Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
larilu

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Question Verizon 8830 vs Motorola q / NEED HELP

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, Just signed on to the forum. Need advise & help, I was all set to pick up the motorola q (the new version coming out soon) However, I just saw the 8830 world phone at my local verizon and it looks terrific. Can someone give me input as to the differences other than the fact of no camera, which is no concern to me. The Blackberry 8830 looks and feels like a better product. I am locked into verizon due to my other phones (family share plan). Thanks for any help or advise......It is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
cwosigns
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9300
Carrier: AT&T

I'll give it a shot.

I've used Windows Mobile devices before, but I always keep coming back to the BlackBerry. The reason I do is that email and phone features are the two most important things I look for in a phone. I have occasionally been lured away to the Windows Mobile side by the multimedia features. But now that the 8830 (I own it) has a decent multimedia application to handle music, pictures, videos and ringtones...I'm not so tempted anymore.

The 8830 has GREAT email capabilities, mediocre web browsing ability, good phone features, and mediocre multimedia features.

The Q has mediocre email, mediocre web browsing, good phone features and good multimedia capabilities.

It all boils down to what you need the most. But I LOVE my 8830.
Columbus, Ohio
Old 07-07-2007, 09:19 PM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Also, the Q is Windows Mobile, prone to random reboots for no reason. More 3rd party apps for PIMS and other applications.

The BB OS is rock solid. Fewer 3rd party apps. What you see is what you get. Must have a BB dataplan.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:32 PM   #4
mundyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

Never having owned a Q I can only speak intelligently on one half of your question. But I have had two different BB's and a boat load of other phones, too many to mention, like most other phone enthusiasts. The BB is one of the best phones I have ever owned, it is also great at email. The main reason I switched from the 8703e to the 8830 was for the voice dialing feature. It's not quite as good as the Motorola voice dialing, but it works. The multimedia features add a Cool Factor to the phone, but not much else.

Bottom line is that if you need a solid phone with some great email and contact handling (being able to dial a phone number from a Google search then add it to your contacts is just cool) then the BB is for you.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:07 AM   #5
JaredH
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650

To start off, I am what you call "that guy." I purchased the Q because it looks sexy but found out that it really was too slow and it really did have a terrible battery. I'm assuming you can always get the extended battery but it takes away from it's form factor.

Personally having owned the Q for a week before I turned to the 8830, I hated the Q. I also don't use the word "hate" much. I always like when people write long replys to my treads so I'll give you a lovely little story of mine.

So I have my Q, and I'm all excited. The gym happened to be closed early that day so I decided to use my home gym in my basement. I head down there and I started getting txt messages. As im exchanging txts the phone just cant keep up, neither with the buttons in-order to reply or the typing itself. The lag was so bad that I would hit the buttons and think I didnt and than I would go to hit them again and it would open some other app and uhhhh, nightmare. So I'm all sweaty as im trying to type quick responces so I don't miss my rest between lifting sets and it keeps lagging and finally I had to reply with a "i'll get back to you later, sorry." I ended up missing each set by almost 30 sec...yuk. The phone just couldnt handle heavy usage.

The one thing I liked about the Q is the ability to stream XM radio. But the buggy, unprofessional feel sent me packing.

Coming from being "that guy" that thought the battery would last and it wouldnt be buggy and I'll be the exception to all the Q issues, I send this message on to you: buy the 8830 and be merry.

The 8830 is very solid and much, much faster opening programs. I love the apps for the BB's as well. They're more business based but the 8830 gives you some media capability which is awesome.

Q
Old 07-08-2007, 08:59 AM   #6
nlk10010
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Default I might as well throw in my $.02...

Right now I am trying both the 8830 and the Q (from a BB8700 on T-Mo).

I am not interested in MM or, really, third-party apps. I live by e-mail and like to web browse and, of course, need good quality coverage.

The 8830 is a beautiful piece of work, solid, rich-looking case, bright screen, extremely well thought-out software. Its OS is "solid", although it has problems as well; e.g. sometimes I'll get no data coverage so I'll need to remove/replace the battery (hence, I consider this a manual version of the random reboot). Also, the need arises occasionally to resend service books and the LED coverage indicator will go out for no reason. No deal breakers but if you're expecting no problems with the OS you'll be disappointed with any device, including the BB 8830.

I WANT to like the Q: ActiveSync push mail would give me what the BB BIS doesn't: OTA sync of my contacts, calendar and tasks AS WELL AS e-mail. I like the Q's look and feel. The problem is, even though there is room for improvement with the BB THERE'S NO WAY I CAN LIVE WITH THE Q. Random reboots (OK, we'll call it a tie with the 8830) are a problem but AS/Push simply DOES NOT WORK RELIABLY with the Q. I had tried an AT&T 8525 and the Push worked flawlessly, but with the Q it's hit-and-miss. There is no way to close certain programs so they remain in memory and need to be manually killed. The battery is almost IMPOSSIBLE to remove with anything short of a scalpel. There are too few symbols on the keys and it's difficult to type with them (personal preference). No visual indicators of mail waiting. The IE browser won't even go to certain WAP sites (e.g. howardforums). Yes the Q has its advantages but, as much as I want to like it, I can't.

Perhaps the new Q will be better (with a later version of WM and a new ROM) but I really have no choice. I have to choose one of these two and the 8830 is clearly the lesser of the two evils.

Good Luck with your decision.

=NLK=

Last edited by nlk10010; 07-08-2007 at 09:01 AM..
Old 07-08-2007, 12:44 PM   #7
hooper610
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by larilu View Post
Hi, Just signed on to the forum. Need advise & help, I was all set to pick up the motorola q (the new version coming out soon) However, I just saw the 8830 world phone at my local verizon and it looks terrific. Can someone give me input as to the differences other than the fact of no camera, which is no concern to me. The Blackberry 8830 looks and feels like a better product. I am locked into verizon due to my other phones (family share plan). Thanks for any help or advise......It is greatly appreciated.
What are your primary uses for the phone? I have both and use both of them all the time.

Like others have mentioned the multimedia functions of the Q are what make it stand apart from the Blackberry. I would completely drop the Q if the 8830 worked with my slingbox and sirius satellite radio.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #8
cdw5510
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Hello there,

Being a tech guy and having prob almost every phone on the planet, this is my first BB 8830. I came from a Moto Q and I like the BB so much better.

Cons of the Q:

Battery lasts about 3/4 of a day with 50 emails a day and some internet browsing.

Email: Push email so you get it on a polling rate, such as every 15 mins and it doesnt support some email accts such as gmail.

Apps: They worked to a point however sometimes the phone would freeze on something and would have to reboot. This to me was normal as you dont leave your PC running for weeks and expect it to work all the time...

Overall, I would get eh BB as it has lots of better business features. I have come over to the dark side and like it.

C
Old 07-08-2007, 08:37 PM   #9
larilu

Model: Curve
Carrier: verizon
Default Thanx For Everyones Help/advice !!!

Thanks for everyone's replies, I think I'll give the 8830 a try !!!
Old 07-08-2007, 08:49 PM   #10
cdw5510
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by larilu View Post
Thanks for everyone's replies, I think I'll give the 8830 a try !!!
I am sure you will like it.

C
Old 07-08-2007, 09:03 PM   #11
dclawyer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830

The BB just works. Sometimes you do have to take the battery out and put it back in (maybe once or twice a month). Otherwise mine is just on 24/7 and works fine. Nothing to do but send and receive emails and calls.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:17 AM   #12
Stanleys mom

Model: none
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwosigns View Post
The 8830 has GREAT email capabilities, mediocre web browsing ability, good phone features, and mediocre multimedia features. .

Which BB is THE BEST for web browsing?
Closed Thread