BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 01:48 PM   #21
rkkeller
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Please Login to Remove!

I do find OM3 a little faster but my dislike for the full size text entry screens that pop up instead of being able to just type in the field about evens the score for me. I also dont like you cant use the normal BB shortcut keys (ie...3 for up, 9 for down, etc..).

I am in no way knocking it but I cant really find anything OM3 does that the built in BB one cant except for signing into MySpace. People keep saying it can do this and that but I cant find any site except MySpace that is different.

Last edited by rkkeller; 02-08-2007 at 01:53 PM..
Old 02-10-2007, 04:06 AM   #22
ohad_129
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: 237be374
Carrier: orange il
Default opera?

dose any one know wht every time that i connect to the application loader the opera mini uninstalled?
Old 02-10-2007, 10:58 AM   #23
sman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: t-mobile

another advantage of OM3, you can delete unwanted bookmarks. bb browser has default bookmarks that you're unable to delete from the browser menus screen.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:35 PM   #24
Dinkoh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: t-mobile

OM3 should give you the option to setup a different home page than the default one they have. Plus, I want google, not yahoo has a search engine.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:56 AM   #25
jabxyz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Default Making Opera the default browser

Several posters have alluded to this so I don't think that I'm hijacking this thread and I would like to get it fully out there if we can. How can I make Opera my default browser? My 7105t is running 4.1.0.309 and Opera mini is installed. When I go through Advanced options, Browser, Default Browser Configuration and try change option I only get the default browser and the T-Mo "Download fun" app as options. Default MDS Browser, no options for change, just the default and Default WAP Browser only the Download fun app option. Thanks in advance for any info that you guys can pass on.

Last edited by jabxyz; 02-12-2007 at 09:07 AM..
Old 02-12-2007, 08:05 AM   #26
mjwood0

Carrier: Cingular

From my understanding, there is no way to make Opera the default browser.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:51 PM   #27
dlautman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkkeller
I tried OM3 and really disliked the text entry screens (how a full window opens instead of just letting you type in the field.
This is really bothering me too.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:27 AM   #28
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:
I do find OM3 a little faster but my dislike for the full size text entry screens that pop up instead of being able to just type in the field about evens the score for me. I also dont like you cant use the normal BB shortcut keys (ie...3 for up, 9 for down, etc..).
True; you can use 0 for page down, but the other key shortcuts don't work. You can, however, scroll the trackball left to right to skip up and down the page quickly.

Quote:
I am in no way knocking it but I cant really find anything OM3 does that the built in BB one cant except for signing into MySpace. People keep saying it can do this and that but I cant find any site except MySpace that is different.
I didn't see the point in Opera Mini either, until I went into Options and set the font size to Small. There is so much extra real estate on the screen now! I find it 10 times better than using the BB browser, which I now use only for WAP sites and downloads.

I much prefer viewing this site, for example, on Opera Mini in its HTML form than using the BB Forums WAP site through the BB browser.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:57 AM   #29
saffron

Carrier: T-Mobile

This hasn't been explicitly stated: Some web sites force you to their wap/mobile site when you use the BlackBerry browser. These wap/mobile sites typically have limited content. You don't get redirected to the limited content wap/mobile sites when you use Opera Mini. There are other minor tradeoffs between the two.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:27 PM   #30
nuncles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

I don't mean to get off track but I would like to know the difference between Opera Mini and Opera Mobile (besides the $30 price). I haven't been able to get much from their website. Can someone tell me that or at least point me to location that has this info?
Old 02-16-2007, 02:16 PM   #31
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuncles
I don't mean to get off track but I would like to know the difference between Opera Mini and Opera Mobile (besides the $30 price). I haven't been able to get much from their website. Can someone tell me that or at least point me to location that has this info?
There are two main differences:

First, Opera Mini is a thin-client application that relies on a back-end server to compress web content before it reaches the destination (phone). Opera Mobile is a full browser that hits web sites directly. So, for example, if you surf to CNN.com on Opera Mobile, you go straight to CNN.com and it renders however they've got it set up to render. If you use Opera Mini to go there, your content will first go to an Opera Mini server where it will be compressed and reformatted to better suit your phone. Opera Mini is much better suited to people who have to keep an eye on their data usage.

Second, and because of the above compression scheme, Opera Mini has very choppy support for secure web sites (https). You will have no luck navigating certain bank web sites on Opera Mini, for example. I can't get into mine. Opera Mobile handles secure sites just fine.

Hope this helps.

PS: Not that it matters, but you've misspelled diarrhea.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:28 PM   #32
nostril

Model: 8900
Default Differences

Personally I find the most irksome difference to be the lack of standard BB text-entry shortcuts in OM. i.e. you can not hit the in orger to get the @ and "dot".
I guess I have adopted a BB centered approach to text entry on the BB and am having difficulty "breaking set"
Old 03-08-2007, 03:54 PM   #33
Berryguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TMobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sman
another advantage of OM3, you can delete unwanted bookmarks. bb browser has default bookmarks that you're unable to delete from the browser menus screen.
You can delete bookmarks in the bb browser, it is very straight forward, i have done it
Old 03-08-2007, 03:56 PM   #34
Berryguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Personally, i like the speed the BB browser offers... but i believe all this depends on the signal anyway, so for me bb browser has worked fine. i have bookmarked the websites that i frequent and that's it for me... I have no intention for paying $30 or more for another browser...
Old 03-08-2007, 03:57 PM   #35
Berryguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic0n0clast
I just use both, depending on what site I'm viewing. Overall, I like the built in browser better.

Amen... bb browser works the best for me
Old 03-08-2007, 06:57 PM   #36
Juan Salgado

Carrier: Porta

Does anybody knows other browser than BB and Opera?
Old 03-08-2007, 07:09 PM   #37
crazycuervo

Carrier: TMO

I use both. Some of my sites just work better for Opera and I like the RSS feeds. I am surprised there isn't a firefox type out there.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:05 PM   #38
kankanman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: tmo

opera mini over bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynhr
I didn't see the point in Opera Mini either, until I went into Options and set the font size to Small. There is so much extra real estate on the screen now! I find it 10 times better than using the BB browser, which I now use only for WAP sites and downloads.
i didnt know you could do this until now. the interface looks more appealing and for me, websites looks as if you're looking at it on your laptop, except shrunken....

also changed the skin

Last edited by kankanman; 03-08-2007 at 08:14 PM..
Old 03-08-2007, 09:59 PM   #39
abigorbot

Model: 8320
PIN: 24266447

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuncles
I've also checked out the Opera Mobile site and it doesn't show a download version for the blackberry other than the mini.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:00 PM   #40
virusboy286
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Default Opera 3.1

I definitly have to go with OM3.1.
Though you have to leave the thumb/trachwheel alone sometimes or you'll get a null void pointer error. Otherwise, TMo users get to view their My TMo accounts. And though OM does gives little setting options for secure connections, it does that automattically when you setup your network connections by finding all of your security settings you set in the BB options. It will even note that you have your firewall set or not.

OM3.1 does most the setup for you. So the user friendly app works with you. As for the invoking the browser for downloads, they set it up for that reason, so your downloading apps that will work and not ruin your crackberry. However, if a website needs IE to view the site it will tell you and ask to redirect to the download page.

As for the BB Browser i use that to surf the web while using OM too.
The WAP sites are not allowed for me to view. Soooo.....

As for other browsers, the one of I know of is Minute. But you pay for that. But dont ask me about it.

T-Mobile
8700g
Closed Thread