John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzikan
i asked telenav and they stated they do not handle any gps receivers that are not their brand!!

I'd be very surprised if this was true. TeleNav has always worked with just about all BT pucks.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:38 PM   #42
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdposhkus View Post
I ordered the Telenav puck from the Cingy site to see if it behaves the same way. I called a few stores in my area and nobody had one they are all on BO. I spoke with a (seemingly) knowledgeble sales person, she has the pearl and the tele-puck and the newest version of telenav (she even knew it ended in 29) and she says it just plain works. I wonder if the rogers OS i am rockin is the fly in the ointment.
Might be. I was unable to pair my Royal Tek with it but that was only a test. The Internal GPS on the 8800 works fine, but it may be the OS as I am using the Rogers one too.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:58 AM   #43
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Hard to believe they would do that on purpose. Hopefully there is a fix coming.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:21 AM   #44
jdposhkus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW

My Telenav (BT-359 didn't buy from them thought) puck was shipped next-day, so I should have it by monday. Ill post up with the results. On a side note, I have a friend that has a Treo (more of a colleague actually, as friends dont let friends carry treos) but that is a nother matter, he spoke with the fine folks at telenav when he was having trouble with his non-TN puck and they said that they dont support other pucks....
2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2008
Old 06-09-2007, 02:10 PM   #45
kuzikan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: 24273E13
Carrier: ATT

ok, since i am in the industry maybe i am saying the wrong words here. I think they(telenav) meant they dont offer customer support for other pucks. Meaning they will not help you trouble shoot a problem with a different manufacture of BT GPS puck. Not that the software is not compatible with other pucks. Sorry if i made it seem that they were incompatible.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:35 PM   #46
jonlevine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

I too am having the same issue with the latest version of Telenav and my puck (some no-name puck I got off of Geeks.com with a SiRF Star III chipset). The puck works fine with BB Maps and had no problem with Telenav 4.7. But, as soon as I upgraded to 5.1, nothing.

I appreciate Telenav's position on not troubleshooting any pucks but their own. With so many on the market, they cannot. However, I will say that this doesn't seem to be a puck issue. The puck pairs. The puck works with other programs on the BB. The puck worked with the older version of their software. Obviously, something in their new version changed and caused it to stop working.

C'mon Telenav, show me that my $9.99/month isn't going to waste.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:30 PM   #47
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t

I just drove 3 hours with the BT 359 connected to my pearl w/ 5.1.029, and it stayed connected the entire time. Same thing on Friday night - 3 hours, 0 disconnects. My hotel wasn't in the POI directory, but that's another issue.

Edit: I have the newest Rogers OS.

Last edited by Spamdumpster; 06-11-2007 at 12:09 PM..
Old 06-10-2007, 06:08 PM   #48
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlevine View Post
I too am having the same issue with the latest version of Telenav and my puck (some no-name puck I got off of Geeks.com with a SiRF Star III chipset). The puck works fine with BB Maps and had no problem with Telenav 4.7. But, as soon as I upgraded to 5.1, nothing.

I appreciate Telenav's position on not troubleshooting any pucks but their own. With so many on the market, they cannot. However, I will say that this doesn't seem to be a puck issue. The puck pairs. The puck works with other programs on the BB. The puck worked with the older version of their software. Obviously, something in their new version changed and caused it to stop working.

C'mon Telenav, show me that my $9.99/month isn't going to waste.
Has anyone confirmed this isn't an OS issue? I am on Rodgers. Does anyone have this working with the ATT OS?
Old 06-11-2007, 11:09 AM   #49
7100simpleisbetter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8120
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: TMobile

All,

Using Rogers latest OS on T-Mo I found that the Multi-Continental version of Telenav works with the HOLUX 240. You can get it here (for North American users) but it is version 4 just a later revision at 4.8.x.

http://ota.telenav.com/ota/mcna/

It is very slow and a lot of hour glasses until you get the route but it works. This buys them about another 1-2 weeks IMHO to get 5.1.x working on Rogers before I cancel. Also, I noticed that Biz Finder can't identify the current location but Routes, Mapping Current Location, Compass all work alright but slow.

Good luck and hope this helps someone.

SIB
Old 06-11-2007, 11:19 AM   #50
w4raw

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile

They just lost me with this one line found on the Telenav general forum:

"Third-party GPS receivers are not supported for use with TeleNav. For best results, use a TeleNav GPS Receiver purchased through the TeleNav Store."

When I signed up, I was told my GPS unit was fine, and it did indeed work. Still works like a champ with BBMaps and Google Maps, in fact. Now I'm told this? I don't accept that as an answer and frankly have had enough of this poor excuse for customer service from the Telenav folks.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #51
7100simpleisbetter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8120
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: TMobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4raw View Post

"Third-party GPS receivers are not supported for use with TeleNav. For best results, use a TeleNav GPS Receiver purchased through the TeleNav Store."

When I signed up, I was told my GPS unit was fine, and it did indeed work. Still works like a champ with BBMaps and Google Maps, in fact. Now I'm told this? I don't accept that as an answer and frankly have had enough of this poor excuse for customer service from the Telenav folks.
PREACH ON!!!! I agree, free applications seem to have better support and statements like the one your refer to will inevitably be the end of Telenav if they don't change their attitude towards customer support!!!! Others are developing apps that will replace their functionality in short order and customers won't put up with this attitude for much longer!!!
Old 06-12-2007, 08:52 AM   #52
jdposhkus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Default GPS saga ends....

To recap the Navigation saga:
8100 on Cingy>>Rogers OS>>TN 5.1
Never able to get any Nav aps (TN, Berry Maps, Google Maps to work well/at all with a Holux GPSlim 240. I have ordered a BT-359 to try.

Yesterday Mr. Fed-Ex brought me a BT-359 Puck. I charged it, paired it, deleted the Holux jumped in the car to find open sky and....NO LOVE. Same Invalid BT receiver message and weak GPS signal message as with my Holux.
So I shouted a few profanities, jumped up and down like a 5 year old girl and went back to my office to delete-reinstall, re-pair and re-coffee.

Some time laterafter a reinstall of 5.1 and a repair of the devices...

Low and behold...the BT359 connected like a champ.

Here is the kicker....

Now the Holux works too!!

I tried everything to get that sucker to work, I must have deleted uninstalled and re-paired like 400 times. I will say that the BT 359 does appear to work a bit better. The holux when paired, and in TN throws my Jabra JX-10 into a frenzy of connected and disconnected states throughout the entire Nav session. The BT-359 does not, and I find the audible directions in the headset a nice addition, now I can have tunes going or the roof open and not have to hold the berry next to my ear to here the lady tell me where to turn. So the Holux 240 will be going back, too bad really wanted to love it due to its size, and portability factor (read lose-a-bility factor) but the BT-359 is not overly large. I like the improvements to 5.1, the lack of SureType support is a let-down though.
At any rate it is working, so I will shell out the 9.99 PM to TN for the time being.
2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2008
Old 06-12-2007, 09:55 AM   #53
pbaird

Model: 8700g

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4raw View Post

The key is "one line". How many posts in their forums have one line responses that merely say "blah blah blah is not supported with Telenav"?

I've never bashed them before, but they have had more than enough time to post a sticky on their forums and say "yep, you guys are right, there's a problem with other gps pucks, and we're working on it right now". They won't even acknowledge a problem. Even if they did, they like to pretend that the support folks work in a bubble and don't have any idea what the rest of the company is up to.

I'm going to start the tedious process of cancelling them today. I'd like to know when Wayfinder is hoping to release v7 for 8700, but I can't get a response from them either.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #54
w4raw

Model: 8800

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaird View Post
The key is "one line". How many posts in their forums have one line responses that merely say "blah blah blah is not supported with Telenav"?
Exactly! It seems to be a recurring theme on the support forums over there. The guy I spoke to about closing my account even chuckled about it when I politely pointed it out. This could have all been set right with a simple admission that there is indeed a known problem and that it is being looked into. The "we do not support..." party line just wont cut it at $10 a month when there are free alternatives (Granted not as feature rich as TN, but then again, features that I can't use are, well.... useless).

Best all!

Scott
Old 06-12-2007, 09:25 PM   #55
blakeatl
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I'd be very surprised if this was true. TeleNav has always worked with just about all BT pucks.
They told me the same thing today. I can't for the life of me get my Holux 236b to work with Telenav. Program looks so nice too.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:00 PM   #56
digidep
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-moblie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeatl View Post
They told me the same thing today. I can't for the life of me get my Holux 236b to work with Telenav. Program looks so nice too.
This seems like a ploy to sell more GPS units. Get people hooked, support internal GPS because the carriers pay them to, then only support your "valid" devices.

Sounds like something Microsoft would do.

digidep
Old 06-12-2007, 10:16 PM   #57
blakeatl
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidep View Post
This seems like a ploy to sell more GPS units. Get people hooked, support internal GPS because the carriers pay them to, then only support your "valid" devices.

Sounds like something Microsoft would do.

digidep
Well I sure for one will cancel my subscription if they don't correct this soon. It's a great app, but I can find my way without voice prompts if need be.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:09 AM   #58
pbaird

Model: 8700g

Wayfinder just replied to me in email that version 7 should be out in the next few weeks, and if I buy version 6 now, the upgrade will be free.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:59 AM   #59
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Anyone try their "other" GPS pucks and TeleNav and the new OS version 4.2.1.96 just released yesterday? Someone please try and post back here.

Sticky thread in the 8100 forum has the link to the OS.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:41 AM   #60
buggle_96
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650

Cancelled my subscription. They tried to argue and say my 8700g isnt a supported device, but how can someone support a t-mobile pearl an 8700 from cingular and say a 8700g from tmo isnt supported.
Closed Thread