Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 11:49 AM   #1
fastv8
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint
Default Ringer Missing After 4.2.1.66 Update

Please Login to Remove!

I've loaded most all of the 4.2.0.x series of firmware on my Pearl with no problems. However, one of the ringers that came as standard previously is gone in 4.2.1.66. Is there any way to "dissect" a previous package to pull the ringer out?

I'm on T-Mobile. Although I delete the Vendor.xml file, I don't use Jibi's replacement. I am using a T-Mobile theme.

Any input greatly appreciated. I really like the ring - it was simple, not musical, and not annoying
Old 03-17-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
acnst
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: not configured
Carrier: T-Mobile

Nope, it is not possible to extract the ringer from a previous OS version. If it is gone, it is gone.

for Microsoft Exchange

Old 03-17-2007, 12:58 PM   #3
fastv8

So, can I downgrade my phone, copy the ringer off, do the upgrade again, then copy the ringtone back on? Are the "packaged" ringtones able to be copied off the device?

Does someone want to send me the ringer?
Old 03-17-2007, 01:51 PM   #4
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastv8
So, can I downgrade my phone, copy the ringer off, do the upgrade again, then copy the ringtone back on? Are the "packaged" ringtones able to be copied off the device?
Afraid not -- RIM has .... let's call it DRM built into the preloaded media, you can't copy it for the most part off the device. You cannot upload it via HTTP (I built a tiny PHP app where I upload things off my phone, mainly pics on-the-go), cannot copy it to the SD card, and you cannot play it in Media Player then "save as".
Old 03-17-2007, 01:55 PM   #5
fastv8

Thanks for the replies. I am going to have to do this the hard way. Downgrade the phone, then record the ringer in question to my PC (via analog/headphone jack). Once done, I'll have my own sample that they can't take away!
Old 03-17-2007, 02:00 PM   #6
rivviepop

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I am going to have to do this the hard way. Downgrade the phone, then record the ringer in question to my PC (via analog/headphone jack). Once done, I'll have my own sample that they can't take away!
Just out of curiosity, which one is it you like so much you're willing to go through all this pain?
Old 03-17-2007, 03:07 PM   #7
fastv8

I cannot remember the name, except that it was "Ringer...". It's none of the ones on the phone now though. Funny thing is, it's nothing special. It just worked for me and I could always hear it.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:17 PM   #8
rivviepop

Quote:
I cannot remember the name, except that it was "Ringer...". It's none of the ones on the phone now though. Funny thing is, it's nothing special. It just worked for me and I could always hear it.
I have an AAC that I use, it's from some random Nokia that works well -- maybe you'll like it:

http://rivviepop.php0h.com/bb/tone/Ring_Ring.aac
Old 03-17-2007, 04:02 PM   #9
netPOSER
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT

Do you mean the old-fashioned ringer ringtone? I'm sure you can find an MP3 of that rather easily.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:12 PM   #10
fastv8

rivviepop: Thanks for the ringer - it's not the same, but I may end up using it anyway.

netPOSER: There's an old-fashioned bell ringer on this new release which I am currently using. No need to look for anything for me.

I really HATE to do it but I am gonna downgrade my phone shortly to see what the ringer name is, and to try and capture it.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:56 PM   #11
lxalexxl

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Well I noticed that there was a ringtone called Trance which does not appear on the new firmware.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:13 PM   #12
fastv8

OK, I finally bit the bullet and downgraded my firmware. What a pain.

Anyway, the missing ringer was called "Ringer_RoomService" and I've captured it via the microphone jack to my PC. It aint going anywhere now, no matter what RIM do.

Thanks for all of the input, those of you who tried to help.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:39 PM   #13
krad
No longer Registered.

Model: 0000

i wonder why people write that you can't do something when they don't know what the hell they are talking about.

you can easily get the old ringers by downloading an older version of the os for your device and use javaloader.exe to load the media file.

I believe the file you are talking about is media 8700 or something along the lines of net_rim_media_8700.cod

use javaloader.exe -usb load net_rim_media_8700.cod to your blackberry while it is plugged in with desktop manager off.

This will load the old media file from the earlier ones on to your blackberry.. so you would probably have the media 8700 and the media "sonic networks" files.

if you have questions let me know.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:36 PM   #14
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Instead of posting negatively about those who "don't know what the hell they're talking about (with your "thumbs down" sig, too) just post if you have an idea or a solution. Your solution might be a valid one but you're going to tick everyone off in the process with the attitude. Lose it.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:52 PM   #15
krad
No longer Registered.

Model: 0000

it is simple... if you don't know what your talking about... you have no business telling someone they can't do something.

This poor guy wasted 30+ minutes downgrading his OS because of people (and a mod) who just assume they know what they are talking about.

If it weren't possible, then how did I document and restore the older t-mobile zen theme to the tim os?

My negative attitude is fueled by the moderation on this site. How can a moderator be the first to post completely false information? (sure mods are human, but honestly if you don't know then don't say you can't)

I am not here to debate or waste anymore of my time. I came into this thread with an actual way for this user to accomplish what he has asked.

Which will he find more valuable?
Old 03-25-2007, 05:54 PM   #16
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Krad, I think you need to go somewhere else. You really don't like it here. You occasionally have valuable information but you have to throw in an attitude to go with it. If you simply would have posted your solution without the attitude all would be well.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:58 PM   #17
kasperapd

Model: 9700

You just need to relax Krad. You do have good info to pass along, but most people don't appreciate the attitude that comes with it.

Please try a Search
Old 03-25-2007, 06:04 PM   #18
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Ya come on krad! We are all here (long time posters) because we love BB's and want to help NEW users out right????
Old 03-25-2007, 06:05 PM   #19
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Krad - please go away.
Simple as that.
You are a dispeptic individual. Go to Pinstack. Go to Howard Forums. Go away.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:06 PM   #20
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by krad
it is simple... if you don't know what your talking about... you have no business telling someone they can't do something.

This poor guy wasted 30+ minutes downgrading his OS because of people (and a mod) who just assume they know what they are talking about.
You have a logical fallicy here because your answer does not address what the OP asked for; he specifically asked "dissect a previous package", not how to load the entire media suite from another OS (and as you mention, an OS that's not even for his device, where did 8700 info come from?). In your parlance, you would have explained how to take the raw .cod file from a 4.2.0.x OS, break it apart and extract the one ringer he was after. But you did not, you gave a (completey valid) solution to the problem that was different than what he asked.

Before you would like to accuse me of not knowing what I'm talking about, you really should take a moment and carefully read the original question and the completely correct answers to that question. Trust me, it doesn't come out of my mouth with a positive finality unless I'm sure about it. But you already knew that, having carefully examined what I wrote....or not.