Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 04:03 AM   #1
wangta01
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T
Default Camera'd 8800 Release Date?

Please Login to Remove!

Anybody know when the 8800 with the camera will be released?

My 8700 just broke and I'm interested in the 8800, but would like the camera as well if possible. If its not going to be released for another year, guess I'll just bite the bullet and go for the 8800 on the 21st, but if its right around the corner....I could wait...

Thanks guys - I searched this the 8800 forum and didn't find any mention of a release date (if anyone is aware of such).

I feel so out of touch without my Blackberry - going through withdrawal.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:10 AM   #2
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

You search should have found that no one REALLY knows when the camera version is going to be delivered. Common rumors say soon but that will be a few months to allow the 8800 to sell first. I do not think that RIM will announce the intro of the camera model for Cingular until the 8800 is sold. I do not think it will be a year likely less than 6 months and as short as two-three months.

That is my opinion only

Last edited by greggebhardt; 02-16-2007 at 08:47 AM..
Old 02-16-2007, 08:05 AM   #3
FLIPP_96
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

Most common rumors place the release somewhere between April and July. It looks like TMO will be the first to get it, rumors say.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:14 AM   #4
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Old 02-16-2007, 09:06 AM   #5
stac

Model: 8110
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPP_96
Most common rumors place the release somewhere between April and July. It looks like TMO will be the first to get it, rumors say.
I wonder how much this has changed with the competition due to be released in June...

'This one goes to eleven...'
Old 02-16-2007, 09:09 AM   #6
nike30
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile

I'd bet the farm Crimson comes out right before Apple's piece of crapola. I don't see Crimson coming out much much earlier than the i-p
Desktop Manager 4.5
PIN 205CC25C
Old 02-16-2007, 10:03 AM   #7
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike30
I'd bet the farm Crimson comes out right before Apple's piece of crapola. I don't see Crimson coming out much much earlier than the i-p
That would hurt the iPhone for sure. I do not understand why people are so obcessed with the iPhone. As I tool for what I need the Blackberry is the only way to go. I can not imagine typing on a "pretend" touchscreen keyboard!
Old 02-16-2007, 10:36 AM   #8
wangta01

Thanks for the replies guys - man, I would have to wait til June!? Aish!

Thinking I might have to get a used 8700 or something to tide me over until the 8800 Camera version comes out.

Is it me or does the Crimson look to be a bit longer than the Indigo?
Old 02-16-2007, 11:03 AM   #9
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt
I do not understand why people are so obcessed with the iPhone.
The only obcession on these forums has originated from the negative knee-jerk replies. You didn't see anyone here trumpeting, lauding, heralding, ad nauseum its arrival as the technological savior of the world, now did you? All that negativity offers a glimpse into defensiveness based in what? That's the real question if you really want answers.

If it were being genuinely perceived as nothing but a toy or novel gizmo that has no staying power or ability to deliver the goods, it would scarcely warrant a mention on a Blackberry forum.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:11 AM   #10
mmcpher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
PIN: 22CD4D6E
Carrier: ATT/Verizon
Default Berry vs. Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt
That would hurt the iPhone for sure. I do not understand why people are so obcessed with the iPhone. As I tool for what I need the Blackberry is the only way to go. I can not imagine typing on a "pretend" touchscreen keyboard!
I'm with you about the phantom keyboard! But I confess to being a watcher of Apple marketing, and its interesting to me to contrast Apple's smug experience in competing with MS, with their prospects of success against RIM. Apple self-defined success against MS as capturing a tiny market share, apparently comprised of the most self-absorbed and the most self-pleased.

The enthusiasm shown here and elsewhere for the 8800, which is fairly characterized as an incremental advance, should give the Apple polishers pause. Blackberry customers, IMHO, are more loyal and more committed to their devices than are MS consumers of software.

However, with RIM's recent initiatives into the non-business market, with the Pearl and the impending Crimson, the battle will be joined when the I-Phone is actually launched, and Apple is better at the high-profile marketing game. My guess is that the market will greatly expand as a result of Apple's efforts, and if their build quality is not up to snuff, and if their arrogance and avarice gets the better of their common sense on 3rd Party issues, at the end of the day, RIM might wind up picking up dissatisfied I-Phone customers once the blush is off the Apple bloom.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:21 AM   #11
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcpher

'[iPhone] phantom keyboard'

'Apple's smug experience'

'self-absorbed and the most self-pleased.'

'Apple polishers'

'[Apple's] arrogance and avarice'

'once the blush is off the Apple bloom.'
See what I mean, greggebhardt

Wasn't this thread (and this particular forum) about the 8800?

Last edited by backbeat; 02-16-2007 at 11:24 AM..
Old 02-16-2007, 11:24 AM   #12
wangta01

Apple's phantom keyboard kills it for me - i need great email/text functionality. Plus, it looks so delicate. Afraid I'd drop it and it would shatter.

Crimson looks dope!!!!!
Old 02-16-2007, 12:02 PM   #13
Dark Knight
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

I'm holding off to upgrade from my Pearl to the 8800 when a camera version is released. While I like the Pearl I do prefer using a full keyboard but also want features like the camera and flash found on the Pearl. My hope is that RIM doesn't wait to long to release one and also considers adding video (with audio) recording as part of the camera functionality.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:17 PM   #14
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangta01
Is it me or does the Crimson look to be a bit longer than the Indigo?
It's a Powerpoint slide and not a side-by-side photo so it's pointless to use it for comparison. It's so easy to alter, resize, and readjust the proportions (even unintentionally) of a digital photo that you can't use two separate photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbeat
You didn't see anyone here trumpeting, lauding, heralding, ad nauseum its arrival as the technological savior of the world, now did you?
Really?? Have we been reading the same forum(s)? There are obviously tons of people lauding it as a Blackberry killer and many other things after drinking deeply from Jobs's Kool Aid... There's definitely plenty of hype and obsession over the iPhone here and on other discussion sites. As a matter of fact, I jst came here from a thread asking why people aren't looking to buy the iPhone instead of the 8800 (which clearly overlooks the gap between the two devices).

Quote:
The only obcession on these forums has originated from the negative knee-jerk replies.
It's easy to dismiss scepticism over mass hype as "knee jerk replies". Plenty of us have tried many many devices and we've based our decision on the Blackberry based on our experience. I've never state that the Blackberry is the end-all-be-all but you obviously have your own prejudices to come to terms with.

Quote:
If it were being genuinely perceived as nothing but a toy or novel gizmo that has no staying power or ability to deliver the goods, it would scarcely warrant a mention on a Blackberry forum.
It's a first-gen device being pushed by the Apple marketing machine. Whether or not it has staying power will be based on real-world use and performance which is what I always go by.

Last edited by takeshi; 02-16-2007 at 02:31 PM..
Old 02-16-2007, 02:23 PM   #15
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Keep tryin', kid.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:28 PM   #16
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310

Thanks , but I have better things to do than waste my time with trolls. Good day!
Old 02-16-2007, 02:31 PM   #17
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
Sorry, I don't need to bother with trolls. Good day!
The subject is "Camera'd 8800 Release Date?"

Troll-on, kid.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:44 PM   #18
wangta01

Maaaaaaan - its hard to fight the urge not to buy the new 8800 (without the camera)! Can I wait until the Camera'd version comes out!?

Who else is with me - and is trying not to buy this one!? Need some help from my peers!
Old 02-17-2007, 08:17 PM   #19
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangta01
Maaaaaaan - its hard to fight the urge not to buy the new 8800 (without the camera)! Can I wait until the Camera'd version comes out!?

Who else is with me - and is trying not to buy this one!? Need some help from my peers!
Sorry bud, none of your peers here. I'm getting the 8800 as soon as it hits the local stores, and upgrading to the 9xxx when it hits the Christmas shelves. I can wait for my camera. I can't wait for the 8800 series now that it's here.
Closed Thread