BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 06:37 PM   #1
hailer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: at&t
Default The 8800c with GPS or Google Maps?

Please Login to Remove!

Just wondering how many who are going to go out and purchase the 8800 when it comes out Feb 21 will also pay the extra $9.95 a month for GPS tracking with Cingular? I think that is going to be the monthly charge.

Or are you just going to continue to use Google Maps which is free?
Old 02-15-2007, 06:38 PM   #2
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

I am waiting for the T-Mo version and IF it offers the GPS I will pass as I have in dash gps in my Envoy....
Old 02-15-2007, 06:41 PM   #3
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailer
Just wondering how many who are going to go out and purchase the 8800 when it comes out Feb 21 will also pay the extra $9.95 a month for GPS tracking with Cingular? I think that is going to be the monthly charge.

Or are you just going to continue to use Google Maps which is free?
I vote for 3rd-Party GPS maps support without the contractual obligation b/s.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
mzini
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

I think it all depends on how much you use GPS. Because of my business, I depend on GPS and use it frequently. So for me, the $9.95 a month will be well worth it (I plan on selling my current Garmin unit).

I will be picking this bad boy up on Wednesday and will most likely be hoping on to the GPS plan. Is the GPS plan going to be something that I have to setup with Cingular when I buy the phone?
Old 02-15-2007, 09:43 PM   #5
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Stinsonddog's Blackberry GPS Tips
Old 02-15-2007, 10:22 PM   #6
Fungineer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

The additional $10/mo is only for the turn-by-turn voice directions and (unlimited?) point-of-interest lookups. You can still use BBMaps or GoogleMaps for free (or well, for the cost of data usage).
Old 02-16-2007, 12:17 PM   #7
tcpetersesq

Carrier: Cingular
Default "Free" GPS on the 8800 with Cingy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungineer
The additional $10/mo is only for the turn-by-turn voice directions and (unlimited?) point-of-interest lookups. You can still use BBMaps or GoogleMaps for free (or well, for the cost of data usage).
Do we know this to be the case? I use BB Maps all the time (for free) on my Pearl, using an external GPS. I'd love to get the 8800 with the GPS built in, but not is using it necessarily ties me to a monthly charge through Cingular. Do we know for sure that the GPS can be used for "free" (understand there will be data charges of course) when using BB Maps? If so, I can forego the turn-by-turn instructions.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:32 PM   #8
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpetersesq
Do we know this to be the case? I use BB Maps all the time (for free) on my Pearl, using an external GPS. I'd love to get the 8800 with the GPS built in, but not is using it necessarily ties me to a monthly charge through Cingular. Do we know for sure that the GPS can be used for "free" (understand there will be data charges of course) when using BB Maps? If so, I can forego the turn-by-turn instructions.
Yes BBMaps will be data only and see my thread and updated tips page on the improvements in the 8800 version of BBMaps.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:51 PM   #9
tcpetersesq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Yes BBMaps will be data only and see my thread and updated tips page on the improvements in the 8800 version of BBMaps.
Thanks very much.

I'm presently torn as to whether to move to the 8800. The GPS is a strong selling point for the 8800 (as is the full keyboard, longer-life battery and better speaker). I also like losing the camera (I prefer not to have one.)

Aside from these differences, is there any other burning reason to move to the 8800 from the Pearl? It seems it's all a matter of personal choice... I'm just hoping I'm not missing something, and so I will appreciate any feeback anyone cares to offer. (My apologies in advance if this inquiry is better posted to another board - I'm new here. )
Old 02-16-2007, 02:20 PM   #10
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Thanks very much.

I'm presently torn as to whether to move to the 8800. The GPS is a strong selling point for the 8800 (as is the full keyboard, longer-life battery and better speaker). I also like losing the camera (I prefer not to have one.)

Aside from these differences, is there any other burning reason to move to the 8800 from the Pearl? It seems it's all a matter of personal choice... I'm just hoping I'm not missing something, and so I will appreciate any feeback anyone cares to offer. (My apologies in advance if this inquiry is better posted to another board - I'm new here. )

YES A HUGE ONE - HOME SCREEN SHORTCUTS MAKE YOUR LIFE A LOT EASIER TO GET TO APPLICATIONS
Old 02-16-2007, 03:06 PM   #11
tcpetersesq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
YES A HUGE ONE - HOME SCREEN SHORTCUTS MAKE YOUR LIFE A LOT EASIER TO GET TO APPLICATIONS
I'm a prior 8700 user (before the Pearl) - but never did much with shortcuts. I've looked at your tips - impressive - so is that to say that the shortcuts are better on the 8800 than on the pearl?
Old 02-16-2007, 03:31 PM   #12
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Quote:
I'm a prior 8700 user (before the Pearl) - but never did much with shortcuts. I've looked at your tips - impressive - so is that to say that the shortcuts are better on the 8800 than on the pearl?
Yes and Yes and Yes, as they don't exist on Suretype devices. No home screen shortcuts and no refresh browswer key.
Closed Thread