donjt81
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Default google maps

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I was wondering if you guys can help me out with google maps. I am stuck on the terms and conditions screen and after a while it just times out. It says Loading please wait and just sits there.

Carrier: ATT
Phone: Pearl

I do not have the blackberry connect plan. I am using a regular "unlimited data" bundle and I can get on the internet using Opera4 and everything works fine except for the Google Maps.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

i dont know how many time this has been said over and over! BUT YOU NEED A BB DATA PLAN!!!

its great that opera works but nothing else will.... get the BB data or else it wont
Old 07-09-2007, 11:31 PM   #3
Vmalho2

Carrier: AT&T

Thats not always true, I updated my OS to the "NEW ATT" and i have a browser icon that has "media NEt" which lets me surf the web. I dont have a blackberry plan and now i dont need one because i just check my mail through media net. Also, google maps was workign for me, try downloading the new OS. Best of luck
Old 07-10-2007, 09:48 AM   #4
donjt81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Scheuer View Post
i dont know how many time this has been said over and over! BUT YOU NEED A BB DATA PLAN!!!

its great that opera works but nothing else will.... get the BB data or else it wont
Dude chill out alright...

obviously you dont know what you are talking about because google maps does work without the bb plan. And i'm just trying to figure out why its not working on mine.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:57 AM   #5
dlpisgreat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

Do you just get squares with a circle in them?

You may need to get into your advanced options and set your APN information.

For my T-MO Pearl, here is where I go.

Home Screen > Applications > Options > Advanced Options > TCP

My apn is wap.voicestream.com

T-Mo used to be called VoiceStream before they were bought out. (For those who care)

Just need a data plan with your provider, which I believe you stated that you had.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpisgreat View Post
Do you just get squares with a circle in them?

You may need to get into your advanced options and set your APN information.

For my T-MO Pearl, here is where I go.

Home Screen > Applications > Options > Advanced Options > TCP

My apn is wap.voicestream.com

T-Mo used to be called VoiceStream before they were bought out. (For those who care)

Just need a data plan with your provider, which I believe you stated that you had.
He's not on TMobile so your APN settings are of no use to him. He has Opera working so Google *should* too, although I've not tried it without a BB data plan. Make sure your AT&T/Cingular APN settings are as follows:

APN: WAP.CINGULAR

Username: [email address]

Password: CINGULAR1

Last edited by John Clark; 07-10-2007 at 11:16 AM..
Old 07-10-2007, 04:21 PM   #7
dlpisgreat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl

I didn't mean to imply that my T-MO setting would work. Just trying to provide an idea of what to put in.

I was trying to remember back when I had a similar issue. I think I had browser access but no maps, but then that was BBMaps, not Google. APN settings fixed that.

Thank you for supplying the correct carrier information. It makes the search capabilities of this forum that much better. But then, you already know that being a moderator.

Last edited by dlpisgreat; 07-10-2007 at 04:24 PM..
Old 07-10-2007, 05:09 PM   #8
donjt81

I got the following from the google groups but I cant seem to find the "Network access" or "Network permissions" option on my Pearl. Does anyone know where this is?

Quote:
I get a "Netwok Unavailable" error on my BlackBerry. How do I fix this?

This error may be related to certain configurations on your BlackBerry. First, please make sure you have granted network access or permissions to Google Maps for mobile. In general, this means:
Accessing your mobile phone's list of downloads and/or applications and highlighting "Google Maps."
Selecting "Settings," "Options," or the like with "Google Maps" still highlighted.
Selecting "Network access" or "Network permissions," depending on your phone.
Changing "Ask every time" to "Ask first time" for Network access, or "Allow once" to "Always allow" for Network permissions.
Saving your changes.

Next, if you have "IPPP for 5 Click (IPPP)" or "E-mail set up [IPPP]" entries in your Service Book, you'll need to correct your network configuration. To do so, please follow these steps:

Access Options > Service Book or Tools > Settings > Service Book on your device.
Delete the entry "IPPP for 5 Click (IPPP)" or "E-mail set up [IPPP]."
Access Options > Host Routing Table or Tools > Settings > Host Routing Table.
Click "Register Now."
This shouldn't affect other applications on your BlackBerry.

We also recommend contacting your mobile service provider to confirm that you have the latest web browser and BlackBerry OS versions that are currently available.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:27 PM   #9
Visioninc

PIN: 23EE1152

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpisgreat View Post
I didn't mean to imply that my T-MO setting would work. Just trying to provide an idea of what to put in.

I was trying to remember back when I had a similar issue. I think I had browser access but no maps, but then that was BBMaps, not Google. APN settings fixed that.

Thank you for supplying the correct carrier information. It makes the search capabilities of this forum that much better. But then, you already know that being a moderator.
So by inputting in the APN it will allow you to have live google maps (meaning where your currently at, etc.) Let me know because I;ve been wanted this google map program to work and it has of yet!

-Vision
Old 07-10-2007, 05:33 PM   #10
kensing65
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Default Google Maps with ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjt81 View Post
Hi,

I was wondering if you guys can help me out with google maps. I am stuck on the terms and conditions screen and after a while it just times out. It says Loading please wait and just sits there.

Phone: Pearl

I do not have the blackberry connect plan. I am using a regular "unlimited data" bundle and I can get on the internet using Opera4 and everything works fine except for the Google Maps.

I just went thru this myself last week. I'm on the latest OS for ATT and found that if I loaded the maps thru the pc/desktop software I would get to Term/Conditions and it would just hang like it is doing for you. I also uninstalled and tried to download it right from the blackberry browswer. This would give me another window that said the google file was trying to change device settings. Whether you clicked yes or no, this would not get rid of that window so with this, I had to actually remove the battery and restart the blackberry. With luck this time once I did that the maps program worked and is currently working fine on mine. Hope this helps...
Old 07-10-2007, 08:43 PM   #11
johnnyshu

Model: 7100
Carrier: cingular
Default solution

or how about this just stop being stingy and spring for the actual bb package, and stop trying to manipulate the system. Usually the problems go away then.....Just a suggesting
Old 07-10-2007, 09:15 PM   #12
karaokesuperstar
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: EAPPLE
Carrier: Tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshu View Post
or how about this just stop being stingy and spring for the actual bb package, and stop trying to manipulate the system. Usually the problems go away then.....Just a suggesting
You call someone stingy because they don't get the plan?!? Maybe he doesn't need it... or how about this? why don't you relearn how to use grammar? ...just a suggestion.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:38 PM   #13
DeuceMagnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaokesuperstar View Post
You call someone stingy because they don't get the plan?!? Maybe he doesn't need it... or how about this? why don't you relearn how to use grammar? ...just a suggestion.
lol...good one.

Anyways, just go to Options, Advanced Options, Applications, and then click the menu key when you have google maps highlighted. The next screen you click the trackball to ALLOW under all permissions. It fixed my exact same problems.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:41 PM   #14
Visioninc

PIN: 23EE1152
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMagnum View Post
lol...good one.

Anyways, just go to Options, Advanced Options, Applications, and then click the menu key when you have google maps highlighted. The next screen you click the trackball to ALLOW under all permissions. It fixed my exact same problems.
I did this and it just shows updating location but it never gives me where I'm at... Why is that???

-Vision
Old 07-11-2007, 08:33 PM   #15
DeuceMagnum

Wait. You say that you are using Google maps, then why are you wating for it to show you where you are at. It is just maps, not a standalone GPS application. If you want GPS, you need to purchase a bluetooth GPS receiver to show you where you are at. ????
Old 07-11-2007, 10:07 PM   #16
donjt81

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshu View Post
Hey johnny boy sorry I was away all day and just got back to the forums... wow that is a great "suggesting" how come I never thought of that before. Paying extra 15 bucks a month for BB data plan is exactly what I need to do. Thanks for telling me what kind of plan I need.

Nothing will make me happier than giving away money to att. I just love giving away money... or maybe I can offer some great "suggestings" as you have just offered me. You shouldnt give those "suggestings" for free man... you should charge people for that. Well I fell so lucky to have gotten your awesome "suggesting" for free. You rock man!

Thanks karaokesuperstar for gettin my back...
Old 07-11-2007, 10:11 PM   #17
donjt81

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMagnum View Post

yea i have already tried this to no avail. its wierd because my friend has exactly the same plan and he can get it to work. I dont know what it is on my pearl.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:23 PM   #18
DeuceMagnum

uninstall and then reinstall...???
Old 07-12-2007, 08:49 PM   #19
shakuyi

Model: 8310
PIN: 2425A121
Carrier: at&t