Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 08:28 PM   #21
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Please Login to Remove!

***image removed***

Dude, that is totally offensive. I have seen that on many forums that cater to the 15-18 year-old crowd (which you may be a part of)...but to those of us who are older and have some experience with mentally challenged children...that is not cool at all. Totally tasteless and juvenile...

Grow up.

Last edited by JSanders; 07-21-2007 at 12:24 AM..
Old 07-20-2007, 09:51 PM   #22
slider8300

Model: 8300
PIN: 2404b8e4
Carrier: Cingular

I agree with the last gentleman. I have family and friends who have mentally challenged children and would only say if there were more of these loving children in the world it would be a better place.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:34 PM   #23
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)
Thumbs down

i kinda have to say that greg and sakman really jumped on sean here. I mean his post was his observations and i think they seemed very educated. If someone loves to switch devices then more power to them, no need to ridicule fthem for putting used devices out there, or to say that they shouldnt waste their money on iphone and that people will be flushing them when the curve comes out..

I know greg does alot of good on here but in this instance he stooped to a level of ridicule that was unwarrented. As for sakman, no surprise.

Alos, yeah that picture is not cool.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:38 PM   #24
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

I am suprised that a mod hasn't removed the picture in the post above yet...

Guess they think it's funny too. Very sad...
Old 07-21-2007, 12:26 AM   #25
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
I am suprised that a mod hasn't removed the picture in the post above yet...

Guess they think it's funny too. Very sad...
Davis, and I'm surprised at the pretty broad assumptions you choose to make there, eh?
Old 07-21-2007, 06:20 AM   #26
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Davis, and I'm surprised at the pretty broad assumptions you choose to make there, eh?

Sorry, J...

Maybe I was a little too quick on the trigger, and assumed wrongly. Thanks for the cleaning.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:19 PM   #27
kenhawk

PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

I had a similar experience with the iPhone. Returned it after 2 weeks and went directly back to the Curve. The 2nd Curve I got after returning the unreliable iPhone was much better than the first.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:22 PM   #28
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

I humbly apologize for getting caught up in this mess. As far as the image, I did not see it as it has been removed and glad it was.

I went to the AT&T store today and they allowed me to play with the iPhone for near 30 minutes. I must say I was impressed! It operated as fast as what I saw on the TV ads with pictures moving smoothly at the swipe of a finger.

In the end I loved everything about it except the keyboard. If this device had a real QWERTY keyboard my Blackberry would be in real danger. I also am a little fearful of the battery life of this device.

It is a slick device, but not slick enough to leave my 8300.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:24 PM   #29
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
I humbly apologize for getting caught up in this mess. As far as the image, I did not see it as it has been removed and glad it was.

I went to the AT&T store today and they allowed me to play with the iPhone for near 30 minutes. I must say I was impressed! It operated as fast as what I saw on the TV ads with pictures moving smoothly at the swipe of a finger.

In the end I loved everything about it except the keyboard. If this device had a real QWERTY keyboard my Blackberry would be in real danger. I also am a little fearful of the battery life of this device.

It is a slick device, but not slick enough to leave my 8300.

Same here Greg, whole thing blown out of proportion! Anywho, see I told you the iphone was a sick device. But as the story goes, it just was not enough to knock out the champ (BlackBerry). You do however get used to the keyboard on the iphone after a few days! Sadly I cant say the same for the battery, because after using an 8800 the iphone battery life is something that us BB users can never get used too (it stinks). These days I'm pretty content with my Curve, that is until something else hits the market!
Think- 9xxx BB series, or a much improved iphone! We'll See...

Last edited by sean76; 07-22-2007 at 04:33 PM..
Old 07-22-2007, 06:37 PM   #30
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Thanks Sean.

I know everyone wants the smallest device but me, with large hands, would not mind the iPhone being larger to double the size of the battery! <vbg>

I also would not mind a nice fold out keyboard! You are right, it is slicker than snot!
Old 07-22-2007, 07:52 PM   #31
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

I have to chime in here...because I too just returned from my friendly neighborhood AT&T store, and playing with an iPhone again. Actually it was my second time, with the first being the night of the release date...but that was only for a few minutes. I got hold of my favorite salesperson (I call her the "Smartphone Superwoman"), and she let me try one for nearly an hour.

And the verdict?

I want one. Like Greg said...it is very slick, and will be a challenge not to drop. I made several calls to test the earpiece volume...and it is just too low. The BB 8300 has it beat in that category, and in incoming call quality by a mile!! The web browser was actually faster than I had thought, although it did "stop" suddenly and I had to reboot the device. The keypad is weird...and it took me nearly a solid 30-minutes to not feel like a complete klutz typing without any kind of tactile feedback from the screen vs. the qwerty on the Curve. I was definately impressed though...and if the volume and stability issues are addressed successfully...I can't say that I might not jump ship.

But until major changes are made...I'm pretty happy with my BlackBerry.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:04 PM   #32
wblovett
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: T-Mo
Default Curve to iPhone back to Curve

I did the same thing, although for no other reason than I just like the Curve better. A lot to love on the iPhone, but more to love with the Curve.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:24 PM   #33
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Here is my take:
From my perspective & experience the iPhone & BlackBerry are in two different categories. The iPhone is a mobile entertainment device that happens to have a phone, & the BlackBerry is a stellar communications & personal productivity device. I purchased an iPhone when they were first released. Based on my experience with Apple products over the years, the second generation is always so much better as they have the bugs worked out. While I will say the iPhone I had was not bad, Some of the shortcomings were rather significant. Such as a lack of cut & paste, no user replaceable battery, no expansion slot for memory slot & on & on. I also have a problem with the proprietary sim card. While it is removable, if placed in another regular mobile or smart phone it disables all data functions & renders the device useless for anything other than phone calls & text messages. Regarding the battery when it's time for a new one, you must send it to Apple & be without for several days is unacceptable to me.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:56 PM   #34
mortys11
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: BOLD
Carrier: rogers

i agree

i have yet to see and feel an iphone in person but looking at all the videos of it working it has a "cool" UI.

However, BB is a tough act to follow once you have had a 8300 or 8800 for a while.

i think the race is on for apple to catch up to RIM on email and other issues and RIM needs to polish up their UI+Media apps, marketing and overall BLING factor.

I think it will be a close race...i still think the BB with full qwerty is a winner.

the 8300 needs to be just a bit more slick....they are close

a little thinner, better materials, better construction, and throw in all the features ...i hate 3-4 iterations of the same case

bring on the 9900:

3G
4 mp cam with video rec
html browser
micro sdhc
GPS
wifi
higher rez screen
faster processor/on board memory
office work suite

in a nice thin/light solid case free of dust behind my screen

THAT WOULD MAKE ME HAPPY

did i forget anything?
Old 07-22-2007, 09:43 PM   #35
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortys11 View Post
i agree

i have yet to see and feel an iphone in person but looking at all the videos of it working it has a "cool" UI.

However, BB is a tough act to follow once you have had a 8300 or 8800 for a while.

i think the race is on for apple to catch up to RIM on email and other issues and RIM needs to polish up their UI+Media apps, marketing and overall BLING factor.

I think it will be a close race...i still think the BB with full qwerty is a winner.

the 8300 needs to be just a bit more slick....they are close

a little thinner, better materials, better construction, and throw in all the features ...i hate 3-4 iterations of the same case

bring on the 9900:

3G
4 mp cam with video rec
html browser
micro sdhc
GPS
wifi
higher rez screen
faster processor/on board memory
office work suite

in a nice thin/light solid case free of dust behind my screen

THAT WOULD MAKE ME HAPPY

did i forget anything?

In your closing statements,
you describe the perfect RIM BlackBerry! Hopefully RIM is in the lab putting something just like that together. As for the iphone, apple has arrived to the dance as of late. There follow up to the iphone should be a real player in the mobile tech world. But has of right now this minute, as a former iphone owner, I'll take my BB Curve over the iphone.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:07 PM   #36
test54
BlackBerry Master

i agree with you guys but also think that your wishlist for the BB will take along time for RIM to handle. That being said, I think with apple getting into the game it only pushes RIM to move faster to get these features added. I mean i read on Bog Genius that Jibi said that RIM has been ready to add the wifi in BB fro 2 years.

I agree that their are flaws with the iphone but it really depends on what you want out of your phone. Me myself I think i can be happy with either one.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:51 PM   #37
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

Glad you picked the right device

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 07-23-2007, 12:45 AM   #38
Backlash
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
So here I am with my $600 wonder phone, and I can't do anything at all, no phone calls, no music, no battery pulls, not a thing to do, except sit there and let the battery die!

So I let the battery die, and then charge it up again and everything looks fine. Right up until it did it again, this time while I was on the web Sunday, mr freeze strikes again!

I know the freeze all too well...
But, with an iPod you can manualy reset it, don't have to wait for the battery to die... I'd assume the iPhone is the same. then again... there are no buttons to reset it manualy.

isn't there buttons on the sides? I'm not sure, but i'd have to think Apple would have made some button combo make it reset. could be wrong.

Welcome back to the world of RIM, admit it, your hooked.
I played with my brother in law's new Q the other day. first thing i noticed, without the scroll ball... i just felt so out of place trying to navigate anymore.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:20 AM   #39
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
I have to chime in here...because I too just returned from my friendly neighborhood AT&T store, and playing with an iPhone again. Actually it was my second time, with the first being the night of the release date...but that was only for a few minutes. I got hold of my favorite salesperson (I call her the "Smartphone Superwoman"), and she let me try one for nearly an hour.

And the verdict?

I want one. Like Greg said...it is very slick, and will be a challenge not to drop. I made several calls to test the earpiece volume...and it is just too low. The BB 8300 has it beat in that category, and in incoming call quality by a mile!! The web browser was actually faster than I had thought, although it did "stop" suddenly and I had to reboot the device. The keypad is weird...and it took me nearly a solid 30-minutes to not feel like a complete klutz typing without any kind of tactile feedback from the screen vs. the qwerty on the Curve. I was definately impressed though...and if the volume and stability issues are addressed successfully...I can't say that I might not jump ship.

But until major changes are made...I'm pretty happy with my BlackBerry.
What is really scarey is that BOTH of us would be tempted to leave our RIM devices if they just fixed a few things. The battery can be fixed but the keyboard, hard to fix that! I can not get that fantastic screen moving at the flick of my finger!

Are you watching RIM! Start working on it now! I have only a limited time on earth and would love to see this in a RIM device.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:20 AM   #40
test54
BlackBerry Master

Grege, they do offer rental phones while the iphone's batter or anything else is being fixed replaced. They do however charge $29 for the rental fee for the phone and $600 if someone never returns the rental phone.
Apple - Support - iPhone Out-of-warranty Battery Replacement Program
Apple - Support - iPhone - Service FAQ

I dont know if they will change the way they deal with batteries on these as i think they want to use the same batteries as the ipods and they are notoriously stubborn in changing their designs.

I agree too that the multi-touch tech is the best thing about the iphone and hope to see more of it in the future.