Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 12:50 PM   #1
Torgerson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: cingular
Default Update to InfoSpace Find It! to solve connection issues

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all, I just wanted to let you know that we just released a 1.3.2 version of InfoSpace Find It! You should get a notification on your phone to go download the new version when you start Find It!, but you can also go directly here to get the new version.

OTA: InfoSpace Find It! for BlackBerry

For those users who were having connection issues, this should solve those for you. For the rest of you, you may notice some speed increases depending on the way your phone connects to the Internet. (BES/BIS/TCP).

Anyway.. thanks for all the fantastic feedback provided,and for those who participated in the beta for this release. It is much appreciated. I will try to get a special thank you coming your way. I know Malik appreciated the responses he was receiving. (and for those keeping track, Malik is our QA Lead)

- Jeff (and the entire InfoSpace Find It! team)
Old 05-15-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t

Thanks! Does it support bluetooth GPS on the pearl?
Old 05-15-2007, 01:14 PM   #3
Torgerson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamdumpster View Post
Thanks! Does it support bluetooth GPS on the pearl?
Bluetooth puck support is not part of this release; however you can still use the product without GPS perfectly fine. I have an 8100 also.. it just means we don't get the 'cool factor' yet with the built in GPS guys.

More releases are planned out.. have no fear.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:55 PM   #4
Maverickster
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Alas, same connection problem persists in this version 1.3.2 on my device. I uninstalled the old version, installed the new version (1.3.2), and tried it. I got the same connection error. Then, I did a battery pull and tried it again. Same connection error.

Cingular, BB 8800, v. 4.2.1.72, BES.

I'm really excited about this product, but I just can't get it to work. Thanks!

--Mav

P.S. The connection error of which I speak is "Unable to start InfoSpace Find It!. Possible network problems, try again."
Old 05-15-2007, 02:04 PM   #5
Torgerson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickster View Post
Alas, same connection problem persists in this version 1.3.2 on my device. I uninstalled the old version, installed the new version (1.3.2), and tried it. I got the same connection error. Then, I did a battery pull and tried it again. Same connection error.

Cingular, BB 8800, v. 4.2.1.72, BES.

I'm really excited about this product, but I just can't get it to work. Thanks!

--Mav

P.S. The connection error of which I speak is "Unable to start InfoSpace Find It!. Possible network problems, try again."
Interesting.. I will have Malik get in touch with you personally and walk through a couple things.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:14 PM   #6
Maverickster
Thumbs Must Hurt

That would be great. Thanks!

--Mav
Old 05-15-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Works good for me, except for error in search result I mentioned before in previous thread. But I'm nitpicking, and it is probably the data and not the application anyway. Only real complaint I have is the quality of the map images. (And can't wait for BT GPS support.)

Last edited by aiharkness; 05-15-2007 at 03:02 PM..
Old 05-15-2007, 03:07 PM   #8
Torgerson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Works good for me, except for error in search result I mentioned before in previous thread. But I'm nitpicking, and it is probably the data and not the application anyway. Only real complaint I have is the quality of the map images. (And can't wait for BT GPS support.)
We'd love to hear the details of your issues with the maps, and what you might expect to see. Give us your "I'd like to see" as well as your "This would be the greatest in the world if..." scenarios.. It is always great to get feedback from real users and try to get that integrated. We of course have our ideas, but you guys/gals are the ones that matter!
Old 05-15-2007, 04:30 PM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

By map quality, I'm refering to the map diplayed after selecting View Map from the Details page. The street names are hard (if not impossible to read) and the highway labels could be easier to read if there was color contrast.

Also, and this may just be me, I would like to have the option to see a full-screen map view of my route.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:31 PM   #10
SMF
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

It doesn't work for me - connection issues. I have a unique situation as I'm on a BES but browsing is not enabled via the BES. I connect directly via tcp (I'm on t-mobile).

Phil Bogle had to add a special connection option to Beyond411 and Berrysearch so that I could select direct connection and get the apps to work.

SMF
Old 05-15-2007, 04:56 PM   #11
plchan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700g
Carrier: NO One

it is so much easier if the application has the "check upgrade" link. I got an notification after I launched application and asked "go to the browser and access the link".

nice notification feature, but not friendly enough since I need to memorize or write down the link, and go to the browser to type it again.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:42 PM   #12
Torgerson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by plchan View Post
it is so much easier if the application has the "check upgrade" link. I got an notification after I launched application and asked "go to the browser and access the link".

nice notification feature, but not friendly enough since I need to memorize or write down the link, and go to the browser to type it again.
We 100% agree, and in an upcoming release (date to be determined) we will plan on a much more sophisticated release that will also let you know WHY you should upgrade
Old 05-16-2007, 10:38 AM   #13
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

sorry this program is treadfully slow on my pearl!
Old 05-16-2007, 12:17 PM   #14
Jinga

Carrier: Tmobile

I just downloaded version 1.3.2 and got the same "Unable to start InfoSpace Find It! Possible network problems, try again." I'm on T-mobile and on a BES. Are there settings I need to adjust?

Berry411, google maps, etc. all work fine for me. I'd really like to get this program working though.

Last edited by Jinga; 05-16-2007 at 12:19 PM..
Old 05-18-2007, 10:16 AM   #15
mabdul

So far the only connectivity issues we see are from users with BES settings and thier server administrators are blocking them from accessing 3rd party urls. The only work around in this case is to ask your server administrator to allow 3rd party applications. Below are steps that server administrators can follow in order to allow third part urls. The steps may differ depending on the version/service pack of the BES that you have and server administrator may need to contact RIM support for what to do to allow 3rd part urls.

On the BES follow these steps

Global tab
Edit Properties link
In the Global Properties dialog box, Select IT Policy in the left pane
In the right pane, double-click IT Policies
Find the IT Policy that has been applied to the device and double-click
Select the Security Policy Group in the left pane
In the right pane, double-click Disallow Third Party Application Downloads to change the field to "false".
Apply the policy
Old 05-18-2007, 12:36 PM   #16
LarryH

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Looks really good so far. Traffic info on the maps would be great. Just think, then I could dump Google Maps.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:34 PM   #17
SMF

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabdul View Post
So far the only connectivity issues we see are from users with BES settings and thier server administrators are blocking them from accessing 3rd party urls. The only work around in this case is to ask your server administrator to allow 3rd party applications. Below are steps that server administrators can follow in order to allow third part urls. The steps may differ depending on the version/service pack of the BES that you have and server administrator may need to contact RIM support for what to do to allow 3rd part urls.

That's not going to happen at my company....several applications have figured out how to do it. Beyond411 allows me to manually select my connection - default, BES, or direct and Opera Mini in it's latest incarnation figured out how to automatically test my connection and selected the direct connection to work. Unfortunately Opera Mini doesn't work with 4.2.1 on my 8700g.

SMF

Last edited by SMF; 05-18-2007 at 01:38 PM..
Old 05-18-2007, 02:44 PM   #18
Maverickster
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabdul View Post

On the BES follow these steps

Global tab
Edit Properties link
In the Global Properties dialog box, Select IT Policy in the left pane
In the right pane, double-click IT Policies
Find the IT Policy that has been applied to the device and double-click
Select the Security Policy Group in the left pane
In the right pane, double-click Disallow Third Party Application Downloads to change the field to "false".
Apply the policy
My IT guy followed these steps and "allowed" third party application downloads by changing thei field to "false" and I'm still having the same connection issue problem....

--Mav
Old 05-23-2007, 07:33 PM   #19
fhamilton

PIN: N/A
Unhappy 1.32 did not fix my problem

I am still receiving the connection error on my 8800 after installing version 1.32. I performed an uninstall, then rebooted the 8800 to be sure, then installed the new version. No luck, so what's next?

Fred
Old 05-30-2007, 07:29 PM   #20
bbbforums
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

I had the previous version installed and receved the upgrade available notice from InfoSpace FindIt!

I went to the ota link and downloaded 1.3.2

I then ended up with two versions on my BB 8703e.

I went to applications and removed InfoSpace FindIt!

Now I have my older version still installed.

How can I get rid of the old version now?

Edit:
Found the old instalation module still installed and removed that and now program is removed from my BB.

Last edited by bbbforums; 06-04-2007 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: update
Closed Thread