Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 02:37 PM   #1
yustonuser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Unhappy GSM click/interference vs. CDMA

Please Login to Remove!

Question for you all - I spoke to tech support this morning about feedback/clicking/intefrerence noises I hear when I get an email while on the phone, in my car with the radio on, etc. They told me that EVERY phone, more with BB's) will get that when the radio is communicating.

Does this mean that (althoug many thought these issues were related to 4.0) that this is a GSM issue for all calls? Everytime I get a call in my car, there may be clicking noises from interference b/w my phone and the car radio?

I never had this with Verizon and just want to be sure this is not a GSM issue I will need to be concerned with - since it is new, it is very apparent to me.

Any insight would be helpful and thanks!
Old 05-02-2005, 02:52 PM   #2
LarsenNET
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

It’s the GSM/GPRS network. I demoed some BB’s from AT&T wireless last year. Anytime the radio was communicating when I was at my desk my PC speakers would make the noises you are referring to. We ended up going with Verizon and they don’t make that noise. It’s not a 4.0 issue since this was before that came out. I believe Nextel’s network does the same thing.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:54 PM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

I "solve" this problem by moving the BB slightly further away from the speakers. If they are more than 3-4 inches away, I don't hear the interference. Happens with all GPRS devices, not just BlackBerrys.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:34 PM   #4
wintermute

it's a GSM thing. my and my g/f's phones cause her car radio to make a few beeps just as phone calls come in. at first it was annoying but now we kinda like it, works well w/ ascending ringers
Old 05-02-2005, 03:41 PM   #5
yustonuser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hmmm...thanks all for the responses. I guess I could get used to it, but I am mainly concerned with my cller not having good call clarity during a call - I am in sales and am always speaking with customers/prospects and do not want the calls to be hard to hear if I am in the car due to clicking/interference.

Last thing - one response said it does not happen with CDMA data - so if I went back t oVerizon and used the 7250, I would not have this issue?
Old 05-02-2005, 03:44 PM   #6
LarsenNET
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550

Correct, you would not have that issue. The downside is that it needs more juice (battery) to operate CDMA.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:59 PM   #7
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

I've had that issue with other phones as well as my 7290 from Cingular.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:18 PM   #8
aristobrat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by yustonuser
Hmmm...thanks all for the responses. I guess I could get used to it, but I am mainly concerned with my cller not having good call clarity during a call - I am in sales and am always speaking with customers/prospects and do not want the calls to be hard to hear if I am in the car due to clicking/interference.
When I'm on a voice call, I've never noticed my phone causing any clicks/sounds on speakers nearby. For me, it's only when the phone is laying around receiving data (or about to ring). Weird..

Last edited by aristobrat; 05-02-2005 at 04:21 PM..
Old 05-02-2005, 04:24 PM   #9
yustonuser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Aristobrat - one would think, but I could clearly hear it when I was on the phone with the Congular/BB tech support person and she explained that it is something with all BB's and phones and showed me that when she launhes her browser while I was on the call, I would hear interference, which I noticeabley did. So - if I do NOT launch any data transfering during a call, I should not hear any interference?

Just trying to get the clearest signal I can - if it is going to be spotty due to GPRS (something I did not realize before I switched) then I want to know and switch back. I am happy with my phone, but if calls are always scratchy, forget it.

Thanks to all for input
Old 05-02-2005, 05:12 PM   #10
aristobrat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW

Are you saying that when you're having a conversation on a land-line phone, your GSM BlackBerry will cause interferance that both parties can hear?

If that's the case, then I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about hearing interferance on your BlackBerry during a voice call on your Blackberry. My bad!

I'm on the phone a lot at work, so I have a corded headset. If my BlackBerry is within a foot or two of that cord, it will cause interferance that I (and whomever I'm talking with) can hear. Verizon tech support gives me crap about it all of the time. On the other hand, if I use the handset, it picks up no interferance from the BlackBerry, even if it's only a few inches away. Neat.

I'm still a huge GSM fan. Seems to be a much larger selection of phones (i.e. when will there ever be a CDMA 7100 series BlackBerry???) that are less expensive, and you can buy them from other places BESIDES your CDMA carrier.

Last edited by aristobrat; 05-02-2005 at 05:32 PM..
Old 05-02-2005, 06:20 PM   #11
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yustonuser

Last thing - one response said it does not happen with CDMA data - so if I went back t oVerizon and used the 7250, I would not have this issue?

I have the same problem, but when i turn the radio off, the buzzing stops. try that. Besides, with the volume of bb's headsets, a quiet car is a better environment.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:06 AM   #12
agr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default Noisy GSM...

My ATTWS (uh, now Cingular :-<) GSM phone is noisy as hell when it comes to RF interference with radio/audio devices. It makes my NXTL BB7520 sound like a whisper.

With that said, though, the PCS band GSM is whisper quiet in my experience.
Closed Thread