Old 07-07-2007, 06:52 PM   #1
jgallego13
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Curve Exchange *Update*

Please Login to Remove!

So I just got back from exchanging my 2 week old curve after the 1st one would constantly reboot while browsing the net on the device. After first getting a feel for the new device that the rep at the store gave me, it felt different! It just felt heavier and more solid. As if it were better quality! Is it just me? Has anyone else experienced this? I love the new curve!
Old 07-08-2007, 07:44 AM   #2
jsternbach

Model: 8320
PIN: 24218F0B
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgallego13 View Post
So I just got back from exchanging my 2 week old curve after the 1st one would constantly reboot while browsing the net on the device. After first getting a feel for the new device that the rep at the store gave me, it felt different! It just felt heavier and more solid. As if it were better quality! Is it just me? Has anyone else experienced this? I love the new curve!
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. My friends that work at cingular have always told me, don't get the first and sometimes the second wave of new released devices. This is for the fact that, these waves always are more prone to bugs, hardware problems, and physical imperfections. For instance, the pearl's battery door in the first and second run would always come sliding off and would never lock. But, after a couple rounds, att/cingular/rim fixed that problem and the battery door didn't slide off anymore. The same is probably happening with the curve. Let us know if there's any software changes as well as physical changes. I.e. No more squeeky sides, etc...
Old 07-08-2007, 07:47 AM   #3
BBChristopher
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000

Haven't heard there was a new model out or anything...

Any specific differences?
850, 950, 957, 7100, 7130, 8100, 8800, 8310, 9000
Old 07-08-2007, 09:48 AM   #4
jgallego13

Few differences I noticed:

Build:

1. No more loose right side on body that squeaks.

2. Feels heavier and rock solid. You can really tell difference in the quailty of the build.

3. All keypad buttons feel stiffer and in place. (keypad was pretty soft and loose on previous curve)

Software:

1. My old Curve had the same AT&T load up screen when using Media Net and the BlackBerry browser, now the AT&T logo loads up on the Media Net, and Blackberry logo loads on the Blackberry browser. (I am assuming there was a problem with the old curve I had in the software which always caused a reboot when surfing the net on the blackberry browser.)

All in all, I can now say I am FULLY satisfied with my Curve!
Old 07-08-2007, 10:11 AM   #5
rogermac1975
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: The New AT&T

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Hopefully this means they have fixed the dust issue. I get my curve tomorrow and its apparently that loose right side that let's dust into the screen. Let me know if you see the dust thing.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:13 AM   #6
NCBuckeye
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: 4.6

I stated that in another thread when I exchanged mine, seemed heavier.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:22 AM   #7
rogermac1975
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: The New AT&T

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Hopefully I will get a good one.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:19 PM   #8
six2one
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 240993fc
Carrier: AT&T/NSA

i started a thread on the browser restart issue awhile back when it would visit certain websites. it just stopped happening all of the sudden. i exchanged my last curve for a new one on friday. i felt the tracball had alot more play than it should have. so i got my 2nd curve and now i will be taking it back today because the button press for the tracball gives no feedback at all BUT the movement feeling for just moving it around is MUCH better and the keyboard is ALOT better. the side rubber is still kinda flimsy, alittle more than the first curve. and there is noticeable light leakage on the top of the screen that bothers me a bit. i have till the 12th till my 30days are up. so ill have another one today and ill report.

p.s. the optus OS was complete crap for me. all sorts of problems....rogers is so far perfect
Old 07-08-2007, 02:26 PM   #9
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by six2one View Post
i started a thread on the browser restart issue awhile back when it would visit certain websites. it just stopped happening all of the sudden. i exchanged my last curve for a new one on friday. i felt the tracball had alot more play than it should have. so i got my 2nd curve and now i will be taking it back today because the button press for the tracball gives no feedback at all BUT the movement feeling for just moving it around is MUCH better and the keyboard is ALOT better. the side rubber is still kinda flimsy, alittle more than the first curve. and there is noticeable light leakage on the top of the screen that bothers me a bit. i have till the 12th till my 30days are up. so ill have another one today and ill report.

p.s. the optus OS was complete crap for me. all sorts of problems....rogers is so far perfect

Just a little reminder, you will drive yourself nuts looking for a Curve with no issues at all! My advice would be to wait till your at&t store gets a new shipment tomorrow or Tuesday, and pick up one of the latest built Curves.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:51 PM   #10
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
Just a little reminder, you will drive yourself nuts looking for a Curve with no issues at all! My advice would be to wait till your at&t store gets a new shipment tomorrow or Tuesday, and pick up one of the latest built Curves.
Take from a man who knows...(sean76)..LOL

No phone is perfect...absolutely none. And, once you find one that is just right you will get a tiny scratch on the screen or drop it and get a tiny nick...and the world turns upside down again!!!
Old 07-08-2007, 07:09 PM   #11
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
Take from a man who knows...(sean76)..LOL

No phone is perfect...absolutely none. And, once you find one that is just right you will get a tiny scratch on the screen or drop it and get a tiny nick...and the world turns upside down again!!!

Ha Ha, ain't that the truth! I must say the build quality of the iPhone is one of the best I've ever seen though. But back to BB, the Curve will be on the money when it comes to build quality once RIM fixes any flaws.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:18 AM   #12
kingkronik

Model: 8100
Carrier: Robbers Wireless

I have a Curve from Rogers which i picked up the day it came out, and was the first person to get one from the only store in my area which had a first batch of about 30. Now being about a month later, i just saw my buddy's curve and his is way different than mine. His feels heavier, has a more firm keypad, but the biggest difference is in the color of the keypad and trackball LEDs. Mine appear to have a yellowish hue to them, whereas my buddy's are significantly more purplish.... VERY NOTICEABLE. I was very jealous because the first thing i noticed about my curve when i got it was that something just looked wrong about the LEDs, but having nothing to compare it to i just figured that was the design of the Curve. I also noticed with my buddy's that there was a creaking feeling that mine DOES NOT HAVE. i just called Rogers and ordered a replacement Curve after seeing my friends since the keypad is so much nicer.

My question is do you guys think i should just live with the ugly color LEDs which is creak free (and dust free too), or hope that the replacement wont be as bad? anyone else know what im referring to in regards to the different LED tints?? ill post pics when i get the replacement.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:54 AM   #13
jgallego13

My first curve also had those yellowish LED's you speak of. The new one now has a more White/purplish hue to it which seems brighter when lit. If you have no big reason to return yours and you're happy with it, I say keep it. If not, and can exchange it, then go ahead and exchange it.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:47 PM   #14
Steveo247

Model: 9000
Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgallego13 View Post
My first curve also had those yellowish LED's you speak of. The new one now has a more White/purplish hue to it which seems brighter when lit. If you have no big reason to return yours and you're happy with it, I say keep it. If not, and can exchange it, then go ahead and exchange it.
I ordered mine the first day they came out and got it next day. I have a bright white/purplish pearl, slight creak on the right side, and very slight key pad movement. No dust under the screen yet...

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with the device, is the weight difference of the newer build good enough to go get a replacement?

Thanks
SteveO
Old 07-11-2007, 05:45 AM   #15
neil111

Model: 8830
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsternbach View Post
My friends that work at cingular have always told me, don't get the first and sometimes the second wave of new released devices. This is for the fact that, these waves always are more prone to bugs, hardware problems, and physical imperfections.
Great point! Does anyone know what "wave" the 8830 is in at VZW? Is there any way to look at the serial number of manufacture date (if indicated) on the exterior of the box to know?

Thanks.

Last edited by neil111; 07-11-2007 at 05:47 AM..
Old 07-11-2007, 06:27 AM   #16
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil111 View Post
Great point! Does anyone know what "wave" the 8830 is in at VZW? Is there any way to look at the serial number of manufacture date (if indicated) on the exterior of the box to know?

Thanks.

This is an 8300 thread about the Curves build quality! But as for the 8830, I have one from the first batch, and it's on the money. All these new RIM phones are the same now, some are good, some are not! As for the Curve, one of the fist ones I got had that light purple, pink kind of glow to the trackball. Some have the off white glow, and some have the nicer pink, purple glow. They have all been out since the first wave though.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:09 AM   #17
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
This is an 8300 thread about the Curves build quality! But as for the 8830, I have one from the first batch, and it's on the money. All these new RIM phones are the same now, some are good, some are not! As for the Curve, one of the fist ones I got had that light purple, pink kind of glow to the trackball. Some have the off white glow, and some have the nicer pink, purple glow. They have all been out since the first wave though.
Was is kinda puple with pink mixed or was it more an off white with a glow? <vbg>
Old 07-11-2007, 08:31 AM   #18
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
Was is kinda puple with pink mixed or was it more an off white with a glow? <vbg>

Well Greg, you know I went through a ton of them! Some were that off white color (Lil yellowish), some were bright white, and about two of them had a kind of light pink, purple tone. I guess it just varies with production!
Old 07-11-2007, 10:30 AM   #19
stefandrew

I have AT&T, and my Curve has had the dust under the screen problem since my first week of having it. It's just over a month old now. I'm wondering, how do I go about getting it exchanged? Is this something that they will exchange it over or does it have to be something more serious?

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:37 AM   #20
neil111

Model: 8830
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
This is an 8300 thread about the Curves build quality!
Sorry about that, I realized it after I posted... I reposted the question in the 8800 area.
Closed Thread