Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 07:12 PM   #21
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Please Login to Remove!

I got $2 on rivviepop, $2 on Nj, $2 on JC, and $2 on acnst....

I guess I just do not understand why some here must be so rude.... We are all here (even more so for the mods who get slammed and attacked all the time for NOTHING) because we love BB's and want to help out...

@krad

You do offer some good info here but why with the attitude? I know I have posted stuff in the past and looked at it later and said "what the heck was i talking about"? OR I have posted a simple answer because I did not feel like typing a lengthy response........

Just help others with the knowledge you have and don't be so rude about it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop
You have a logical fallicy here because your answer does not address what the OP asked for; he specifically asked "dissect a previous package", not how to load the entire media suite from another OS (and as you mention, an OS that's not even for his device, where did 8700 info come from?). In your parlance, you would have explained how to take the raw .cod file from a 4.2.0.x OS, break it apart and extract the one ringer he was after. But you did not, you gave a (completey valid) solution to the problem that was different than what he asked.

Before you would like to accuse me of not knowing what I'm talking about, you really should take a moment and carefully read the original question and the completely correct answers to that question. Trust me, it doesn't come out of my mouth with a positive finality unless I'm sure about it. But you already knew that, having carefully examined what I wrote....or not.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:04 AM   #22
krad
No longer Registered.

Model: 0000

Quote:
You have a logical fallicy here because your answer does not address what the OP asked for; he specifically asked "dissect a previous package", not how to load the entire media suite from another OS (and as you mention, an OS that's not even for his device, where did 8700 info come from?). In your parlance, you would have explained how to take the raw .cod file from a 4.2.0.x OS, break it apart and extract the one ringer he was after. But you did not, you gave a (completey valid) solution to the problem that was different than what he asked.

Before you would like to accuse me of not knowing what I'm talking about, you really should take a moment and carefully read the original question and the completely correct answers to that question. Trust me, it doesn't come out of my mouth with a positive finality unless I'm sure about it. But you already knew that, having carefully examined what I wrote....or not.
I have listened to what have posted and i will be a passive user on this forum.

Rivviepop, if you look in older os's for the pearl take a look at the blackberry.alx file. Inside you will see that rim has been loading a file called net_rim_media_8700.cod to the pearl. The tim os as well as the 8800 are the first time rim has started to push a cod file called "sonic networks" instead of the 8700media.cod file.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:11 AM   #23
krad
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Krad - please go away.
Simple as that.
You are a dispeptic individual. Go to Pinstack. Go to Howard Forums. Go away.
typical jets fan...
Old 03-26-2007, 09:46 AM   #24
fastv8
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

Try 1+ hours, not including the ringer capture, reloading of apps etc.

I'll be honest - I was hopeful that instead of being told "it can't be done" that someone could have made alternate suggestions. My "dissect" idea was supposed to be fuel for thought. So, although you're a week too late, I'd like to thank you Krad. Now that I know about this, I'll try to reply if someone else asks the same question.

Thanks also to Doug Fisher for the very useful JL_Cmder - it made wiping the Pearl very easy.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:31 AM   #25
krad
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastv8
Try 1+ hours, not including the ringer capture, reloading of apps etc.

I'll be honest - I was hopeful that instead of being told "it can't be done" that someone could have made alternate suggestions. My "dissect" idea was supposed to be fuel for thought. So, although you're a week too late, I'd like to thank you Krad. Now that I know about this, I'll try to reply if someone else asks the same question.

Thanks also to Doug Fisher for the very useful JL_Cmder - it made wiping the Pearl very easy.
I am glad i could help out! Most people don't think of the time and energy wasted by bad advice. Makes you wonder if they are just trying to inflate their post count.

If you need a step by step guide on how to do this let me know. i will be releasing new guides/hacks/tweaks and themes on my website often.

Kradest.com
Old 03-26-2007, 10:53 AM   #26
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by krad
....Most people don't think of the time and energy wasted by bad advice. Makes you wonder if they are just trying to inflate their post count.
Krad, Go away. If you don't leave you will be forced to leave. Even after posting above that you were going to be a *passive* member (to which I said to myself, Ok, I can live with that) now you are accusing members/moderators of just trying to inflate their post counts with bad advice.

You're done here.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:55 AM   #27
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Tell me your kidding right?
Quote:
I am glad i could help out! Most people don't think of the time and energy wasted by bad advice. Makes you wonder if they are just trying to inflate their post count.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:01 PM   #28
krad
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
Krad, Go away. If you don't leave you will be forced to leave. Even after posting above that you were going to be a *passive* member (to which I said to myself, Ok, I can live with that) now you are accusing members/moderators of just trying to inflate their post counts with bad advice.

You're done here.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:15 PM   #29
John Clark
BBF Moderator

fastv8,
I'm sorry your thread got hijacked like this. Nobody ever said his method wouldn't work. I've not tried it. You may end up with duplicate ringtones, or it may not even work. I don't know. It may work perfectly. If you get it working, do post back here with results. One thing to remember, nobody purposely posted any bad information just to make you spend an hour wiping and reinstalling. However, for me, those hours are the ones where I learn the most. I've spent many hours doing just what you've done.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:09 PM   #30
George1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Optus

Wow, that was a great fistfight, guys. Too bad that it ended the way it did. krad obviously knew his way around the BB, not so much around society and humans though.

Anyway, the reason why I came into this thread in the first place is because the ringtone I used before the upgrade (tinkerbell I think it was called) is no longer available for me after the upgrade. Bummer.

Any chance of anyone having a copy, somehow?

If not, does anyone have a recommendation where to get a simple ringtone (no music, melody or the like) that sounds loud enough on the Pearl?
Old 03-26-2007, 06:41 PM   #31
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Not really a fight..... krad *did* have some very good info but it was always presented as him against the world......

I will see if I can extract them this week (I am off Wed and Thurs) and will borrow my GF's WinPC.... If I get them out I will shoot you a PM....
Old 03-26-2007, 06:58 PM   #32
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Rivviepop, if you look in older os's for the pearl take a look at the blackberry.alx file. Inside you will see that rim has been loading a file called net_rim_media_8700.cod to the pearl. The tim os as well as the 8800 are the first time rim has started to push a cod file called "sonic networks" instead of the 8700media.cod file.
Negatory ghost rider, you have just done what you yourself have passive-aggressively accused me of (if you to accuse me, at least be honest and do it face to face) and posted bad, incorrect information. My "older" (subjective, so I'll assume you mean pre 4.2.1.x, i.e. 4.2.0.x) OS 4.2.0.73 does not load any such file with an 8700 in the name; all the media is located in two CODs that are actually zips in disguise, as usual:

net_rim_bb_media_100_240x260.cod
net_rim_bb_media_240x260_b.cod

Unzipping the latter produces a series of sub-cod files, which are PSI compiled data which I haven't discovered yet how to decompile (a mental excercise for myself out of pure interest). The Tunes are apparently located in specifically net_rim_bb_media_240x260_b-22.cod, but I can't verify that until I can actually decompile this and see the data.

Code:
$ strings net_rim_bb_media_240x260_b-22.cod | grep Tune
Tune_Entertainer
Tune_Promenade
Tune_Promenade
Tune_OdeToJoy
Tune_OdeToJoy
Tune_CanCan
Tune_CanCan
Tune_Birthday.mid
Tune_CanCan.mid
Tune_Entertainer.mid
Tune_GoodNews.mid
Tune_OdeToJoy.mid
Tune_Promenade.mid
mms/Tune_Birthday.mid
mms/Tune_CanCan.mid
mms/Tune_Entertainer.mid
mms/Tune_GoodNews.mid
mms/Tune_OdeToJoy.mid
mms/Tune_Promenade.mid
There are actually more in other cod files, but this is apparently the largest collection; however since there are so many sub-cod files involved I wouldn't be surprised if the data itself was split amongst several ones, again not understanding the internal PSI data format yet I can't do anything other than make uneducated guesses.

I can admit when I make mistakes and errors, can you? You information would have led the original poster on just as much a wild goose chase as anything else, I hope you realize.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:02 PM   #33
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

He no longer registered rivviepop BUT since I had $2 on you, who has to pay up?????????????????

I *want* my two dollars!
Old 03-26-2007, 07:43 PM   #34
George1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead
[...] If I get them out I will shoot you a PM....
Many many thanks in advance. If its too much of a hassle, don't worry, its only a ring tone after all.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:48 PM   #35
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead
I *want* my two dollars!
hahaha, I *love* that movie. Ricky RULEZ!

Hey I just did some googling and found this blog:

http://drbolsen.wordpress.com/tag/reverse-engineering/

These guys are hot on the track of decompiling a cod, boy I'm glad I didn't go out and start on it myself. Looks a bit involved...which is why I'm a systems guy and not a programmer.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:50 PM   #36
George1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default What's the movie

Quote:
hahaha, I *love* that movie. Ricky RULEZ!
Totally out of context and nothing to do with this thread, but I need to ask: What movie is that line from, please?
Old 03-26-2007, 09:21 PM   #37
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by George1
Totally out of context and nothing to do with this thread, but I need to ask: What movie is that line from, please?
Better Off Dead with John Cusack. The reference above to the "two dollars" is from the paperboy who chases John throughout the movie yelling "I want my two dollars!".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_Off_Dead
Old 03-26-2007, 09:42 PM   #38
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Yup the 'paperboy' is NUTZ! P
Old 03-26-2007, 10:39 PM   #39
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Ha ha ha!!! I remember that now!
Old 03-27-2007, 04:28 PM   #40
fastv8
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
fastv8,
I'm sorry your thread got hijacked like this. Nobody ever said his method wouldn't work. I've not tried it. You may end up with duplicate ringtones, or it may not even work. I don't know. It may work perfectly. If you get it working, do post back here with results. One thing to remember, nobody purposely posted any bad information just to make you spend an hour wiping and reinstalling. However, for me, those hours are the ones where I learn the most. I've spent many hours doing just what you've done.
You don't need to apologize for anything, although I do appreciate it. You are correct that I did learn some things so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

I have not used the search function to find all posts by Krad so I don't know how much of a pain he's been. With that in mind, might you consider reinstating him? He's very good technically.
Closed Thread