Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 07:59 AM   #1
camoto
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default Enterprise Activation after upgrade to 4.2

Please Login to Remove!

It's a Cingular 8700c upgraded from 4.1 to 4.2. After the upgrade completed, EE started but hung at 11% for hours. I have tried:

Wiping the handheld - same result
Deleting service books - same result

THIS:
Quote:
Search and delete any and all files ending with OST and OAB and then find and delete the Research In Motion folder...
Restart Outlook and let it re-create the OSTs and re-download the Offline Address Book(OAB)... When that's done.. Shut down outlook.
Take the battery out of your Blackberry reseat the SIM card. Replace the battery.. Let the Blackberry restart.
Now start up desktop manager (w/o the Blackberry connected) then connect the Blackberry AFTER it's done connecting to the email profile. Go to Intellisync > Configure PIM...
Now if your BES does everything wireless (Calendar{e-mail}, Tasks, Memos, Address Book) UNCHECK all but Calender and choose Calendar to connect to the BES server
If your BES ONLY does Calender/E-mail wirelessly make sure the others are checked for connecting to Outlook and "Calender" is set for the BES server.
After all that is done... Re-syn
Now it hangs at 13%

So basically I got 2 percent out of all of that.

Anyone else having this problem? Anyone have any other suggestions for a solution?
Old 04-24-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
camoto

nobody?
Old 04-24-2007, 11:50 AM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Usually a corrupted address file or calendar file or something. I would check with your BES Admin. How are you starting the activation? If you're doing it via USB through Desktop manager sometimes a password from the Admin works better for some reason.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:03 PM   #4
MajorTom

Model: BOLD
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by camoto View Post
It's a Cingular 8700c upgraded from 4.1 to 4.2. After the upgrade completed, EE started but hung at 11% for hours. I have tried:

Wiping the handheld - same result
Deleting service books - same result

THIS:
Now it hangs at 13%

So basically I got 2 percent out of all of that.

Anyone else having this problem? Anyone have any other suggestions for a solution?

I have tried both 4.2.x.x versions listed here and had no problem with either activating using Enterprise activation. I did find the 4.2.1.85 to be more stable then the 4.2.1.66 release.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:52 PM   #5
camoto

Thanks for the suggestions. Still sitting at 13%. No idea why.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:52 PM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Talk to your admin.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:22 AM   #7
camoto

Thanks, it was the BES Server. It was hung.

Thanks for the suggestions
Old 04-26-2007, 09:02 PM   #8
bb007

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers

I got error after upgrade my 8700 to V4.2: it requires for activation and after I input my email and password, it says "An error occurred. Please contact your sys admin."

What is the problem here? Mine is a Cingular BB8700 but now registered with Rogers in Canada.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:18 PM   #9
cannondale0815

Model: 8100
Carrier: SingTel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb007 View Post
I got error after upgrade my 8700 to V4.2: it requires for activation and after I input my email and password, it says "An error occurred. Please contact your sys admin."
You should do exactly what it asks you to do -- talk to your Blackberry Enterprise Server admin (or help desk) of your company. They need to set you up with another activation password. Every time you wipe your hand held or install a new OS version, you have to ask them for a new password.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:22 PM   #10
RIM_Next_Door
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
PIN: 1

If it's Exchange you are connecting to, check the user's Junk Folder. I'm finding I get the same results, and it's due to BES/BB specific e-mails that are needed to be sent back and forth during a wireless activation. I see the files come in and go directly to the Junk Folder. The RIM just sits there for hours (I'm assuming looking for these e-mails). When I drag them back to the Inbox, the activation takes about 7 minutes or less.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:46 PM   #11
bb007

Model: 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondale0815 View Post
You should do exactly what it asks you to do -- talk to your Blackberry Enterprise Server admin (or help desk) of your company. They need to set you up with another activation password. Every time you wipe your hand held or install a new OS version, you have to ask them for a new password.
Thanks, last time I upgraded my old handheld to V4.0, no such "enterprise activation" required.
I am afraid my admin will blame me for upgrading the OS myself, if I restore to orginal OS, do i need to do the activation still?
Old 04-27-2007, 02:33 PM   #12
rcm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb007 View Post
Thanks, last time I upgraded my old handheld to V4.0, no such "enterprise activation" required.
I am afraid my admin will blame me for upgrading the OS myself, if I restore to orginal OS, do i need to do the activation still?
yep you will have to talk to the BES admin/helpdesk regardless now. This is a 2 minute process... they just have to delete the old account and recreate a new one. Set the activation password anytime you do any OS upgrade or wipe.

I have also heard on these boards somewhere that if your companies BES isnt running the latest version it may not be able to talk to your upgraded handheld.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:41 PM   #13
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
yep you will have to talk to the BES admin/helpdesk regardless now. This is a 2 minute process... they just have to delete the old account and recreate a new one. Set the activation password anytime you do any OS upgrade or wipe.

I have also heard on these boards somewhere that if your companies BES isnt running the latest version it may not be able to talk to your upgraded handheld.
Not true. I upgrade all the time and never talk to my IT dept. If you can connect to your email via LAN or VPN. As long as Desktop Manager picks up your email profile while connected the EA will start automatically after the upgrade is finished. I've done this many times.

If you "wipe" the handheld and don't restore from backup then when you activate (same way, BTW) you will not get your old emails restored unless your BES admin deletes and recreates your account.
Closed Thread