Old 05-29-2007, 07:12 PM   #1
frseattle
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: TOUR
Carrier: Verizon
Default 8300 TMO vs AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

If the 8300 is being released this Thursday (May 31st) and they have exclusive for 90 days, there is no way I am going to wait that long to be released for TMO. Can someone shed a light on pros and cons of buying a AT&T 8300 (I am with TMO) and unlocking it to be used for TMO? Also, what does it take to unlock a blackberry (method, price, and time frame if any)? HELP!

I just don't understand why RIM is still jerking us around with the exclusive deals. Just sell it too all!!
Old 05-29-2007, 07:36 PM   #2
NCBuckeye
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: 4.6
Carrier: AT&T

Money talks.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
mogrefy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

I'm in the same boat - considering purchasing an AT&T branded and unlocking in order to use with my employers T-Mobile service they provide me (they just bought me a PEARL, I won't be able to get a comped Curve).

I'd have to assume (making an as* of you and me) that it will have to be configured to work with the t-mo internet portal, and it will lack the "configure email" functionality that comes with t-mo branded blackberry's (i.e. opening the my-tmobile portal for adding email addresses)?

Obviously it will have AT&T direct talk functionality that doesn't work with t-mo and I'd think it wont work with "MyFaves" due to lack of software (Charles B. won't be unlocking an AT&T to use with t-mobile).

That's what I can think of right now - can anyone confirm or think of anything else that won't be accessible using an AT&T branded 8300 on T-Mobile?

In researching the AT&T option I found that GSMPhoneSource appears to be advertising the ability to unlock any 8300 for $57.99...

Remote Unlocking By IMEI For Any Blackberry Regardless of Carrier or Country Its From ( Includes Curve, 8100, 8300, 8700, 8707, 8800, Pearl & All Others )

GSM PhoneSource - When Only The Best Will Do
Old 05-29-2007, 09:52 PM   #4
bucketmouth
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon 5.0.0.xxx

echo that....no way im waiting 90 days.....be buying a att and getting it unlocked.......58 bucks to unlock is kinda steep! hopin that price goes down, only paid 20 bucks to unlock my girls 8800
Old 05-29-2007, 10:11 PM   #5
MasterJedi

Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

Not trying to hijack the thread, but those of you who are with TMO, ohw many of you are going to buy the 8300 from cingular, unlock it, and use it for Tmo.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:41 PM   #6
mogrefy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterJedi View Post
Not trying to hijack the thread, but those of you who are with TMO, ohw many of you are going to buy the 8300 from cingular, unlock it, and use it for Tmo.
I'm seriously considering it. I'll be watching Ebay as well as considering buying it without contract from at&t or letstalk.com
Old 05-29-2007, 11:10 PM   #7
MasterJedi

Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrefy View Post
I'm seriously considering it. I'll be watching Ebay as well as considering buying it without contract from at&t or letstalk.com
I am highly considering it as well. Cingular's BB unlimited plan is ridiculous.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:47 AM   #8
ARHYTHMATIK
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none

Yeah- 90 days is insane. There's no way I'm waiting that long. My only hope is that the 90 day exclusive is on the 8300, but not on an 8320 (with wifi)-- but that's pretty much wishful thinking- considering RIM said expect wifi later this year (i.e. Pearl 2).

So yeah-- I'll definitely be getting an unlocked Curve.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:08 AM   #9
sjsilverman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile & China Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrefy View Post
Obviously it will have AT&T direct talk functionality that doesn't work with t-mo and I'd think it wont work with "MyFaves" due to lack of software (Charles B. won't be unlocking an AT&T to use with t-mobile).

That's what I can think of right now - can anyone confirm or think of anything else that won't be accessible using an AT&T branded 8300 on T-Mobile?
Until T-Mo releases the 8300 or variant, you will not be able to download the IPPP foir BIBS service book. I don't know all the functionality you lose due to this, but on my unsupported 7130g, I only have the WAP browser, and I've lost some ability to open and play multimedia attachments that I was able to on my 7105t. Not major deals here, but more like annoyances. After T-Mo releases it, and it becomes "supported", you will be able to push all the service books.

though it will be a long haul, I'm gonna wait. 90 days is worth it to get an upgrade price!
Closed Thread