Old 05-20-2007, 03:53 PM   #1
Mike1138
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Default Thinking about buying a Pearl

Please Login to Remove!

The Pearl is calling my name and I am about to answer it's call but I would love to hear from people who have this phone. I love the size and this is the main reason I would stick with the Pearl instead of the soon to be released Curve. How is the SureType? Is SureType or multi-tap it better than T9 on a standard phone? What are it's strengths? Weaknesses? Reception? For reference I currently have a Razer V3 on Cingular and I want to stay with Cingular.

Also, I used to have a BB 7250 for work so I am somewhat familiar with how a BB works.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:05 PM   #2
Impaler80s
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: 31B54365
Carrier: Sprint

As far as strengths and weakneses, there are plenty of posts covering various opinions on that, so I won't bloviate. However, I am probbaly going to jump ship for a Curve, because I'm not a fan of SureType. Don't get me wrong, it's normally pretty solid. I just have to check messages carefully before I send...and it seems to be stubborn with some words. There is virtually no other reason I'd dump a Pearl (which I'm thrilled with) than the full keyboard. Don't care the Pearl has the 1.3MP camera and Curve has the 2.0MP. If I really need a good picture, I have a digicam for that.

I still think SureType is tons more mature and predicability is better than with T9. But then again, my girlfriend seems to bust out texts to me just as fast I send them to her.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
Willie115
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: mEowmIx

Erm... I have absolutely no problem with Suretype at all... it's not like I look at my thumbs while typing, I look at the screen and it's easy to find errors and you Suretype doesn't make many errors... it's solid. The phone is great, just don't expect it to be the type of phone that has over the net media download type stuffles...
Old 05-20-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
JackyC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Well, haha I actually hate the size of the Pearl and much rather have the bigger size. It's a materialistic thing for me. Anyways, the SureType really isn't that bad. I thought it would have been hard to get used to and be like T9, but it's not. After 2 days of playing with my Pearl, I was typing lightning speeds and faster than my cousin on her Treo (and waay faster than anyone typing on a T9 phone). But once you have weird words to type, then it gets a little difficult. Often times when I try to type something like, "What are you doing? F*ck you"...it'll type out "What see you doing? Duck you"...and especially when you're in a rush and need to type in someone's e-mail and write them something quick.. it takes kinda forever to type out XxXAnGeL-bAbbee_GuRlXxX@hotmail.com...these are the kind of e-mail addresses you get when you're born in 1988.

edit// The camera is actually not bad at all... pretty damn snazzy. As long as there's good lighting, the picture turns out pretty well. But the media player sucks.

Last edited by JackyC; 05-20-2007 at 04:18 PM..
Old 05-20-2007, 04:19 PM   #5
david9962000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9360
Carrier: at&t

Give suretype a week and you will be a Pro!
Old 05-20-2007, 04:24 PM   #6
Mike1138

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackyC View Post
it takes kinda forever to type out XxXAnGeL-bAbbee_GuRlXxX@hotmail.com...these are the kind of e-mail addresses you get when you're born in 1988.
LOL, that's awesome!!
Old 05-20-2007, 06:49 PM   #7
LaTuFu
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 23FA4D95
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

The size is great, to me. It took me a couple of days to get used to SureType, now it works great for me. I am very happy with it.

I converted from a Razr, I had wanted a Smartphone for a while but didn't like the size of the previous Berry phones, and Windows Mobile devices are way too unstable (and just as bulky) for me.

The reception is just as good if not better than the Razr. You'll love the battery life compared to a Razr. A little more customizable than the Razr too, as far as ringtones, themes, etc.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:53 PM   #8
kwinnton

Model: 8810
PIN: 23F11D78
Carrier: T-Mobile

I've been all over the place from regular phone, to S60, to Windows Mobile and finally to BB. From my experience the Pearl is the best I've had to date. Suretype really is no problem, you really do pick it up quick. The BB UI is by far the easiest and most intuitive to use. The size is just perfect
Old 05-20-2007, 10:57 PM   #9
pearl-8100

PIN: 23e25795
Carrier: t-mobile

I love the pearl. The suretype is extremely easy to use. I say go for the pearl unless u would like to have something that is a little bit more of an upgrade but I heard the next generation pearl is coming so I say get the pearl and when the next generation one comes out u can get that!
Old 05-21-2007, 01:12 AM   #10
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1138 View Post
The Pearl is calling my name and I am about to answer it's call but I would love to hear from people who have this phone. I love the size and this is the main reason I would stick with the Pearl instead of the soon to be released Curve.
Since this is the Pearl section you are most likely going to get mostly pro Pearl responses.

When it comes down to it, how one uses a phone is particular to that person.

For example, some people know how to use SureType and love it. Others cannot figure it out and will swear it off and suggest getting a BB with a full keyboard.

For some people, size is everything, so the smaller the phone, the better. To them, the full size phones are bricks. And yet other members may have big fingers, so typing on the Pearl is difficult.

IMHO there are so many variables that getting an opinion that matches your needs and desires will be difficult.

I suggest you buy the Pearl and try it out for the few weeks to 30 days that carriers permit as a trial period. If you don't like it, simply return it with no questions asked.

Check to make sure what your carrier's trial period is. They vary from a couple weeks to 30 days, AFAIK.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:09 PM   #11
shawnc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: cingular

I'm by no means an expert, but I'll give my opinion. Suretype is great. If you monitor letter by letter, then it can be problematic. If (and I just realized this) however you finish typing your word, it will often figure out the correct word. I love this aspect of the Pearl. It has far exceeded my expectations. As much as I love the Pearl, there are two things that would keep me from re-purchasing. One, it doesn't look as though I'll be able to use the new 4G MSD cards, which is huge for me since I use the Pearl essentially to replace my NANO. Also, no stereo BT would be a deal-breaker for me if I had understood what that meant prior to purchasing. Bottom-line, I love the Pearl, but the 2 points I mentioned make it feel as though it's yesterday's technology. If you can deal with the extra size, I'd go with the Curve.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:51 PM   #12
beyondalegend
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnc View Post
One, it doesn't look as though I'll be able to use the new 4G MSD cards, which is huge for me since I use the Pearl essentially to replace my NANO.
Dude that card cost as much as the Pearl itself(2yr Contract)!lol..
Old 05-22-2007, 05:08 PM   #13
shawnc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondalegend View Post
Dude that card cost as much as the Pearl itself(2yr Contract)!lol..
Your point???.............Dude!
Old 05-22-2007, 05:13 PM   #14
GaryF
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

As a former 7520 (nextel) user I love the size and although it took time I am at least comfortable with SureType. For me the screen was a big step up as well, bright and easy to read. I cannot imagine going back the the more traditional BB with QWERTY.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:51 PM   #15
JayTizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1138 View Post
The Pearl is calling my name and I am about to answer it's call but I would love to hear from people who have this phone. I love the size and this is the main reason I would stick with the Pearl instead of the soon to be released Curve. How is the SureType? Is SureType or multi-tap it better than T9 on a standard phone? What are it's strengths? Weaknesses? Reception? For reference I currently have a Razer V3 on Cingular and I want to stay with Cingular.

Also, I used to have a BB 7250 for work so I am somewhat familiar with how a BB works.

Size is nice, but I'm still bolting for the Curve the day it's released. As a former 8700g user, it didn't take long to adjust to the Pearl size. If you can hold out for the Pearl 2 in September, you may even be more happy with your purchase.
Closed Thread