BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 02:40 PM   #1
dfreem

Model: none
Default GroupWise 6.5 to 7290...

Please Login to Remove!

No BES.

How do I use my GW mail, ect with my new 7290?

Thanks!
dan
Old 05-20-2005, 04:31 PM   #2
EGottlieb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone UK

I don't know about 6.5, but I know that Groupwise 6.0 does not do a proper "forward". Hopefully your mail admin has POP3 enabled and you can pull your e-mails through the Blackberry Web Client.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:57 PM   #3
mark.hogan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: tmobile
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGottlieb
I don't know about 6.5, but I know that Groupwise 6.0 does not do a proper "forward". Hopefully your mail admin has POP3 enabled and you can pull your e-mails through the Blackberry Web Client.
OK class once again...
I suppose you are using the BWC mailbox - if so and your intent is to forward GW mail to the BB BWC mailbox...
in groupwise
goto rules
new rule
when anything comes in
DELEGATE that item to "your mailbox address"

You must use delegate in order to see attachments, and the body of most messages. If you simply use forward gw encloses the mail message as an attachment, but you can not view that attachment. The delegate function allows you to view attachments, and all mail messages, with the exception of certain html messages.
The big issue to all this is that the delegate function strips off the cc/bcc lines.
The next question will be, How do I reply to the message?
For starters you set the bwc mail return address to your gw account right?
OK so you've successfully delegated the mail to your bb
Now youxxx8217;ve happily opened your message, and want to reply. But its replying to you (it was delegated what do you expect)

After clicking reply
Scroll wheel up to the TO: line, click the wheel, scroll down to change address, open up the address book and select the addressee.
The thing here is you need to populate your address book with the people that send you mail.
To do this quickly before reply to in the message text you will see the senders address without your @xx.xxxx.xx.xx highlight that and copy it.
Once you have selected reply to, change address add the contact to your address bookxxx8230;
We are not done
You have successfully added the correct address, but your @xxx.blackberry.net address in vulnerable nowxxx8230;
Select the text of the message and copy it, click the scroll wheel and select delete original message.
Type your reply and add your signature from autotext (you had a couple of extra returns under your sig right?)
Click paste
Click send
Its not really as bad as it sounds, and I can do the whole thing at 75 on the two lane, but its not for the meek at heartxxx61514;

We use GW6.5.something here at work, and this is the knowledge I gained by some help here and lotsa of looking around and playing with the device.

After about 6 months I finally got lucky and we are getting a BES in two weeks. I canxxx8217;t wait.
There is one more thing. In mail/options/email reconciliation set it to delete on mailbox and handheld, and handheld wins. I get between 5 and 40 meg of mail per day (lotsa attachments) so I have to manually reconcile, and delete all the time. My GW guys still tell me that on the heavy days many of the big bulls never reach my handheld, but I see almost everything.

Its not perfect but it does work very well. I hope this made enough sense to help you, if not drop me a note or ask more questions.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:50 AM   #4
EGottlieb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Mark,

You are kidding, right? Why would I want to go through all of that effort for every e-mail that I reply to on my Blackberry when I can just use the POP3 feature and have it work without effort. Only downside is not having the e-mail "instantly." Maybe it is different for you, but if anyone needs to reach me that quickly or importantly, they call, PIN (if they also have a BB) or SMS.

Thanks for the suggestion, though

-Eric
Old 05-21-2005, 08:13 PM   #5
zuf
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

If you have access to configure the GroupWise GWIA (or can get your system admin to do it for you), you can easily solve the forwarded as an attachment problem that Mark describes in his post. Adding the line "/FLATFWD" to the gwia.cfg file will cause the GWIA to strip off the extra attachment when a message is forwarded without editing it. With that switch in place, you can follow Mark's instructions to create a rule but go ahead and create a forward rule instead of a delegate rule. Because of the /flatfwd switch on the gateway, you'll receive an e-mail on your BlackBerry that includes the original sender's e-mail address and you can simply hit reply to reply--no need to use the addressbook.

FLATFWD is documented in the GroupWise documentation and a handful of TIDs in Novell's knowledgebase.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:54 PM   #6
EGottlieb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuf
If you have access to configure the GroupWise GWIA (or can get your system admin to do it for you), you can easily solve the forwarded as an attachment problem that Mark describes in his post. Adding the line "/FLATFWD" to the gwia.cfg file will cause the GWIA to strip off the extra attachment when a message is forwarded without editing it. With that switch in place, you can follow Mark's instructions to create a rule but go ahead and create a forward rule instead of a delegate rule. Because of the /flatfwd switch on the gateway, you'll receive an e-mail on your BlackBerry that includes the original sender's e-mail address and you can simply hit reply to reply--no need to use the addressbook.
But... will that work for internal e-mail as well?
Old 05-21-2005, 10:33 PM   #7
Bunker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

Quote:
For Groupwise now you can get a Groupwise BES which is the best solution of all.

Bunker
Old 05-21-2005, 10:41 PM   #8
EGottlieb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker
For Groupwise now you can get a Groupwise BES which is the best solution of all.
Yes, but at this point my company is not even running GW 6.5. If it were simply the $4K for the BES software, that's one thing. Unfortunately, there are other upgrades that need to be performed first. We just started looking at the Blackberry as a solution this year. Without going in to the details, it is likely 1-2 years out before we did a larger deployment including BES.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:50 PM   #9
zuf
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Yes. The flatfwd switch gets rid of the empty e-mail containing only an attachment that occurs whenever a message is forwarded by rule. It doesn't matter whether the message originated internal or external. It only has to pass through the GWIA after the forward rule. Since in this case we're talking about e-mail being forwarded from GroupWise to a BlackBerry web-client account, the requirement to hit the GWIA will be satisfied.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:52 AM   #10
EGottlieb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuf
Yes. The flatfwd switch gets rid of the empty e-mail containing only an attachment that occurs whenever a message is forwarded by rule. It doesn't matter whether the message originated internal or external. It only has to pass through the GWIA after the forward rule. Since in this case we're talking about e-mail being forwarded from GroupWise to a BlackBerry web-client account, the requirement to hit the GWIA will be satisfied.
Had our GW admin add the switch and it works. Thanks!

-Eric
Old 06-08-2005, 09:48 PM   #11
mark.hogan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: tmobile

I wish I knew about the switch...but its cool cause we just bought the BES server.
Of course we got a new it guy that made the city buy it...all my work got me a space on the bes, cool!
Eric
Our gw dude is a security minded guy that refused to allow pop, hed he done so I would have been fine. Working for several agencies I have some tha pop, some that dont. So ifn ya wants ya mail ya work around it.