BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 07:07 PM   #1
b_d0za
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default No Data Plan? You can still download OTA!!

Please Login to Remove!

Sorry if you already knew this but I found a way to get OTA games and themes to my phone without a data plan. I got my pearl for free and can't afford bbinternet yet and I'm sure others would like to do this as well.

1) Download the simulator for your model phone as described in this thread:

Take the 8100 for a test! 8100 FULL Device Simulator released. - RIM Blackberry Forums - Pinstack.com

You need to have the simulator, the email and mds simulator, and Sun JDK 5.0 for it to work properly with the internet.

2) Run the mds simulator from Start>All Programs>Research in Motion (It will open up in Dos, just leave it alone or minimize it)

3) Run the device simulator (same location as step 2).

4) Use the browser in the simulated phone to download games and themes or whatever.

5) Follow the directions on Kradest.com thanks to Kradest on how to backup OTA and 3rd party applications, however, when you get to step 5 of his instructions just stop and come back to this thread and read where it says "Edit:" in this post below.

Kradest.com

NOTE: DON'T WIPE YOUR BLACKBERRY if you are only trying to get games and stuff to your phone.

I had a little trouble following his instructions though as I could not find the files saved to my pc. I ended up just disabling the simulated usb connection and connecting my actual phone to let it go through the wizard and switch the games and themes over to my phone. But they show up in app loader to uninstall and reinstall so it works great.

EDIT: I found out it doesn't allow you to reinstall like stated above. It will disappear from app loader if it is not on your phone. I added a post below describing how I was able to find the files that save to your computer. Or check out this link to where KRAD cleared things up a bit about that situation:

KRADEST, I got a question for ya. - RIM Blackberry Forums - Pinstack.com

I found some awesome free OTA only downloads at mobile.blackberry.com and Free Mobile Games Community for your Cell Phone

Last edited by b_d0za; 04-08-2007 at 10:54 AM..
Old 03-31-2007, 08:19 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Now, that's thinking outside the box! A little time consuming but a helpful post indeed.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:55 PM   #3
Willie115

Carrier: mEowmIx

That's so nice since I'm thinking about canceling my data plan. Well thanks a lot for the information, there should be a sticky for this hehe.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:29 AM   #4
joolsca
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: fido

So, the number 5 instruction is to backup the simulated phone? Or are you saying to wipe the actual blackberry??
Old 04-01-2007, 12:35 AM   #5
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

A Very Helpful post INDEED, especially to large corporations testing in-house created applications or interfaces via the BB Browser for their MDS Studio associated apps - this way they can download to their devices (production/test) to test in a "live" environment.

However, Willie115, if your going to cancel your data plan its best you DL all you can now while you still have it. It may be better to give the apps a test run on a live network (most apps require data connection with the network).
Old 04-01-2007, 01:58 AM   #6
joolsca

damn..I got an error when I was trying to back up the gmail app that I downloaded to the simulator...said I would have to reinstall by OTA, which of course I can't do since I only have GPRS and OTA demands the BB Browser and won't use Opera....
Defeats the purpose...
Old 04-01-2007, 09:49 AM   #7
b_d0za

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolsca
So, the number 5 instruction is to backup the simulated phone? Or are you saying to wipe the actual blackberry??
ONLY WIPE YOUR BLACKBERRY IF YOU REALLY WANT TO. I think he included this in his instructions because the only time most people want to backup their Applications is when they want to do a reinstall of the operating system. So I reccommend not doing so if you are just trying to get the apps on your phone. I also added this to my original post.

Last edited by b_d0za; 04-01-2007 at 10:39 AM..
Old 04-01-2007, 09:58 AM   #8
b_d0za

Just thought I'd post this in case anybody else needs help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasoq12
how do u download themes and games on the simulator?
You need:

1) the device simulator(make sure you get your model phone with the same os you are running)

2) the email and mds simulator(first one in the list of simulators)

3) Sun JDK 5.0. Here is the link:
https://sdlc2d.sun.com/ECom/EComActi...E394C9DA1334D8

When you have these three things installed and ready to go:

1) open the mds simulator

2) open the blackberry simulator

3) Use the simulated blackberry's browser to search the internet and download whatever you want
Old 04-01-2007, 10:02 AM   #9
b_d0za

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolsca
damn..I got an error when I was trying to back up the gmail app that I downloaded to the simulator...said I would have to reinstall by OTA, which of course I can't do since I only have GPRS and OTA demands the BB Browser and won't use Opera....
Defeats the purpose...

That sucks. So you have internet on your phone over GPRS and can't download OTA. I guess I don't understand what you are saying. You can't use the bb browser? I'm sure you have already tried, I was just curious. Is there another option besides bb internet?
Old 04-01-2007, 10:50 AM   #10
b_d0za

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagga
A Very Helpful post INDEED, especially to large corporations testing in-house created applications or interfaces via the BB Browser for their MDS Studio associated apps - this way they can download to their devices (production/test) to test in a "live" environment.
Not exactly positive if this pertains to what you are saying here but I have been unsuccessful in backing up applications loaded with javaloader. It seems to only work with OTA apps.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:52 PM   #11
joolsca

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_d0za
That sucks. So you have internet on your phone over GPRS and can't download OTA. I guess I don't understand what you are saying. You can't use the bb browser? I'm sure you have already tried, I was just curious. Is there another option besides bb internet?
Yes, it's the same as with Symbian OS60V3...when you download an app OTA, Opera closes and the internal browser opens automatically.
With Symbian I can do it because the internal browser works with the GPRS internet settings, but the Pearl browser needs a blackberry data account to open...it is not even visible in my phone because I use only GPRS with Opera mini (which works very well without blackberry data incidentally).

I was hoping I could use the Gmail app to check mail instead of having to go through Opera mini, but it won't back up using the above method.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:54 PM   #12
joolsca

I have been able to download and install OTA apps just fine with the simulator, but I cannot backup any OTA apps..I get an error....
Old 04-01-2007, 03:00 PM   #13
Number_44
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Tmobile

So can you still use the internet on this thing?

Including Jivetalk etc?
Old 04-01-2007, 03:21 PM   #14
b_d0za

Wait a minute, what do you use besides blackberry internet? I don't see how you are even getting on the internet without it. Sorry, I've never heard of this before.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:58 AM   #15
b_d0za

Cool

I don't have a data plan because I can't afford it yet. I got my pearl for free with a 2 year contract with t-mobile. I am about to graduate college in 1 month and will be purchasing a data plan as soon as I get outta here and get a good job. Using the internet on the simulated device makes me want it even more. I can't wait.

Last edited by John Clark; 04-02-2007 at 12:50 PM..
Old 04-02-2007, 12:31 PM   #16
joolsca

I'm on Fido and I use fido GPRS. I can use opera mini and it works extremely well. I can check emails through imap.

I don't have a blackberry plan and I don't need it...I also have a Nokia E61 and a Nokia E50...I use the pearl as an alternative. I works very well as a phone/pda with opera for internet usage.

I don't know what jive talk is...I don't use IM programs, if that's what you mean....

All I did was fill in fido's APN in the TCP option, edit opera mini's application settings to allow network and data usage and voila, it works perfectly.
BUT Opera mini is the only internet program I have used.

Last edited by joolsca; 04-02-2007 at 12:34 PM..
Old 04-02-2007, 12:53 PM   #17
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Cleaned up this thread.

If your post is missing or edited it's because it was inflammatory or inappropriate for this forum.

Lets keep the name calling and judging out of the discussion please.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:15 PM   #18
Vires

Model: 8800
Carrier: Fido

I can't seem to get it working, when backing up the data (although I cannot find where it gets backed up too) everything goes fine. At one point it does say some applications need to be redownloaded OTA. It then asks me to select my new Blackberry, which I do. At that point I am asked whether or not to set up an email account, which I reply No too. The wizard then stops completely saying no actions preformed etc... When I try the app loader, nothing new is available for install?
Old 04-02-2007, 09:11 PM   #19
yellowsky

Carrier: tmobile

how do you get the simulator to connect with your phone. i plug the phone through and turn the simulator on, and check the usb connector, but everytime i download something on the simulator. My phone does nothing.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:14 PM   #20
b_d0za

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vires
I can't seem to get it working, when backing up the data (although I cannot find where it gets backed up too) everything goes fine. At one point it does say some applications need to be redownloaded OTA. It then asks me to select my new Blackberry, which I do. At that point I am asked whether or not to set up an email account, which I reply No too. The wizard then stops completely saying no actions preformed etc... When I try the app loader, nothing new is available for install?
First of all, when you see a screen with 3 check boxes, make sure only the bottom one is selected (It's the one that says 3rd party applications).

Second, I'm not sure about some applications needing to be redownloaded OTA. I never got that message.

Third, I found where it saves them to. At the point where it asks you to connect your actual phone, just leave it alone and Open up My Computer. Make sure you have show hidden files enabled or the check box checked in Tools>>Folder Options>>View. Now type %temp% in the address bar and hit enter. Click on search and search all files and folders for *.alx and you should find one thats named something random like 123f03k4.alx. Right click it and open the folder it is in. There should be that .alx file and a bunch of other files with the names of the apps you were able to backup. Copy that entire folder with everything in it and save it somewhere else.

Now instead of using the wizard you can just close out of it all and use DM's App Loader to load them. To add the apps to the list click on add new and browse to where you saved the folder with all your apps you found in the above step.

Good luck and let me know how you do.

Last edited by b_d0za; 04-03-2007 at 09:53 AM..
Closed Thread