BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 03:35 AM   #1
LP-Trel
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default Any SSH software that isn't unreasonably expensive?

Please Login to Remove!

I was curious if anyone had found or written any mobile SSH software that didn't cost upwards of 1/3rd of the phone itself.

I'm buying Verichat so don't get me wrong. I just find most of the available applications to be quite expensive.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:49 AM   #2
cayzac
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Curve
Carrier: AT&T

How about FREE!
http://www.xk72.com/midpssh/index.html

I use this with our fleet of Cisco routers. Works great and Karl is always improving it with upgrades.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:08 AM   #3
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

woot! Free! Thank goodness for MIDPSSH!
Old 03-30-2005, 10:34 AM   #4
mikej5780
Thumbs Must Hurt

Midpssh rocks! And you can't beat the price. I also have found it very reliable through BES. I even use it to reboot/restart services on my BES's without having to shell out big $$$$ for some mobile administration suite.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:25 AM   #5
Bratag
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T

Midpssh is a great product and I use it, but I must say that if you want to do any long term work over a telnet product you cannot beat idkorro's product - I know $99 bucks sounds like a lot of money but if you are really doing more than very basic admin work its worth the money.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:30 PM   #6
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

I agree with bratag, especially if you are being paid to admin these machines..

but for those of us who are just adminning something at home, or occasional work use.. why pay that much?
Old 03-31-2005, 04:39 PM   #7
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

For light duty use, midpssh may do, but anyone using telnet/SSH for really extensive periods needs to try both products out. Don't forget that Idokorro MobileSSH comes with a free trial.

Version 2.0 just came out earlier this month with a lot of new features, many of which I've requested personally!
http://www.idokorro.com/imssh.html
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 04-01-2005, 03:12 AM   #8
LP-Trel
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratag
Midpssh is a great product and I use it, but I must say that if you want to do any long term work over a telnet product you cannot beat idkorro's product - I know $99 bucks sounds like a lot of money but if you are really doing more than very basic admin work its worth the money.
I am only looking to do basic work with it. Checking server load, checking for the messages in the mailqueue and whatnot like that. I have a laptop for anything more serious. $99 isn't alot of money it is just more than I am willing to spend on a piece of software for a phone. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by headtailgrep
I agree with bratag, especially if you are being paid to admin these machines..

but for those of us who are just adminning something at home, or occasional work use.. why pay that much?
There is no reason that I can see. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
For light duty use, midpssh may do, but anyone using telnet/SSH for really extensive periods needs to try both products out. Don't forget that Idokorro MobileSSH comes with a free trial.

Version 2.0 just came out earlier this month with a lot of new features, many of which I've requested personally!
http://www.idokorro.com/imssh.html
No offense to Idokorro as I know everyone has to make their money but, I always prefer GPL'd software (even if I buy it) as I know if the author ever stops supporting it I can pick it up myself if I choose to.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:42 PM   #9
stealthx32
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8220
Carrier: T-Mobile

I downloaded the free trial of of Idkorro's MobileSSH, and it works great over TCP/IP. One gripe though...I can't use the button to delete... It translates to escape...so if I'm in emacs, and need to delete something, I'm SOL (yeah, there's probably a CTRL+something combination for it, but that's a pain in the ass). Any insight into this?
Old 04-07-2005, 04:57 PM   #10
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

stealthx32,
What happens if you hold the key at the same time while pressing ?

If it works, I'll tell the resident MobileSSH programmer to add a DEL<->BS swap feature.
(Note: I work for Idokorro...)
Old 04-14-2005, 02:12 PM   #11
MicroChip

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-Mobile

I installed midpssh on my 7320 running OS4 on TMO and get the error:

Quote:
The application midpssh has attempted to open a connection to a location inside the firewall and outside the firewall which is not allowed by your IT policy
I installed Idokorro and it works fine.

MC
Old 04-29-2005, 02:05 AM   #12
spamber

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 7100g: BlackBerry7100/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Idokorro works great on my 7100g but the free program locks up my BB. I refuse to pay that much for a program that doesn't have a history/scrollback feature. I'm not going to spend any significant time aggravating my carpal tunnel just to correct a typo I missed. And some sort of timer/macro feature would be well worth the price they're asking. I don't use the program for remote admin stuff, just my own personal hobbies.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:07 AM   #13
spamber

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 7100g: BlackBerry7100/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Idokorro works great on my 7100g but the free program locks up my BB. I refuse to pay that much for a program that doesn't have a history/scrollback feature. I'm not going to spend any significant time aggravating my carpal tunnel just to correct a typo I missed. And some sort of timer/macro feature would be well worth the price they're asking. I don't use the program for remote admin stuff, just my own personal hobbies.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:54 AM   #14
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

There is already a history/scrollback feature in Idokorro MobileSSH, and its size is configurable. By default, just spin the scrollwheel upwards while you're inside a session, and you've got the scrollback. You can turn on/off Scrolling via the menus.

I'll pass the suggestion about the "Macro" feature to the appropriate people here (I work at Idokorro). It definitely would be a very useful feature. I assume that when you say "Macro", you mean predefined strings of text that you can select from a list, for automatic transmission to the remote host. Would macros be a "buying consideration" for anyone here on this board?
Old 04-29-2005, 03:58 PM   #15
spamber

Yes having predefined macros would definately make me consider buying the program more than I already have. I guess I've been spoiled with Zmud and various other telnet programs for my home computer. Timer macros would also be very nice, having a macro set to repeat itself with a user defined ammount of time inbetween each.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:16 PM   #16
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Good news: I am told that Macros is already pretty high on the TODO list. Keep an eye out for the macro feature.

However, "timer" macros aren't currently planned unless there's a lot of demand for it. Most of the Idokorro target market aren't MUDders. Although I know a friend who runs Criterion MUD, a mobile-friendly MUD, and he frequently uses Idokorro to access it, and maintain it. Actually even uses editors remotely too to modify his MUD.

Either way, regular macros are definitely a planned feature. Basically a list where you can Add/Edit/Delete/Send any snippets of pre-written text. Not sure of timeline, but I would guesstimate by the next quarter. (Maybe even during May.)

If you can telnet/ssh to a Linux system, and then run a remote copy of a MUD terminal, you can get timer macros, or run software such as the "BltchX-IRC" application. You'd gain the benefit of timer macros triggered remotely in the Linux software running on the remote end. You'd simply connect in a cascading order:
"Your BlackBerry"->"Your Linux Box"->"The Remote MUD system"
Best solution for getting access to timer macros, by running Linux MUD software client via Linux over MobileSSH. Works perfectly! (You could try to ask a friend for a Linux shell account, if you don't want to run your own Linux box...)

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 04-29-2005 at 04:29 PM..
Old 04-29-2005, 11:42 PM   #17
spamber

I don't MUD enough to put that kind of effort into finding a linux shell to telnet in/out of. But if I run across someone with one I will keep that in mind, as it is I just lost my job, I can't afford 100 dollars on an app for my phone.
Closed Thread