BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 08:10 AM   #21
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

I think you find, for national carriers, that T-Mobile is by far the least expensive for data either blackberry, pc, pda or phone. If you don't use a coprorate BES you can get an even cheaper rate and they have some great bundles with unlimited sms and phone minutes. Of course the trade off is smaller network coverage than Cingular, Verizon and Sprint. I use Cingular for BB and T-Mobile for phone.

Verizon's blackberry is rumored to be EV-DO capable with a software upgrade and faster than the 7290. Battery life isn't as good and you can't receive a call if your in data mode (browsing for example).

SMS is overpriced IMHO. T-Mobile is $7/1000, Cingular is $10/1000 and Verizon is $5 unlimited to Verizon wireless + 50 SMS + $0.10 send over 50 and $0.02 to receive over 50. With my old ATT plan I get unlimited incoming and 100 outgoing for $3 and that is a good deal.

In my area, NJ/NYC T-Mobile, Verizon and Cingular have very good coverage. Nextel is horrible and I don't know about Sprint. Best to find out what works in your area because without coverage that good deal is worthless.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:36 AM   #22
ckeck
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
PIN: 23F51D67

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerbasio
I think you find, for national carriers, that T-Mobile is by far the least expensive for data either blackberry, pc, pda or phone. If you don't use a coprorate BES you can get an even cheaper rate and they have some great bundles with unlimited sms and phone minutes. Of course the trade off is smaller network coverage than Cingular, Verizon and Sprint. I use Cingular for BB and T-Mobile for phone.

Verizon's blackberry is rumored to be EV-DO capable with a software upgrade and faster than the 7290. Battery life isn't as good and you can't receive a call if your in data mode (browsing for example).

SMS is overpriced IMHO. T-Mobile is $7/1000, Cingular is $10/1000 and Verizon is $5 unlimited to Verizon wireless + 50 SMS + $0.10 send over 50 and $0.02 to receive over 50. With my old ATT plan I get unlimited incoming and 100 outgoing for $3 and that is a good deal.

Regards-Michael G.
Let me just start off by saying that I am a Cingular Sales Rep, and I will "try" not to let that cloud my decision and if I say something good about Cingular, don't flame me for it because its probably true...

You may be able to find some cheaper rates for BB from other carriers, but the majority of the market is controlled by Cingular/AT&T and the BB's seem to perform better on this network...or on GSM all together. Also, SMS on AT&T/Cingular is probably the fastest and most reliable SMS network.

No, SMS is not included in the BB data plan, you will need to get an additional package. As some others here have said, get an IM client or another program that sends SMS through your data service.

Also, for those of you who love to call 411 info, I found a great program for my BB which some of you probably already have, its call '411 Berry Search', works great.

My roommate works for Verizon and he said there is no BB update which makes their BB EV-DO capable, just thought I would throw that out FYI.

And yeah, SMS is overpriced...AT&T was the best.

-Chad
Old 05-07-2005, 10:30 AM   #23
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeck
Let me just start off by saying that I am a Cingular Sales Rep, and I will "try" not to let that cloud my decision and if I say something good about Cingular, don't flame me for it because its probably true...

You may be able to find some cheaper rates for BB from other carriers, but the majority of the market is controlled by Cingular/AT&T and the BB's seem to perform better on this network...or on GSM all together. Also, SMS on AT&T/Cingular is probably the fastest and most reliable SMS network.

No, SMS is not included in the BB data plan, you will need to get an additional package. As some others here have said, get an IM client or another program that sends SMS through your data service.

Also, for those of you who love to call 411 info, I found a great program for my BB which some of you probably already have, its call '411 Berry Search', works great.

My roommate works for Verizon and he said there is no BB update which makes their BB EV-DO capable, just thought I would throw that out FYI.

And yeah, SMS is overpriced...AT&T was the best.

-Chad
I have seen many users with different companies. I have Cingular myself and my BB outperforms everyother. Rarely dropped calls or interference. decent rates and decent data speed. Cingular is a giant and pairing with AT&T only makes them bigger. good luck finding a carrier on the east coast that can match its power.