   #12
estrov

Model: 8700C
Carrier: cingular

I visit military subcontractors and cameras are a no-no. Security screeners confiscate and hold phones with cameras until you leave. Having a BB with no camera allows me to carry the device into the building and have access to email while I work.

For my particular case a camera is actually a problem, so I appreciate RIM selling a device with no camera.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:56 PM   #13
gadgetman

I imagined that people in high security jobs would have the issue, but how big a percentage of the market is that compared to the rest of us?

I read that the camera version will not be available until Q4. Is that correct?
Old 02-12-2007, 01:38 PM   #14
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

Rims major income comes from those very high security jobs. They listened to there core customers first. "You have to dance with who you brought to the party."

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 02-12-2007, 07:19 PM   #15
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Given time there will be a camera version for all the carriers. The non-camera version is just going to be first to take care of the corp people first. I do not need a camera.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:26 PM   #16
YMark

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I don't get the uproar about not having a camera. I've yet to see a camera on a cell phone that was worth a crap anyway. A camera on a phone is a gimick that serves very little purpose. If a picture is worth taking, carry a pocket size digital camera.

On a side note, I laughed out loud when I saw bozos at the CES taking pictures of high definition TVs and blue ray DVDs with their cell phones. I can see them now showing them to their buddies. "Hey check out the picture of this blue ray DVD."
Old 02-12-2007, 08:23 PM   #17
writergal
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Rogers

If you want a camera, get the Pearl.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:36 PM   #18
mjbanks

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMark
I don't get the uproar about not having a camera. I've yet to see a camera on a cell phone that was worth a crap anyway. A camera on a phone is a gimick that serves very little purpose. If a picture is worth taking, carry a pocket size digital camera.

On a side note, I laughed out loud when I saw bozos at the CES taking pictures of high definition TVs and blue ray DVDs with their cell phones. I can see them now showing them to their buddies. "Hey check out the picture of this blue ray DVD."
I agree! I have an 8703e with Verizon (switched from a Moto Q) and I don't miss the camera one bit. The only thing I miss about my 8703e is MMS, which is why I'm hoping for an 8800 to come out for Verizon. Not sure what I think about no scroll wheel though, I will have to play with an 8800 to get a better idea.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:08 AM   #19
[IFC]Area51

Model: 9650
PIN: GU!!!
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMark
I've yet to see a camera on a cell phone that was worth a crap anyway.
I'll have to disagree with you on this one. I used to own and will buy again when i get the chance the " SonyEricsson K800i ". 3.2MP with xenon flash " very close to a real flash. You should check out the newer version coming out soon the " SonyEricsson K810i ". Best camera phone i ever owned.

P.S. Dont forget the Sharp Phones, i also used to own the Sharp TM200, awesome camera " CCD lenses ". Im happy with the pearl camera now for those quick snap shots.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:13 PM   #20
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Had trouble loading the film into the phone with a camera so I changed to a Blackberry without one.
Closed Thread