Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 03:52 PM   #81
b13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
PIN: 2408BC18
Carrier: cingular

Please Login to Remove!

you dont need a data plan to browse the internet, uf you dont have the BB Browser then get Opera Mini, you can browse the net but you will charged for every KB or something, im not sure!
but good luck!
Old 07-26-2007, 03:57 PM   #82
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by b13 View Post
but you will charged for every KB or something, im not sure!
If you get charged for usage (which you will), then how is this a FREE solution?

In case you missed the point of this topic, the OP is looking for a FREE solution for web browsing on the BlackBerry.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:00 PM   #83
baltee
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: All
PIN: ..
Carrier: Rogers

Interesting..... thank you for the positives replies anyways. My understanding was that I was answering the original question of getting data onto the device...... This approach simply allows you to do updates, surf, etc while in a "location" and work in an offline mode the rest of the time. (Much like the haydays of Palms and such.) Details for the other methods, I'm thinking are beyond the scope of many users. (for example you can use a heavily modified/hacked linksys router to act as a gateway..., a secondary wireless device, etc) The instructions I posted are for simplicity sake to get something up and perhaps inspire a few others to use or come up with similar solutions. I have a number of these running with no Desktop Manager, just running the Blackberry Device Manager only...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
Yes but how many applications are available in OTA only? If you do not have a data plan then what applications can you really use on the BB? A few yes and they all can be installed via DM...

Now having said that.... I am on Linux and can't use DM.. It's either OTA or use a Win machine for me... Will his fix work for me on Linux? NOPE, once again you need DM installed....

As I stated earlier... The BlackBerry is a mobile device.... It is not intended to be handcuffed to a PC in order to achive functionality...

Kris
Sometimes it's not worth the effort to do the load via the desktop manager. Some sites just show you the OTA and you have to dig for the ALX/COD, or have to manually create one... Not that it's all that difficult to do.

Linux..... Hmmmm.... I run both Vista and Open SUSE 10.2. I also have the desktop router running on both and it runs well. On Linux the initial install is quite fun, but like anything else, once it's in it works beautifully. Who said you cannot run the Blackberry DM on linux btw?

The Blackberry is a mobile device no matter whether it has data on it or not... and in the cases where it doesn't have a data plan it's just nice to have another option. That is all it is.

Cheers
Old 07-26-2007, 05:10 PM   #84
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltee View Post

Linux..... Hmmmm.... I run both Vista and Open SUSE 10.2. I also have the desktop router running on both and it runs well. On Linux the initial install is quite fun, but like anything else, once it's in it works beautifully. Who said you cannot run the Blackberry DM on linux btw?
You *might* want to share this with the rest of the Linux community... I do believe you are the only person on the planet earth using DM in Linux / Unix...

Kris
Old 07-26-2007, 05:25 PM   #85
karaokesuperstar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
PIN: EAPPLE
Carrier: Tmo

Quote:
You *might* want to share this with the rest of the Linux community... I do believe you are the only person on the planet earth using DM in Linux / Unix...

Kris

Unix?!? I can see people using Linux and wanting to install it, maybe via wine? VMWare is the closest I can think that will work without testing it.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:27 PM   #86
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaokesuperstar View Post
Unix?!? I can see people using Linux and wanting to install it, maybe via wine? VMWare is the closest I can think that will work without testing it.
Yes UNIX.... FreeBSD ROCKS!

Wine does not work, try it out and see... VMWare is buggy, buggy, buggy and renders the fact that DM might be there useless....

Back on topic... There is a Linux forum for this stuff...

Kris

Last edited by LunkHead; 07-26-2007 at 05:35 PM..
Old 07-27-2007, 08:14 AM   #87
ZeroKool
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
PIN: nope
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
This entire thread is a WASTE
Next, if you don't like reading posts from certain people then block them! Try it out on me and you will see that none of my posts are viewable to you....

Have a nice day!

Kris
Wow. Since when did all the moderators get all crazy on people. I thought they are more to restore the peace and sensor this stuff. This entire thread is NOT a waste. Even though 90% of it is people bickering back and forth. I saved the post by baltee, and that makes it worth something at least.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:27 AM   #88
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Zero, being a moderator does not disallow one from having an opinion, does it? Or would you like to censor him? A mod here is nothing more than another user who often tries to help out other users, remove spam, and keep the conversation moving along on topic. Lunkhead is moderator on the FAQ sister site.

Good advice there, to block another user from view if you don't like to read those comments. Quite a "moderate" response, considering what it could have been.

Last edited by JSanders; 07-27-2007 at 08:39 AM..
Old 07-27-2007, 08:37 AM   #89
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroKool
Wow. Since when did all the moderators get all crazy on people. I thought they are more to restore the peace and sensor this stuff. This entire thread is NOT a waste. Even though 90% of it is people bickering back and forth. I saved the post by baltee, and that makes it worth something at least.
ZeroKool,

1st of all I have no moderator powers here. I am over at the BBFAQ.. Next, if you wish to quote me then attack me, please use the whole post. I attacked nobody. The user I was responding to was way out of line with his / her comments.

Next, in my opinion this thread is a waste as it offers nothin that is really usable..

Lastly, my suggestion to block a user is good advice if he / she does not wish to read their posts. This is a far better option than calling them names and degrading them.

The suggestion is an easy way to not read their posts!

Thanks and have a nice day!

Kris

Last edited by LunkHead; 07-27-2007 at 08:49 AM..
Old 07-27-2007, 08:48 AM   #90
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

I block LunkHead's posts...
Old 07-27-2007, 09:12 AM   #91
parisot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: Doesn’t matter
Carrier: Centennial

Quote:
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)
Next, in my opinion this thread is a waste as it offers nothin that is really usable..
Kris
If the thread is so useless to you, then quit posting in it.

Some people are taking the information gained from it and putting it to use. To the majority of the people here on the forums maybe it is useless but these forums are for everyone are they not? Just because I think that a thread that is about activating BES are useless because it does not apply to me does not mean that I go into it and state that the it is useless. If you think a thread is useless simply don't post in it to keep it going, all you are doing is adding your waste to this thread.

I know I know, what I am asking is so terribly difficult isn't.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:03 AM   #92
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisot

If the thread is so useless to you, then quit posting in it.

Some people are taking the information gained from it and putting it to use. To the majority of the people here on the forums maybe it is useless but these forums are for everyone are they not? Just because I think that a thread that is about activating BES are useless because it does not apply to me does not mean that I go into it and state that the it is useless. If you think a thread is useless simply don't post in it to keep it going, all you are doing is adding your waste to this thread.

I know I know, what I am asking is so terribly difficult isn't.
The main reason I post in this thread is because of my massive dislike for theft of service.. This was mentioned earlier in this thread! Some will try at any cost to skirt the system and in the end all they do is pass the cost along to honest users / subscribers...

Next, I have stated my opinion on why I think this thread is a waste... In my opinion it offers nothing that an honest subscriber who pays their bill every month would need or want..

Have a great day!

Kris

Last edited by LunkHead; 07-27-2007 at 10:05 AM..
Old 07-27-2007, 10:07 AM   #93
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:

The main reason I post in this thread is because of my massive dislike for theft of service.. This was mentioned earlier in this thread! Some will try at any cost to skirt the system and in the end all they do is pass the cost along to honest users / subscribers...

Next, I have stated my opinion on why I think this thread is a waste... In my opinion it offers nothing that an honest subscriber who pays their bill every month would need or want..

Have a great day!

Kris
Lunk I feel the same way ppl are always trying to skirt the system and what really bothers me is they dont even seem to care. And they are so openly blatant about it.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:20 AM   #94
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

There are cultural cross currents galore in this thread. Time to move on. Just my opinion.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:31 AM   #95
Gaston

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telstra

Thanks for your contribution Baltee
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltee View Post
Interesting..... thank you for the positives replies anyways.
Have you ever tried to forward TCP traffic from a PC through the BB and your corporate server to get a low cost data connection for normal web browsing using a PC?
Old 08-03-2007, 07:22 AM   #96
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

There are cultural cross currents galore in this thread. Time to move on. Just my opinion.

ok now in english
Old 08-03-2007, 07:46 AM   #97
kellysheroes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Cingular

So I take it that it is possible to run Opera Mini without the BB Data Plan... BB Browser and the Media Net Browser would be unavaliable along with the ability to recieve email alerts. When I recieved my phone and activated it; there was the message on top of the screen (Data Refused)... at the time I had the MediaNet 1 MB $4.99 plan which worked on my old phone (my carrier is Cingular). Naturally I called my sales rep; he walked me through a couple of things and then realized that I told him in the beginning of the call that I had a Blackberry Pearl and informed me that I need the Data Plan for $29.99 inorder to recieve any type of Date. I told him I would think about it. Later that night; I learned that I had to purchase the BB Data Plan inorder to receive my $100 Rebate Card. But if what your saying is true.. and I can still receive web browsing with out the BB Data Plan (Cingular offer unlimited MediaNet at $19.99)... I could live without instant email notification and save $120 a yr.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:34 AM   #98
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

kelly, you are misinformed. Without the BB Data Plan, you may be able to get Opera Mini to work with TCP. You will not have push email, you will not the internet browser, you will not have full data use. It will all be limited. Yes, instant notification is one of the hundred things you will not have available.

And you may be charged by AT&T for the data per/kb. You will have try it and see. Some people get away with, some have gotten charged.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:30 AM   #99
kellysheroes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
kelly, you are misinformed. Without the BB Data Plan, you may be able to get Opera Mini to work with TCP. You will not have push email, you will not the internet browser, you will not have full data use. It will all be limited. Yes, instant notification is one of the hundred things you will not have available.

And you may be charged by AT&T for the data per/kb. You will have try it and see. Some people get away with, some have gotten charged.
Thanks.. I'm going to stick w/ the BB Data Plan for now... but I'm going to listen and read what other people have done too... like I said; I was pretty much forced into the BB Plan by cingular anyway.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:40 AM   #100
TonyEye
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: NoMas
Carrier: NOT AT&T

The funniest part of this is that the original poster never posted another comment in this thread. He just lit the fuse and ran.
Closed Thread