Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 08:16 AM   #1
Gotrek
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: none
Carrier: Rogers
Default Policy to Restrict BIS service

Please Login to Remove!

Is there a policy I can apply to dissalow users from setting up the Blackberry Internet Service? we have users who are setup on our BES who register with the carrier and setup the BIS. When the user quits and the unit is redployed it's alot of work for use to remove the BIS service. Also we see it as a security risk and don't want our users having their personal and work mail on the same device.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:10 AM   #2
dcpuser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I believe there are two ways. One, I know from T-Mobile people can register their handhelds to accept their personal emails through a browser called T-Zone. So I simply disallow Internet Browser which not only hides that but also any other browser not named BB browser. Second surefire way is to talk with your account representative and tell them you don't want the BIS option. I found out from T-Mobile they give both BES and BIS services to our handhelds.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:26 AM   #3
stella

Model: 8700
Carrier: O2UK

Hi

We run a BES for lotus on 4.1.3. On a handful of devices I have seen a new browser showup called 'Email Setting'. I know this is the way a suer would setup the BIS service but how did those handful of user's get that browser on their handheld? IS this something the carrier O2UK has sent down to the devices? Shall I expect more devices to have the BIS browser pushed down to them? how do I stop this from happening? ANything I can change on the BES?
Old 03-23-2007, 09:36 AM   #4
jymkata

Model: 1830
PIN: T O'Stout
Carrier: VZW

Greetings,

We're running 4.1 SP3. Amongst our IT Policy options is a section named "Service Policy Exclusivity Group". One of the options is "Allow other message services". Changing this to False removes the ability to use BIS for mail forwarding.

As a bonus, I can still use the Google Gmail app.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
jtor

Model: 9800
PIN: T a day if I ever get out of here
Carrier: AT&T

Blocking BIS is more problematic than you might expect. The service exclusivity policy to “disallow other email services” will block a user’s ability to send email via BIS and request “more”, “more all” or an attachment from an email received via the BIS account. It will not, however, block the ability to receive the first 50kb (not sure about the exact size) or so of an email originating from a BIS account.

If you are running a BES 4.1 environment and have the latest devices (i.e. The Pearl and 8800) running the 4.2 OS there is an IT policy which allows you to control the personal firewall on the device itself and reject incoming messages for the BIS account. This only applies to devices running the 4.2 hand held code.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:59 PM   #6
jymkata

Model: 1830
PIN: T O'Stout
Carrier: VZW

I was unaware of that. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:00 PM   #7
Ugg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: O2

It might be worth talking to your carrier and asking them if they can disable BIS service on the SIM card.

Depending on the carrier it isn't always necessary to enable BIS from the Blackberry itself, you may just need to know the pin and IMEI.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:21 AM   #8
Gotrek

Model: none
Carrier: Rogers

Our main carrier is rogers but we allow other carriers on our BES. Getting it restricted at the carrier may be a problem. WE will be disabling browsers shortly though leaving only the MDS browser.
Closed Thread