BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 09:55 AM   #1
Fortierj

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Just got my curve 5 mins ago and im already pissed

Please Login to Remove!

I havent even gotten to really try it out yet but the rubber grip on the right side is kind of loose, not really loose but it moves when i grip it, similar to the back panel on the pearl. Anyone else find this an issue?
Old 06-19-2007, 10:09 AM   #2
abell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: "The New" AT&T\Old Cingular (previously had T-Mobile)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortierj View Post
I havent even gotten to really try it out yet but the rubber grip on the right side is kind of loose, not really loose but it moves when i grip it, similar to the back panel on the pearl. Anyone else find this an issue?
1) It's been noted like 100 times.

2) It's plastic, plastic expands and contracts so isn't firm.

3) If you don't like it take it back and keep your legacy model instead.

4) Not rude, just reality.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
A-Train

Model: Curve
Carrier: Cing

This seems to be a common issue... mine isn't loose but there is a very slight flexing -- maybe .5mm max and no panel gaps of any kind -- you can feel the flexing by pushing in the black right-side plastic area between the right convenience key and the lower-volume key. On my Curve, the flexing is only felt in that specific area and in-out only. It does not flex or shift lengthwise or depthwise.

This looseness is the only build-quality issue on my Curve (if it can even be considered a BQI), but I never would have noticed it if not for others on this forum pointing it out... I use my berry with my left hand so I don't come into contact with that side of the berry, anyway, and for anyone it shouldn't be noticeable if the device is skinned.

Last edited by A-Train; 06-19-2007 at 10:25 AM..
Old 06-19-2007, 10:29 AM   #4
Fortierj

Quote:
Originally Posted by abell View Post
1) It's been noted like 100 times.

2) It's plastic, plastic expands and contracts so isn't firm.

3) If you don't like it take it back and keep your legacy model instead.

4) Not rude, just reality.
I never saw the issue on the boards, if i did i wouldnt have been redundant with it, my b. Im a person who kind of likes the latest thing (still considering the iPhone) so i dont see myself taking this back. It makes me feel better knowing its a common issue, if it was just mine id be upset. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:47 AM   #5
abell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: "The New" AT&T\Old Cingular (previously had T-Mobile)

Quote:
I never saw the issue on the boards, if i did i wouldnt have been redundant with it, my b. Im a person who kind of likes the latest thing (still considering the iPhone) so i dont see myself taking this back. It makes me feel better knowing its a common issue, if it was just mine id be upset. Thanks for the info.
iPhone = Consumer

Curve = Business (and select individual consumers)

If you want a device that'll securely hook into your corp email and look decent the Curve is for you. If you only use pop3 or just personal email then the iPhone blows it away... But for me it's all about email... don't need my phone to make me breakfast... need a phone that kicks azz doin emails, and BB does it
Old 06-19-2007, 10:52 AM   #6
mac443
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

pop the back off , rip a piece of envelope paper into a small half, pop it in on the side
Old 06-19-2007, 10:59 AM   #7
Noekozz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: att/verizon

I too had the same issue as you, as have many others here on the forum. I fortunately received another Curve from At&t (they had messed up my order to begin with), and the one I have now does not have any issues at all as far as build. Try exchanging for another unit if it really bothers you.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile

I also exchanged mine last friday. And I'm not having any issues with right side looseness ..I was on the last model. So maybe it's been fixed!
Old 06-19-2007, 06:13 PM   #9
Fortierj

Did you get your phone at a store? i ordered my online through att through my company. I was reading up and it seems that I would have to mail it back and have to wait for another one. If i could physically return it at a store that would be better. Ill have to talk to a sales rep tomorrow or something.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:15 PM   #10
John-Fox
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T Mobility

Quote:
I do not recall seeing this mentioned in previous posts either. Do not sweat it, Fortierj.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:43 PM   #11
ivada
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
It's a phone...
Old 06-20-2007, 01:47 AM   #12
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Don't take it personally Fortierj, some people are just into the stop complaining game, and stop it's only a phone! As per your question, yeah it's a some what common thing on the Curve right now with the rubber sides by the volume key! Some people got play, and some don't! You can solve it with the one you have by taking a tiny piece of paper and folding it in two, and inserting it right into the rubber where it's loose! Or just return it, what ever floats your boat! But just so you know, your not alone in noticing these things!
Old 06-20-2007, 05:30 AM   #13
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800

fwiw, mine had the looseness out of the box too.

Same place.

The problem has not gotten any worse.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:35 AM   #14
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Have you noticed if the phone works or it does great email? You likely got one of Sean76's 6 or 7 rejects. <vbg>
Old 06-20-2007, 10:13 AM   #15
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
Have you noticed if the phone works or it does great email? You likely got one of Sean76's 6 or 7 rejects. <vbg>

Oh yea, that's it!!!
You must have gotten one of my bad phones, silly us! Hey Greg, don't be jealous because you can't do as many exchanges as meee! You may call me the master swaper (lol). And it would be 6 rejects, on my 7th and it's perfecto...
Old 06-20-2007, 12:39 PM   #16
Naked Wife
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: SPRINT

That kind of flexing and creaking really drive me up the wall too. Yeah its just a phone made of plastic which bends, but I need the damn thing to feel well put together too. It has to or I'll take it apart and insulate it with paper or whatever until it feels right. If RF or function wasnt affected, I would love to see a titanium Blackberry. Really rough looking like they dragged it from a car on the highway, but tight.

I also agree that if it bothers you too much, return it. No sense in being pissed about your phone when there are so many options these days.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:09 PM   #17
bigdave
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by abell View Post
iPhone = Consumer

Curve = Business (and select individual consumers)
I thought the Curve was Consumer as well since it has the cam and the 8800 was pure business.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:15 PM   #18
Fortierj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave View Post
I thought the Curve was Consumer as well since it has the cam and the 8800 was pure business.
I use my 8300 for the BES (among other things) for my work. The reason main reason i chose it over the 8800 was the keyboard. 8800 gave me a bad feeling when looking at the keyboard. Overall im very happy with the 8300. If i didnt have these two flaws (if you can call them that) id be ecstatic. Still, i got transferred through customer service 3x only to find out id have to ship it out, and get a new one shipped to me with the risk of it having the same defect. Not worth it enough to me, ill become used to it. Thanks for everyone's help...even though i opened up the back and im not sure where i would put a piece of folded paper to alieve the side.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:48 PM   #19
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac443 View Post
pop the back off , rip a piece of envelope paper into a small half, pop it in on the side
The play in the side was bothering me and I just opened up the back and slipped a small piece of a business card in the gap. It's now solid as a rock.
Closed Thread