BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 02:06 PM   #81
jpennngton53

Model: 8100

Please Login to Remove!

I would be interested in the back cover for more speaker sound.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:14 PM   #82
duce95
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmo

ill take one without camera opening. never know when that might come in handy.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:31 AM   #83
sanjeevjoshi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

I will buy the one with camera cover, since I have already pried out the camera. Please keep us posted on when that will be available - I know two other guys who are also interested.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:29 AM   #84
stockfire
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-Mobile

door with out camera cover please!
Old 02-17-2007, 11:37 AM   #85
blackninja

Model: 8700G
Carrier: Tmo

I've never been too pleased I had to drill 2 small holes in my cover where the silver is so the sound wasn't so muffled.

one without camera cover. definitely interested.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:32 AM   #86
supurcman

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

I would kill for a back with speaker holes and WITH a camera opening. Again, dont buy a camera phone if you dont want a camera. It's called the 8700 series.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:41 AM   #87
ryanporschen

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder81
You can disable the camera with BES policy in 4.1 SP2.
Security for your company, or any company you visit, is NOT going to know what BES is. And, they certainly wouldnt be able to verify your BES policy.

However, I would totally let my users choose the 8100 if they wanted knowing that I could prevent them from using it on my site if warranted.

I have disabled it on my pearl as a test, it's quite effective.

- Ryan
Old 02-18-2007, 12:55 PM   #88
LPeeples

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by supurcman
I would kill for a back with speaker holes and WITH a camera opening. Again, dont buy a camera phone if you dont want a camera. It's called the 8700 series.
Thats an ignorant comment. Some people don't have a choice and have the Pearl given to them by their company. Those same people sometimes visit companies that don't allow cameras, so a cover that covers the camera allows the Pearl to be used for calls and emails during visits.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:18 PM   #89
pcdebb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
Carrier: Sprint

will it only be in black, or will there be one for the white pearl?
Old 02-18-2007, 01:32 PM   #90
mdonders
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700g
PIN: 23DD311D

But it still looks as if it has a camera and most non-Blackberry users don't know about BES and its policies.

Click here for Free Money! - Yea its free.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:57 PM   #91
Jifffer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

Regarding the ignorant comment .... plant visits never last more than 1 hour - I've been on tons of them - most of them are also in fairly loud or somewhat hostile environments where you couldn't or wouldn't want to use your phone. If you can't be away from your phone for les than 1 hour - maybe you shouldn't be on plant tours / visits. Trust me - emails and voice mail will still be there upon your return. Leave your unit with security and retrieve it upon the visit - actually shows some respect to your visitors !! This should not prevent Seisido from manufacturing a back cover with or without openings - consumers will decide what they want.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:14 PM   #92
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Exclamation Don't Be Ignorant About This

Oops... double post. See above and sorry...

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 02-18-2007 at 02:49 PM..
Old 02-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #93
SanFrancisco

Exclamation Don't Be Ignorant About This

Again, having experience with secure areas and mere possession of a cell phone with camera in such places, I think it is "ignorant" to take actions to conceal the camera and try to sneak through secure areas with it. Specifically:

1. As you know, the Pearl's camera will still work without the battery cover on it. This fact is easily discovered by law enforcement or security personnel.

2. In some jurisdictions, there are signs posted that warn it is a crime to merely possess cell phones with cameras in secure areas. E.g., Some federal courthouses prohibit them. The U.S. Marshals ask if you have one, and if you do, they simply take it from you and give it back when you leave. You sure you want to try to fool armed U.S. Marshals with a Seidio battery cover that conceals the camera?

3. There are many reasons companies and government buildings do not allow cameras. Yours is not to question the propriety or reasonableness of such policies, lie to circumvent or deceive security authorities, but instead you should respect a company's wishes, and as to government buildings, simply obey the law.

Bonus Warning: Some places have signs warning that cameras are not allowed. I won't go into them all here. But note many such signs say it is a felony or misdemeanor to take simply take a camera into the area, [meaning you do NOT have to use the camera to get busted].

4. IMHO just for one's convenience it is NOT worth the risk to try and sneak a camera phone by covering the lens, such as with the Pearl battery cover. I am sure YOU are well meaning, smarter than those who don't want cameras in their space, and you do not have criminal intent. But police officers, sheriffs, marshals and security details who check your stuff and enforce the rules don't know squat about YOU. As far as they are concerned you are a suspect who tried to sneak in a cell phone camera [in regards to law enforcement catching you, even a dolt will be able to pull the Pearl cover off and see it has a camera].

5. Although YOU A) know better than everyone else; B) firmly believe that it is your "constitutional right" to carry a cell phone; C) have determined that rules prohibiting cell phone cameras are unreasonable [except for others, who may have bad intentions]; and D) know YOU won't get caught: see my post discussing the scenarios where you could get busted, jailed or fired for merely possessing a "concealed" camera phone.

6. If I was Seidio I would not even make this product because as soon as YOU rat out to investigators that Seidio made the cover [foolishly thinking that might get you off the hook], I'd go after them too.

The simplest test is to ask yourself this, if there are signs posted or questions asked by law enforcement that relate to the prohibition of taking cell phones with cameras into "their space," then don't do it. Be aware that getting guard duty is the worst in terms of law enforcement assignments. It's very boring work. You can bet that your attempt to hide a camera will be made into a big deal since things are normally ho hum in terms of daily action at the check in and scanner stations. They will slap you against the wall and place you in a holding cell for at least a few hours.

I can guarantee you that no one will believe your statements of innocent intentions. That's what everyone says when caught, the same as when people get caught speeding [everyone has "that emergency" they were speeding off to] or when caught drunk driving [everyone has "only had two beers].

Everyone who gets caught with a camera phone has statements of honorable intentions, e.g., they simply did not want to lose use of the phone, etc., but like I said, in many jurisdictions merely possessing the phone with a camera is a crime. Add to that that you took steps to conceal it.... oye vey... are you gonna be in the sewers of Paris.

To me trying to get by a "no cameras allowed" policy is the same as trying to take in concealed weapons into a secure area. I can assure that if you get caught [and there are many ways to get caught], law enforcement or security will treat your actions just as serious.

In any event, I am sure YOU are the exception to any of the above, YOU know better than the U.S. Marshals or "the company with that silly and inconvenient no camera policy," so go for it. But be sure to share your "I got busted" experience with us [when you get out of jail].

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 02-18-2007 at 05:37 PM..
Old 02-18-2007, 05:39 PM   #94
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jifffer
Regarding the ignorant comment .... plant visits never last more than 1 hour - I've been on tons of them - most of them are also in fairly loud or somewhat hostile environments where you couldn't or wouldn't want to use your phone. If you can't be away from your phone for les than 1 hour - maybe you shouldn't be on plant tours / visits. Trust me - emails and voice mail will still be there upon your return. Leave your unit with security and retrieve it upon the visit - actually shows some respect to your visitors !! This should not prevent Seisido from manufacturing a back cover with or without openings - consumers will decide what they want.
Obviously I give your post a big .
Old 02-18-2007, 05:51 PM   #95
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPeeples
Thats an ignorant comment. Some people don't have a choice and have the Pearl given to them by their company. Those same people sometimes visit companies that don't allow cameras, so a cover that covers the camera allows the Pearl to be used for calls and emails during visits.
Just out of curiosity, do you know of any companies that give employees the Pearl and say it is OK for the employee to conceal the camera so to gain access to buildings that prohibit cell phone cameras? Or for that matter, are you aware of any companies that simply look the other way to such practices?

I'd like to know if there are any companies that ignorant. I can't imagine someone handing out the Pearl and following that up with instructions on how to hide the camera so to get by security.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:33 PM   #96
WhatsamattaU

I'd like one with the camera and speaker holes. Will you be making a version for the white Pearl? I'm looking for a very thin rubber skin in white or translucent white. No sense putting a black sleeve on that purdy pearly finish.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:02 PM   #97
hemidoc

Carrier: tmobile
Default Hey seidioseidio....

Hey Seidioseidio...

LOVE your smartphone accessories - had them for my Treo 700W and now for my Pearl. I bought the Pearl rubberized cover and accompanying holster from you and love it. However, I want to purchase the extended battery/door from you as well. Just to clarify, when will Seidio be coming out with either 1) an 'extended battery compatible' rubberized case (or even just caseback), or 2) a rubberized skin compatible with the extended battery. Thanks so much!
Old 02-19-2007, 02:58 AM   #98
duce95
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmo

bring that back with the camera cover. its perfect
Old 02-19-2007, 05:13 PM   #99
inscript

Carrier: Rogers

yes please... new cover!! woot!!
Old 02-19-2007, 09:04 PM   #100
sanjeevjoshi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular
Default I vote for camera cover and speaker holes

I do follow the camera phone rules strictly, so I pried out the camera in a few seconds. Now I need a cover to keep up the look and keep out the dust. Current workaround is a little black PVC glued in, with black electrical tape for cover.
Closed Thread