Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 02:47 PM   #1
Adikari
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100T
Default Is BES needed for programmatic HTTP connection

Please Login to Remove!

Hi:

IS BES needed to open HTTP connection programmatically from a J2ME mobile application? Please clarify.

Thanks,
Adikari
Old 05-12-2005, 03:18 PM   #2
Rambler
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7750
Carrier: AT&T

Nope, if it is available, a device will utilize its own TCP stack (BB OS v3.8+) to access the internet. Some device configuration may be necessary, and you may need to specify arguments to the connection string stating whether it should use deviceside TCP or not, but MDS is not required.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:30 PM   #3
DoomBringer

Model: 7280
Carrier: cingular, no wait, AT&T

You can also use the carrier specific WAP gateway. You append the WAP gateway values to the connection URL string. It is a PITA...
Old 05-13-2005, 01:28 AM   #4
Adikari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler
Nope, if it is available, a device will utilize its own TCP stack (BB OS v3.8+) to access the internet. Some device configuration may be necessary, and you may need to specify arguments to the connection string stating whether it should use deviceside TCP or not, but MDS is not required.
Hi:

Thanks for your response. I am slightly confused.Could you please clarify on this.

Did you mean the device will use its own TCP / HTTP stack if MDS is unavailable? I would think that the device will not require TCP / HTTP stack if internet connectivity is off-loaded to MDS. Could you please throw some more light on this?

Thanks,
Adikari
Old 05-13-2005, 07:01 AM   #5
sircharleswl

Model: 7100G

I had lots of problems (and still am having lots of issues) doing HTTP programming on the BB. What I have found is that you need to have a APN server under settings > options > tcp. This address depends on the carrier for example on a cingular I have to have it set to APN: wap.cingular USER: [email address] PASSWORD: CINGULAR1. On a T-mobile the APN is wap.voicestream.com no username/password.

It seems like every other attempt to connect (on the apps I write and other apps I have downloaded that us http) fail somehow.

The devices I am using are enabled with the blackberry data plans (MDS). So you should not need to use BES but maybe the settings would be different and it would be more reliable then 50% of the time. If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix my problems let me know. I alway get tunnel errors, malformed address errors, and dns errors.

The code I have had the best luck with so far is the http demo included with the JDE...but for all I know this could be the cause of my connection issues.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:41 PM   #6
DoomBringer

Model: 7280
Carrier: cingular, no wait, AT&T

In general, the best, most reliable results come from using a BES MDS setup. After that, you can use the builtin TCP stack, or use the WAP Gateway.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:06 PM   #7
Adikari

Default Problem running JDE sample HTTPDemo.java

Quote:
Originally Posted by sircharleswl
I had lots of problems (and still am having lots of issues) doing HTTP programming on the BB. What I have found is that you need to have a APN server under settings > options > tcp. This address depends on the carrier for example on a cingular I have to have it set to APN: wap.cingular USER: [email address] PASSWORD: CINGULAR1. On a T-mobile the APN is wap.voicestream.com no username/password.
Hi:

I am able to run the HTTPDemo included with the JDE 4.0 download with MDS turned on. I would like to run the HTTDemo without MDS. In that regard I would like to know the following:

How to set the APN configuration in the simulator?

Is it possible to simulate a particular wireless ervice provider connectivity (such as NexTel, T-Mobile etc.) in the simulator?

I am not getting the TCP option under the options setting for the 7780 simulator as mentioned in the FAQ on the page:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=2185

Can some one let me know how to do this.

TIA,
Adikari

Last edited by Adikari; 05-15-2005 at 10:37 AM..
Old 05-27-2005, 09:58 AM   #8
harish_elasappa

Model: 7100
Lightbulb

Hi any one out there to to tell how to code for http conection i need to connect to my server from blackberry
Old 05-28-2005, 04:41 AM   #9
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

You can't use APN inside a simulator since APN requires a carrier and the simulator does not use a real carrier -- You must test with a real BlackBerry.

Applications that work with MDS, usually do not require modification to run over the TCP/IP stack, provided end users follow the instruction in my Internet HOWTO. You will require beta testers to verify this.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Closed Thread