BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
bikedogrun
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: Sprint
Default 8830 Media Player - Not Showing All Songs???

Please Login to Remove!

OK - I got to admit it, this one has me stumped. I've copied close to 2 GB of MP3s over to a SanDisk 2GB microSD via mass storage mode from my WinXP PC.

Copy over went fine, when connected via the USB cable in MSS mode ... I can (from the PC) not only see all of the MP3s, I can even play them!

But - the Media Player on my 8830 is only seeing/listing approx 3/4 of those same MP3s???

If I take the same microSD and put it in my Pearl, all of the songs are shown and playable. I've even swapped & reformatted two different microSD cards and each time the Media Player on the 8830 just doesn't show certain songs (sometimes the same ones and sometimes different ones)???

Anyone got a clue or seen anything like this??? The 8830 works perfectly in all other ways that I've tried.

/BD
Old 07-14-2007, 06:31 PM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Which format are the songs in? to your surprise, that may be all of the space your card can hold. For example, wma will take up less space than some of the other formats. I don't think the card gives you a full 2 GB anyway. I thought it was around 1.8.

LET'S GO CANES!

Last edited by akosnitzky; 07-14-2007 at 06:32 PM..
Old 07-14-2007, 06:34 PM   #3
bikedogrun
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Which format are the songs in? to your surprise, that may be all of the spacw your card can hold. I don't think the card gives you a full 2 GB anyway. I thought it was around 1.8.
All of the songs on the microSD are MP3s @ 128bps.

They are all DEFINITELY on the card, they are seen and played by my Pearl's Media Player and from the PC when connected as well. It is just the 8830's Media player that won't show or play them???

/BD
Old 07-14-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: *

Report it to RIM or Sprint (if you dare). It's probably yet another bug. On mine sometime the player won't go from one song to the other when the previous song finished playing.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:37 PM   #5
packetknife
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Verizon

On my VZW 8830 in both Music and Ringtones it doesn't show the whole list that is on the phone. In Ringtons it actually changes as I use it more.. sometimes it shows 'My' Ringtones properly, other times they show up in 'All', etc.

The Media Player is still quite buggy. I've had a number of resets while in media to add to the troubles. -Pk
Old 07-14-2007, 11:18 PM   #6
RoC1909
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
Report it to RIM or Sprint (if you dare). It's probably yet another bug. On mine sometime the player won't go from one song to the other when the previous song finished playing.
Strange, I thought the 8800 series wouldn't go to the next song UNLESS you used the 'next' option OR you create a playlist. My 8800 would only play the song I wanted and that was it. That is until I created playlists.

As for on topic, the only thing I could think of it being as well is that some of the songs are not in mp3 format.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:47 AM   #7
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoC1909 View Post
Strange, I thought the 8800 series wouldn't go to the next song UNLESS you used the 'next' option OR you create a playlist. My 8800 would only play the song I wanted and that was it. That is until I created playlists.
That is not the case because the Media Player on mine worked fine with version .66 from Verizon. It wasn't until the .123 version from Sprint/Bell that the Media Player stared doing the "I don't feel like playing the next song" bit. I know it's a bug because when the song ends the Player addes 4-5 secs to the song time in the play time and then the "tic" that happes with the trackball doesn't work anymore and as long as you leave the song "playing/stuck at the end" like that you can switch apps and the "tic" is still gone and the phone acts up. If you click on STOP for the song you get the "tic" back and everything acts normally. It's definatly a software bug that RIM didn't catch.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:15 AM   #8
bikedogrun
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok - I've been experimenting and I may have solved this problem (at least for me)!

Background -
My MP3s were stored on the 2GB SanDisk card in 2 different ways ... Full CDs where I wanted all of the songs were in Folders by artist name and then inside those folders were folders by CD Title, which then held all of the songs.

I also had approx 60 individual songs that were not in folders, but were simply at the "root" level of the music folder on the microSD card.

Resolution -
What I noticed was that all of the songs in the music folder were showing in Media Player, but the Folders (by Artist/Album) were only available starting from "A" and down through letter "M". Every single folder where the artist name started after the letter "N" down to "W" were the ones missing!

As a test, I took all of the songs from 5 artists that were not showing, put those songs directly into the Music Folder @ root level and then deleted (from the microSD card) all of the Artist/Album folders. I probably moved about 20 songs and deleted 10 folders. BINGO That must have freed-up enough slots in the Media Players file/folder list because now EVERYTHING is showing (and playing) ... even the many, many MP3s that are still in nested folders by Artist/Album. Very Weird, but all now seems to work.

/BD
Old 07-15-2007, 11:46 AM   #9
RoC1909
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikedogrun View Post
Ok - I've been experimenting and I may have solved this problem (at least for me)!

Background -
My MP3s were stored on the 2GB SanDisk card in 2 different ways ... Full CDs where I wanted all of the songs were in Folders by artist name and then inside those folders were folders by CD Title, which then held all of the songs.

I also had approx 60 individual songs that were not in folders, but were simply at the "root" level of the music folder on the microSD card.

Resolution -
What I noticed was that all of the songs in the music folder were showing in Media Player, but the Folders (by Artist/Album) were only available starting from "A" and down through letter "M". Every single folder where the artist name started after the letter "N" down to "W" were the ones missing!

As a test, I took all of the songs from 5 artists that were not showing, put those songs directly into the Music Folder @ root level and then deleted (from the microSD card) all of the Artist/Album folders. I probably moved about 20 songs and deleted 10 folders. BINGO That must have freed-up enough slots in the Media Players file/folder list because now EVERYTHING is showing (and playing) ... even the many, many MP3s that are still in nested folders by Artist/Album. Very Weird, but all now seems to work.

/BD
Glad you got it working!

RoC
Old 07-15-2007, 03:52 PM   #10
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikedogrun View Post

Background -

Resolution -

/BD
Damn, didn't even think of that because common sense told me to just put the files in the Music directory WITHOUT putting them in subfolders in there.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:10 PM   #11
bikedogrun
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
Damn, didn't even think of that because common sense told me to just put the files in the Music directory WITHOUT putting them in subfolders in there.
Possibly ... but on the Pearl (whose Media Player did NOT automatically identify & sort by Artist/Album/Genre) that led to an ugly and unorganized huge list of single songs!

Now that we all know that the 8830's newer Media Player will organize by the ID Tags, I will slowly start to remove those folders until everything is indeed at the root level in the Music Folder.

Thanks to all who contributed their thoughts & ideas ...

/BD
Old 07-16-2007, 10:48 AM   #12
EmptyInTheHead

I've been fighting this media player in both version .66 & .123, although the .123 version is better it still has the same behavior described in this thread. I believe the problem is that it does not index properly. It doesn't matter whether MP3's are in folders or all in the root. A reset, either a battery pull or Alt-Shift-Del will force it to reindex everything. After a reset, give it some time to index and all of your stuff should appear. I've gotten in the habit of doing a reset after I load new stuff. Then I go into media player an select Artist. I then wait until the list is built and I know all artists are included. It seems like if you go into anything deeper than that before the list is indexed, it stops building the index and won't rebuild it without a reset.

Good luck.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:45 PM   #13
SDCromer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650

I had the same problem with media player and then I pulled the battery and rebooted the unit. Then all of my songs would show up. HTH
Old 10-04-2007, 03:27 PM   #14
kd78

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyInTheHead View Post
I've gotten in the habit of doing a reset after I load new stuff. Then I go into media player an select Artist. I then wait until the list is built and I know all artists are included. It seems like if you go into anything deeper than that before the list is indexed, it stops building the index and won't rebuild it without a reset.

Good luck.
Rebooting def helps but it still never shows all the artists/songs. I have done what you suggest and just wait on the screen that says artists but it is never populated with all the remanaining artists. How long did you wait on that screen?

Are there any other answers to this issue?
Old 10-04-2007, 11:55 PM   #15
masmusic

Here is another post on crackberry forums where this issue has been discussed. Media Player - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
Old 10-22-2007, 09:24 AM   #16
johnlatessa

Model: iPh 5
Default Here's how I solved it

Formatted the card (from the device itself).

Mass storage mode enabled. Connect to PC.

Copy all songs to the music directory with no sub-folders.

Pull the battery, wait a few seconds, then put it back in.

Let the unit sit for a few minutes while the index rebuilds.

All is fine

======

Also, I use the 4.1 version of the Desktop Software- without all the Roxio crap.

Everything works great!
Closed Thread